Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I think I was forgotten customer of Apple,
because of my neuter of life I am traveling over sea and need an unlocked phone ( I can't Pay AT&T $2000 for every trip I make) I am a customer of AT&T from 2005 ( before was cingular) I pay AT&T $250 a month for my 5 line account,
AT&T refuse to unlock my phones, so I am just buying unlocked phones, like I did last time bought iPhone 4S from Apple store,
now I want an iPhone 5 but this option is not available in the USA to people like me, we have to buy it oversea or to stay with my old one
if you notice it the USA is the only county its happens,
CANADA, UK and so on people can buy the phone and it unlocked,
HOP SOMEONE AT APPLE READ IT,

blaizefm

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2009
because of my neuter of life I am traveling over sea and need an unlocked phone ( I can't Pay AT&T $2000 for every trip I make) I am a customer of AT&T from 2005 ( before was cingular) I pay AT&T $250 a month for my 5 line account,
AT&T refuse to unlock my phones, so I am just buying unlocked phones, like I did last time bought iPhone 4S from Apple store,
now I want an iPhone 5 but this option is not available in the USA to people like me, we have to buy it oversea or to stay with my old one

Yes, I certainly hope that someone at Apple hops to this.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Why would you spend $450 more on an unlocked iPhone when you could just buy an unlock code from eBay for $15?

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
USA
It's an AT&T issue not an Apple issue.

Disagree Apple sells the iPhone locked for AT&T also sell and will sell them in the further (in the USA)
AT&T can do what ever the want,
I am buying from Apple and go and use the phone where ever I want,
this option was not given to me as a USA Apple customer

----------

Yes, this is an AT&T issue, not an Apple issue
And if you want someone at Apple to read it, you should send your feedback to them directly, not post it here

Thank I will
Hop I did not offended you

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Disagree Apple sells the iPhone locked for AT&T also sell and will sell them in the further (in the USA)
AT&T can do what ever the want,
I am buying from Apple and go and use the phone where ever I want,
this option was not given to me as a USA Apple customer

You can buy the device at the no-commitment price from an Apple store and it will be unlocked. Verizon phones are unlocked, even the contract ones. This is an AT&T issue, not an Apple issue. By default, AT&T phones from any manufacturer are sold locked.

Yes, it's too bad you can't order online at the no-commitment price, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the deal with the carriers.

----------

Why would you spend $450 more on an unlocked iPhone when you could just buy an unlock code from eBay for $15?

1) Who knows who you are giving your IMEI to, and what they are doing with it?
2) The carrier can always re-lock and/or blacklist the phone it if they find out.

billinaz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Goodyear AZ.... for now.

ATT unlocks iphones if you have completed your contract.

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
The carrier requests the setup from Apple. If you want an unlocked phone, reports have indicated that you could go with Verizon. I have seen some people post that the ATT version is also unlocked but I am not sure about that because ATT has never done that in the past. This is an ATT problem not an Apple one.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
1) Who knows who you are giving your IMEI to, and what they are doing with it?
2) The carrier can always re-lock and/or blacklist the phone it if they find out.

1) There are plenty of reputable, widely used unlockers on eBay. Here's one with over 66,000 feedbacks http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlock-Code...368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abc553008
2) The odds of that are probably slim to none, I've never even heard of that. How would they find out anyway? If you're using a different carrier SIM, no data is being transmitted to AT&T. Unless they could check via the IMEI, which would be unlikely anyway unless they had a reason.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
Unlike 4s IP5 is not universal phone, so make sure you are getting a IP5 which is LTE compatible in the countries you are planning to travel. Particularly if you buy from another country with LTE not compatible with AT&T.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Unlike 4s IP5 is not universal phone, so make sure you are getting a IP5 which is LTE compatible in the countries you are planning to travel. Particularly if you buy from another country with LTE not compatible with AT&T.

Not quite true. The LTE is not universal. So far only the Kindle Fire HD LTE has a modem capable of all 10 commonly used frequencies, and it isn't out yet. However, the HSPA support is global. I agree the Verizon one has better LTE capabilities outside the US.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
USA

Yes I know i realy don't care about LTE because in Connecticut its not working
and for what I use 4G is good enough.
but you have a point is better to buy the UK one or a Verizon one I can use the verizon on the AT&T 3G band.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I just unlocked my iPhone 4 yesterday after 2 years :( I had AT&T Phone and I don't live in United states.

had to keep modem version the same for 2 years because of this until yesterday i bought unlock for 8$ @ ebay.
AT&T always refused to help me.

you can try and ask them if they also sell for iPhone 5. they called unlockfusion.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
they don't offer unlocked phones at launch because they want to make the phone available to as many people as possible. If no contract phones were available at launch, they'd all get bought up by a few resellers and sold for markups.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
They don't officially make unlocked phones available at launch, but most stores will sell device-only phones that are unlocked. I just bought one myself did about 2 hours ago. I got the "Congratulations" message when I plugged into iTunes.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
USA
they don't offer unlocked phones at launch because they want to make the phone available to as many people as possible. If no contract phones were available at launch, they'd all get bought up by a few resellers and sold for markups.

that easy to solve you just sell to an AT&T customer like me that need unlocked phone,
when I am going to buy the unlocked iPhone 5 I am continue to be AT&T customer like I did for the last 12 years,
I am only buy unlocked phones, so I am punished to not be able to buy iPhone like any one ales.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

Isn't anyone else dying to know what neuter of life means?

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
USA
They don't officially make unlocked phones available at launch, but most stores will sell device-only phones that are unlocked. I just bought one myself did about 2 hours ago. I got the "Congratulations" message when I plugged into iTunes.

did you buy an iPhone 5 GSM unlocked in the USA?

----------

Isn't anyone else dying to know what neuter of life means?

I mean traveling a lot,
can't sit on my b**T for too long in one place
:)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
did you buy an iPhone 5 GSM unlocked in the USA?

Yes, at Grand Central. Just say you want the AT&T "device-only" (not on contract). If you are traveling in Germany or the UK or don't need AT&T LTE support, the Verizon "device-only" is also an option as there are carriers that support the LTE bands on the Verizon model. However, what's doubly nice about the Verizon model is that it is unlocked even if you get the on-contract model. If I weren't on AT&T on a grandfathered $30 unlimited data and $5 text plan I'd probably jump ship. As it is, I have Verizon on my iPad so I get the best of both worlds.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
that easy to solve you just sell to an AT&T customer like me that need unlocked phone,
when I am going to buy the unlocked iPhone 5 I am continue to be AT&T customer like I did for the last 12 years,
I am only buy unlocked phones, so I am punished to not be able to buy iPhone like any one ales.

I can understand that. I guess they just figure that if they person buying it is an ATT customer, it doesn't matter if they give them one that's locked to ATT. Not a very smart decision on their part.

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012

Buy any iPhone 5 at no commitment price and it is unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.