Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biggie862005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hey guys quick question. Just got my iphone 5, and was wondering if it is a problem restoring the iphone 5 from a backup of an iphone 4 in order to get all my apps pictures, texts etc. Will that cause any issues or is it fine? Thanks in advance

biggie862005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Bump, anyone know? Should I set it up as a new phone or restore from the iphone 4 backup??

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Restoring from the previous phone seems to work fine for most people. There have been a few scattered reports about restored apps not working properly (e.g. Navigon), but that can usually be resolved by reinstalling only these apps.

In the end, it's up to you. Personally I have started from scratch, and it wasn't really that much work. Most of it was re-configuring my various email/Exchange accounts, and switching over two different one-time password generators (Google Authenticator and another one I need for work), which are designed to be bound to a specific device (so this has to be done in any case even when restoring from a backup). Everything else (locally stored contacts, photos etc.) are easily restored either by syncing from a computer or from iCloud.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Hey guys quick question. Just got my iphone 5, and was wondering if it is a problem restoring the iphone 5 from a backup of an iphone 4 in order to get all my apps pictures, texts etc. Will that cause any issues or is it fine? Thanks in advance

Probably a half million people did it yesterday. Appears to work fine. There are instructions in the box.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I restored my new iPhone 5 from the iPhone 4 backup that I ran the nite before. Everything went perfectly and all content was carried over to new iPhone.

The initial restore was from the first time I connected the iPhone 4 when it was being set up (2010) and didn't transfer any Music files. After that restoration process was finished, I right-clicked on the little button next to the iPhone 5's name in iTunes and was allowed to choose which backup to use for further restoration (chose the newest backup from 09/20). After that, everything was intact on the new iPhone 5, even all of the Settings and previous Text Messages. It's great. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.