Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeronine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
So I've been running Battery Time Remaining app and when I go into advanced mode it says 6200/6511 mAh for the charge. If I leave the adapter in my MBA for over 10 minutes it slowly increases to above 6200. I'm guessing this is how the computer protects itself from overcharging, even though there might be other mechanisms this seems to be the best.

So if I wanted to maximize battery usage, I could technically just charge it to near 6511 mAh and reap the benefits. But I'm sure that's not advised.

I'm in the midst of checking the battery life improvement after the 10.8.2 update from full 100% to 0% (auto shutdown). The previous two times I disconnected right at 100% and green indicator and saw about 4h20m, which is at about 6200 mAh.

I would like to hear about how much deterioration there is by charging so close to the full charge, in my case, 6511 mAh.

If anyone has any advice on how they're getting such higher battery life from 10.8.2 please let us know. =)

knuro

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
So I've been running Battery Time Remaining app and when I go into advanced mode it says 6200/6511 mAh for the charge. If I leave the adapter in my MBA for over 10 minutes it slowly increases to above 6200. I'm guessing this is how the computer protects itself from overcharging, even though there might be other mechanisms this seems to be the best.

So if I wanted to maximize battery usage, I could technically just charge it to near 6511 mAh and reap the benefits. But I'm sure that's not advised.

I'm in the midst of checking the battery life improvement after the 10.8.2 update from full 100% to 0% (auto shutdown). The previous two times I disconnected right at 100% and green indicator and saw about 4h20m, which is at about 6200 mAh.

I would like to hear about how much deterioration there is by charging so close to the full charge, in my case, 6511 mAh.

If anyone has any advice on how they're getting such higher battery life from 10.8.2 please let us know. =)

Occasionally Over time, it will only stay charged to 98 then 97 then 96% and so on. I disconnect power cord let my mac air run down to auto shutoff and then charge is to full 100 %.
Is it really important to know exactly how much or not improvement an upgrade provides?
Does it give you enough life to suit your off-power needs?
Is anything more necessary?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

So if I wanted to maximize battery usage, I could technically just charge it to near 6511 mAh and reap the benefits.
There is nothing wrong with fully charging your battery. It cannot overcharge. It will charge quicker to near maximum, then charges more slowly until it's fully charged. At that point, it stops charging, even if left plugged in.
try performing a PR-Ram reset or SMC reset.
PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues, and it's not necessary in this case.
Occasionally Over time, it will only stay charged to 98 then 97 then 96% and so on.
It's normal that your battery may stop charging between 93-99%, and it's not necessary to fully drain the battery. If you drain it below 93%, it should then charge all the way. Even if it doesn't, it's not cause for concern. For details, read the CHARGING section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.