Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dckcentaur

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Does any body notice that when wearing polarized sunglasses and looking at the iPhone 5 screen it has a pretty bad green tint? My 4S only had a slight difference. Living southern California I wear sunglasses a lot. I was wondering if it is just my iPhone or others are experiencing the same issue.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Does any body notice that when wearing polarized sunglasses and looking at the iPhone 5 screen it has a pretty bad green tint? My 4S only had a slight difference. Living southern California I wear sunglasses a lot. I was wondering if it is just my iPhone or others are experiencing the same issue.

My 4S had this issue... I noticed some phones have the issue vertically and some horizontally. My 4S would be red and green when turned to landscape mode.

It probably has to do with how the reflective film was originally cut.
I am only theorizing.

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
My 4S had this issue... I noticed some phones have the issue vertically and some horizontally. My 4S would be red and green when turned to landscape mode.

I am only theorizing.

If I was turn my iPad on its side, I'd completely loose the screen. Always triped me out when wearing my prescripts.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Here is the simplified explanation:
More than you ever wanted to know about Polarization-
Polarized glasses use a film created from rolls of polyvinyl acetate which has the consistency and thickness of plastic wrap. The plastic is heated and stretched which lengthens the plastic's long chain molecules, causing them to align. It's then dipped in iodine solution which is absorbed into the molecular chains forming long grids of parallel, darkened lines that are not visible to the human eye. The film is then dyed to the color of the desired finished.
For the polarized film to be most effective in sunglasses, it's oriented to reduce the horizontal component of reflected light off a surface. Manufacturers have proprietary formulas for calculating the proper angle.

The iPhone screen is also Polarized- it's supposed to be done to a 45 degree angle allowing the most effective use in both portrait and landscape mode.
But if the angle is off and/or the angle the sunglass manufacturer uses to place their polarization film is set in a certain way, you essentially have two sets of 'invisible' grids that cut out the ambient light and can cause a screen to either darken or undergo a color shift. (take off the glasses and rotate them while looking at the iPhone screen through the lenses and you'll see the color shift and or darkening change).
That's what you are seeing.
And it isn't limited to the iPhone- all products with polarization do it to a certain extent.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

I am only theorizing.
I was going to say my 4S' screen goes completely dark when I've got my polarized sunglasses on. That would explain the differences in experiences.

dckcentaur

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So basically I should just live with it I guess. I do understand a slight tint but this is major tint change (see pic)

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,178

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Keep reading...:D

I did ;) You never said anything about all lcd products, just about all "polarised" products.

----------

So basically I should just live with it I guess. I do understand a slight tint but this is major tint change (see pic)

Yes, it's an unavoidable trait of the technology. Any phone will do this.

If you get really lucky, you won't be able to see anything on the screen at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.