Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl'd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Due to a great degree of discontent, and given the irreversibility of the switch to iOS6 on iPad2, do you expect non-jailbroken iPad2/iPhone 3GS/4/4S to increase in value over the short-term, from demand from users hoping to return their device to its former functionality? Think not only about the thousands on MacRumors, but also the tens of millions who may prefer comfortability with feature set to being on the bleeding edge of operating system updates.

I don't expect them to become beanie babies a la 1992, but when my girlfriend almost accepted the iOS6 update on my studio iPad, crippling hundreds of dollars of music production software unusable or unstable on iOS6 at present, my first thought was: "oh man, I'm going to need to find someone on Craigslist who hasn't updated their iPad yet [even if I have to pay a premium for it]". It would be kinda funny if it was Apple's own planned obsolescence strategy that led to the development of a hot secondary market for legacy devices that such strategy was designed to prevent. Thoughts?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I don't think it will increase in value just because of iOS 5 but I have learned over the years of building computers and using electronic gadgets that just because there IS an update for your device doesn't mean YOU have to have it. ;)

I have learned from experience that not ALL updates are GOOD. I have not installed iOS 6 on either my iPad 2 or iPad 3 and have NO intentions too unless i'm 100% sure it makes for a much better experience. Sorry but if SJ were alive I have no doubt he would have b*tch slapped whoever released Maps in it's current form. Apple is getting sloppy post SJ. :rolleyes:

I have a spiffy and awesome running iPad 2 if you're interested, j/k. :D

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Due to a great degree of discontent, and given the irreversibility of the switch to iOS6 on iPad2, do you expect non-jailbroken iPad2/iPhone 3GS/4/4S to increase in value over the short-term, from demand from users hoping to return their device to its former functionality? Think not only about the thousands on MacRumors, but also the tens of millions who may prefer comfortability with feature set to being on the bleeding edge of operating system updates.

I don't expect them to become beanie babies a la 1992, but when my girlfriend almost accepted the iOS6 update on my studio iPad, crippling hundreds of dollars of music production software unusable or unstable on iOS6 at present, my first thought was: "oh man, I'm going to need to find someone on Craigslist who hasn't updated their iPad yet [even if I have to pay a premium for it]". It would be kinda funny if it was Apple's own planned obsolescence strategy that led to the development of a hot secondary market for legacy devices that such strategy was designed to prevent. Thoughts?

Well, seeing as how anybody jailbroken on ios 5 can downgrade at their conviencience, i'm not sure it will go up too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.