Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:08 PM   #1
RonHC
macrumors 6502a

FIX for Yahoo Server problems, can't get mail from Yahoo

All my email services work in the mail application but yahoo. It doesn't even say if I entered the password wrong, it just says the server isn't available. Anyone else have same problem?

FIXED
Here's a video for a fix for those who are having a similar issue

Last edited by RonHC; Sep 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
RonHC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:11 PM   #2
-Knight-
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHC View Post
All my email services work in the mail application but yahoo. It doesn't even say if I entered the password wrong, it just says the server isn't available. Anyone else have same problem?
I'm getting the same issue and it's pissing me off. I had no problems with the iP4. Anyone found a workaround to get Yahoo mail to work??
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:05 PM   #3
RonHC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Knight- View Post
I'm getting the same issue and it's pissing me off. I had no problems with the iP4. Anyone found a workaround to get Yahoo mail to work??
glad I'm not the only one
I tried deleting my yahoo account and still get the "Yahoo server is unavailable"
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Renaldo63
macrumors newbie

Getting Yahoo! Mail To Work On iPhone 5

Hi -

I had same problems, but got Yahoo! mail to work on my new iPhone5 by deleting the old Yahoo! mail account and setting up a new mail account by inputting the information below for a new Yahoo! imap mail account. Make sure to go to "Add Account" and choose "Other," not the Yahoo! template, then input your Yahoo! email information. It worked for me!

How to set up IMAP on your mobile device
ID: SLN3361Refers to: Mobile Mail , Mobile

Description
This article explains how to configure your mobile device to use Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP).

Resolution
To set up Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) on your mobile device, please use the following settings:
Incoming Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Incoming Port - 993 (requires SSL)
Outgoing Port - 465 (requires SSL/TLS)
User name: full email address (for example, bill@yahoo.com or bill@rocketmail.com)
Password: the password you log in to Yahoo! with.
Note: If your Yahoo! Mail address does not match your Yahoo! ID, you will need to use the beginning of your Yahoo! Mail address when you set up your client. For example, if your Yahoo! Mail address is "jim@yahoo.com", but your Yahoo! ID is "james", you will need to use "jim" as your user name when setting up the IMAP client.
If you are having trouble setting up IMAP on your mobile device, we would recommend reviewing your phones instruction manual or contacting your mobile provider.
Renaldo63 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Renaldo63
macrumors newbie

Getting Yahoo Mail To Work On iPhone 5

Try this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo63 View Post
Hi -

I had same problems, but got Yahoo! mail to work on my new iPhone5 by deleting the old Yahoo! mail account and setting up a new mail account by inputting the information below for a new Yahoo! imap mail account. Make sure to go to "Add Account" and choose "Other," not the Yahoo! template, then input your Yahoo! email information. It worked for me!

Description
This article explains how to configure your mobile device to use Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP).

Resolution
To set up Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) on your mobile device, please use the following settings:
User name: full email address (for example, bill@yahoo.com or bill@rocketmail.com)
Note: If your Yahoo! Mail address does not match your Yahoo! ID, you will need to use the beginning of your Yahoo! Mail address when you set up your client. For example, if your Yahoo! Mail address is "jim@yahoo.com", but your Yahoo! ID is "james", you will need to use "jim" as your user name when setting up the IMAP client.
If you are having trouble setting up IMAP on your mobile device, we would recommend reviewing your phones instruction manual or contacting your mobile provider.
Renaldo63 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:44 PM   #6
28Gauge
macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problem, but with only 2 yahoo mail accounts (I have several). I will try the fix listed above.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHC View Post
glad I'm not the only one
I tried deleting my yahoo account and still get the "Yahoo server is unavailable"
I did the same thing earlier with the same results.
Airport Extreme (5th Gen), Apple TV (3rd Gen)
28Gauge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:17 PM   #7
28Gauge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi -

Description

Resolution
This worked!!! Thanks for posting this solution!!!!
Airport Extreme (5th Gen), Apple TV (3rd Gen)
28Gauge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Sherifftruman
macrumors 6502

Worked for me also. Thanks!
Sherifftruman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Renaldo63
macrumors newbie

Glad It Worked For You!

Glad getting Yahoo! mail to operate worked for you!

This is the first time I posted a solution and after the numerous times I have been helped on the forum, I am glad I could assist for once.

MacRumors!
Renaldo63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Macintosh69
macrumors member

Thank You!

OMG, I've been troubleshooting this all day...thank you for posting!

Quote:
Hi -

Description

Resolution
Macintosh69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Badfoot
macrumors 6502

Merci
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:45 AM   #12
barachus
macrumors regular

Toggling private sharing On also fixes it
barachus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:38 PM   #13
RonHC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hi -

Description

Resolution
thanks it worked, heres a video if some people need help with it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWVWEwm5wTc
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:45 PM   #14
epicollector
macrumors newbie

Alternate fix for Yahoo Mail Server Verification on iPhone 5

The methods described in these threads did not work for me after deleting the mail account settings and creating an Other Account and entering the POP mail server settings for my Yahoo business account, however I did discover another method to correct the problem.

The problem is that the Yahoo servers could not verify the iPhone 5 as an authorized device. I downloaded the Yahoo app and used it to verify the device. When you first enter your username and password, it will reset those fields and provide a verification box of letters and numbers. Enter that information (AND THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD again). This completes the verification process and Mail will work with your Yahoo account.

If you have regular Yahoo mail, you can continue to use the Yahoo app as well as Mail. Unfortunately for me, business accounts are not supported in the Yahoo app, but the Mail app still made the connection and downloaded all of the email on the server and became functional as expected, using my original POP settings.
epicollector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:26 PM   #15
howardc64
macrumors newbie

Only IMAP method worked for me. All other methods (Yahoo! app login, switch private browsing, change password etc...) didn't work. But IMAP method don't sync everything like address book which is highly desirable.

This happened when I was switching from one iPhone to another via iCloud backup and restore. I think Yahoo's security measures must be at play here but of course they provide a cryptic error message.

I just waited 12 hours and everything worked perfectly. This is the second time it happened like this (switched iPhone about a month ago and encountered the samething) I'm guessing Yahoo must have a time period to block mobile access due to what it thinks is suspicious activity.
2 x iPhone 4 T-Mobile
howardc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:19 AM   #16
markymark1984
macrumors newbie

I had this problem too. Even the guy at the store i brought the phone from couldn't work it out

Make sure you have the latest version of ios on the device. I found out a new update 6.0.1 is now out and after updating this allowed me to set up emails.
markymark1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:50 PM   #17
kenn1940
macrumors newbie

Yahoo mail

I contacted ATT office who ended up talking to Apple. Was told their is a problem with new operating system and it will beThursday of this week before their is a fix.
kenn1940 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:11 AM   #18
Setsuka090
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot

Quote:
Hi -

Description

Resolution
Thanks a lot, hours of headache from yahoo solved by your tips.
Setsuka090 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone