Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightpanda2810

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Has anyone found one of these locally? I checked 2 local Best Buy's yesterday but they only had defenders.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
I decided to get the Commuter until the Life Proof comes out. I currently have a $5 clear case on it and it looks like CRAP but is doing the deed until the Commuter arrives. I have always had a Defender, this is my first Commuter purchase. I just hope it is a little less bulky. I ordered off of the Otterbox website since eBay prices are crazy.

jreale05

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
I decided to get the Commuter until the Life Proof comes out. I currently have a $5 clear case on it and it looks like CRAP but is doing the deed until the Commuter arrives. I have always had a Defender, this is my first Commuter purchase. I just hope it is a little less bulky. I ordered off of the Otterbox website since eBay prices are crazy.

The commuter is the right way to go man, you made a good choice. I have always used this model, and it has done very well for me. Very good protection and not as bulky and ugly as the defender IMO. I am looking to buy either the commuter or the Cygnett Workmate for my 5, havent decided yet... I dont like the color schemes on the commuters... might just have to go with black and deal with it

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
The commuter is the right way to go man, you made a good choice. I have always used this model, and it has done very well for me. Very good protection and not as bulky and ugly as the defender IMO. I am looking to buy either the commuter or the Cygnett Workmate for my 5, havent decided yet... I dont like the color schemes on the commuters... might just have to go with black and deal with it

I am sure it will do fine. The Defender on my 4 was huge and everything stuck to the rubber. I'm glad Otterbox made a more plasticky rubber this time. I think the Commuter will be fine. Excited to get it and get this clear POS off of my 5.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Can anyone post a pic of the bottom of the Commuter for the 5?
new-iphone-commuter-ports.jpg

tcung82

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
can someone post pictures of it installed on the iphone 5? i want to see how much bulk it adds.

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I just received my Preorder Otterbox Commuter from FedEx and have it installed on my iPhone 5. Otterbox has done it again, the case fits nice and snug the way it should. My phone feels good in my hands once again. I had one on my iPhone 4 for over a year. The last 24hrs I've been treating my 5 like an egg. Now that I have the security of my case I'm more relaxed. The added grip makes it a joy to handle. You can't go wrong with the Commuter.

Here are some videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NAXWhsHKuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCng5hBFX-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Jt1HspMY4

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

jreale05

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
I just received my Preorder Otterbox Commuter from FedEx and have it installed on my iPhone 5. Otterbox has done it again, the case fits nice and snug the way it should. My phone feels good in my hands once again. I had one on my iPhone 4 for over a year. The last 24hrs I've been treating my 5 like an egg. Now that I have the security of my case I'm more relaxed. The added grip makes it a joy to handle. You can't go wrong with the Commuter.

Here are some videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NAXWhsHKuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCng5hBFX-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Jt1HspMY4

How are the plugs on the bottom? Are they snug? I have a commuter on my EVO4G and am looking to get one for the IP5 when it arrives. The one problem with the one I have now is that the plugs never really stuck in the phone and the rubber ripped... Hopefully it is more snug for the iphone model. The outlets on the iphone are bigger than the tiny micro-usb and other port on the EVO

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Thank you.

tcung82

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
thanks. it looks really nice, but i am worried with all that case, itll be uncomfortable in the pockets...

cheno848

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
anybody have a commuter for both the iphone 5 and 4? Would love to see how the thickness compares. Reviews on amazon are saying its too thick. I have loved my commuter for my 4 for 2 years now.

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I've only had this iPhone 5 version for a day but the plugs are snug and stay in place. I had the iPhone 4/4s version for over a year and I never had an issue of the plugs coming loose.

As far as putting it in your pocket I've never had an issue with jeans or shorts with cargo pockets / phone pockets. Lots of times I put the phone in my back pocket and never had issues with removing my phone.

I like the coverage the case provides. I even cut a small piece of the back protection sheet that the phone came wrapped in and covered the apple logo before putting it in the case. This way it's also protected until my Wrapsol cover comes in.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Can someone explain the port covers, especially the dock. How exactly does it work? I'm worried about docking it, is it pain?

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Here is the iPhone 4S and the 5 both in Commuter cases. As you can see there the same in height. I loved the way the 4S w/case felt in my hands. The 5 now feels just as good. Even though the cases are the same size height wise, the 5 is way lighter in the hands. The 4s feels so heavy now.

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 383
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 313

tcung82

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
in terms of measurement, how thick is the case exactly when installed? (mm/cm/etc) i want to get a sense of how thick it is compared to this cheapo case i currently have on the ip5 rite now n if i should pull the trigger.

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I'm on AT&T but they have them in stock at the sprint store. See for yourself. I posted pictures but I'm not going to measure them, sorry. Try Otterbox site for specs.

jreale05

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
Here is the iPhone 4S and the 5 both in Commuter cases. As you can see there the same in height. I loved the way the 4S w/case felt in my hands. The 5 now feels just as good. Even though the cases are the same size height wise, the 5 is way lighter in the hands. The 4s feels so heavy now.

How are the plugs on the bottom? Are they snug? I have a commuter on my EVO4G and am looking to get one for the IP5 when it arrives. The one problem with the one I have now is that the plugs never really stuck in the phone and the rubber ripped... Hopefully it is more snug for the iphone model. The outlets on the iphone are bigger than the tiny micro-usb and other port on the EVO

nightpanda2810

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Managed to find one at a local Verizon store, after checking half a dozen other places lol. One guy told me they didn't make them yet LOL

I had the commuter for my 4, and let me say this one feels much more robust and just as comfortable to hold. Very happy with it overall. My only gripe is the bottom back, the plastic between the speaker/mic/ports is a little bulky and sharp (not cut your fingers sharp, just annoying), would have felt and looked better rounded off.

I give it a 5/5 for awesomeness :p

pkshooter

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I found one locally at Radio Shack. I also had the commuter on my iPhone 4. The fit/finish of the iPhone 5 cases is a bit better in my opinion. I wish the plastic next to the headphone jack had a bit wider opening. It works for some of my headphones, but my Audio Technicas do not fit. I always keep my phone in my pocket and the case is just fine for that.

----------

The plugs on my ip5 commuter are snug. On my iPhone 4 commuter case, I had to return one to otterbox because the plugs were loose on day 1. They had great customer service and sent me a replacement one right away. I understand your concern though, the case would drive me nuts if the plugs didn't stay in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.