Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:19 PM   #26
beefdongle
macrumors newbie

Had problems maintaining wifi during FaceTime and would lose the connection or have th bad connection message show up. If I sit in the same room as the router no problem.

I've haven't had problems with FaceTime calling the same person if my iPad 3 running iOS 6. No problems when we both had the iPhone 4 FaceTime from the same locations running iOS 5. I'll try additional testing later with multiple devices on both ends.

Hopefully this is just an iOS 6 issue and not a wifi hardware issue.
beefdongle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:54 PM   #27
magicbrain
macrumors regular

ditto

same here, have time capsule 1gb (older model). wherever 4s is ok, 5 drops wifi from time to time

also music streaming pauses on 5, where it didn't on 4s
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:58 AM   #28
TheRedman
macrumors newbie

FIX Found

Technically a work around. I had the same issue as everyone else. I would have auto wi-fi show up and I would connect. 30 min later I had to search for wi-fi again and connect. Days passed with samething. Here is the FIX. Ya ready.... add the connection as a manual connection. Go to OTHER and manually add the settings. It will stay connected forever and when you leave and come back to the area it automatically knows you are in the area and connects and does not drop connection.

From the DirtySouth
TheRedman JA
TheRedman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:02 AM   #29
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816

Mine drops it a bit and takes a couple of minutes to find it again once I return to within range.

I'll bet that before too long Apple issues a software fix that will resolve this issue.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:21 AM   #30
toondw
macrumors 6502

Strange but the first 2 days of ownership my iphone 5 appeared to have poor connection but now it flies and has a strong signal?
toondw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:30 AM   #31
misterjay
macrumors regular

This effing issue needs to be fixed.

Holy crap.
misterjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:58 AM   #32
paulie6978
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwstump View Post
I told them the problem I was having and they made me a genius apt to get it replaced. No problem what so ever
a brand new or refurbished one?
paulie6978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:23 PM   #33
Symtrips
macrumors newbie

semi-work around

It seems to me that it's a software issue as it can be "fixed" by going in to the wireless network settings and selecting "renew lease". My guess is that after a number of communications/time it's dropping the DHCP information and not auto-renewing.
Symtrips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:34 PM   #34
darster
macrumors 68000

Wonder if my problem is somewhat related. It's really weird. When doing a wifi sync on the iphone 5 with itunes on my imac, it always knocks my imac off the wifi network. My ipad will not do that, only my iphone 5. I will have the airport extreme utility running just to observe, and everytime the sync begins, the imac loses connection to the airport. However, the iphone 5 remains connected to the airport and functions just fine. I have rebooted imac, airport base station, iphone 5, and even did a restore as new on iphone 5.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:32 PM   #35
aznboi91
macrumors regular

I think I may or may not have solved the problem.......

When you enter your wifi settings... remember to switch on the "Ask to Join Networks" option. I had the same problem..
aznboi91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:52 PM   #36
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi91 View Post
I think I may or may not have solved the problem.......

When you enter your wifi settings... remember to switch on the "Ask to Join Networks" option. I had the same problem..
If you do that, you'll be asked for your password when you attempt to use wifi. In another thread, others had the problem of always having to sign into their own network when attempting to use wifi, every time. Turning OFF the "Ask to join networks" button resolved that problem. YMMV.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:01 PM   #37
kukheart
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to kukheart Send a message via Yahoo to kukheart
I had my iPhone 5 since day 1 and this has not been an issue for me, however I had to do a reset of it two nights ago and now when I connect it to Wifi, it only lasts a few minutes and then later it simply says 4G or LTE, so aggravating. It will connect fine, just won't STAY connected.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:11 PM   #38
The Highlander
macrumors 6502

Anyone found a fix for this????
The Highlander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:33 AM   #39
ClarkClarkie
macrumors newbie

My iphone5 ( I've had it a week) drops into 4g for about 15 seconds and then goes back to my home wi-fi. Sometimes on the Internet I will have to click a button twice if it happens while going to a new page.
NOTE: we've had four or five iPhones over the years and three iPads but never had this issue before the iphone5. Our most recent IPad3 does the EXACT SAME THING with dropping out if wi-fi, but it's not a 3G/4g one do it just stalls for about 15-20 seconds. Because of this I am convinced it is a software issue with the newer iPad/iPhones.
I've tried all the suggestions here but no such luck. I'm heading out today to buy a new top of the line router to see if that helps at all. Perhaps certain routers and the wi-fi don't play we'll together? Who knows...but I'll keep you posted.
ClarkClarkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:13 AM   #40
pinkrosepetal
macrumors newbie

my iphone 4 problem need help

i have a iphone 4s and i updated to iOS 6.1.2 and it worked great up until yesterday night it drops wifi connection when im not right by the router i have hard reset my phone i reset the router the computer everything and its still giving me problems i just thought that my mom was hogging the wifi because me and her cell phones r turned off like we cant call anyone or txt anyone we use apps to tlk to people. this is clearly something that apple needs to fix i have spoken to them multiple times and this is driving me nuts
pinkrosepetal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:51 AM   #41
darricksailo
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
Anyone found a fix for this????
I had this problem with dropping wifi in iOS 6.0.2 but after I restored it to iOS 6.1 using iTunes, the problem was fixed. (I did restore from backup too)

Updating over OTA may not fix it.
darricksailo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:22 PM   #42
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkrosepetal View Post
i have a iphone 4s and i updated to iOS 6.1.2 and it worked great up until yesterday night it drops wifi connection when im not right by the router i have hard reset my phone i reset the router the computer everything and its still giving me problems i just thought that my mom was hogging the wifi because me and her cell phones r turned off like we cant call anyone or txt anyone we use apps to tlk to people. this is clearly something that apple needs to fix i have spoken to them multiple times and this is driving me nuts
That is the longest sentence that I've seen in some time.

Also, are you saying that you use your iPhone like an iPod Touch without any telephone service?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:04 PM   #43
Marie CA
macrumors newbie

Wifi Issues unresolved

My iPhone only has problems at home within 15 feet (and beyond) of my airport repeatedly like every minute or less. Using the airport utility from the App Store my son's iphone5 bought the same day in December 2012, 2 PC laptops, wifi printer and iMac, MacTV are rated excellent connections. My iPhone 5 is rated "good."

It's NOT. IT'S HORRIBLE AND FRUSTRATING! Apple replaced the phone once.

My son's acted up at first but got better BEFORE THE UPDATE. Bad wifi attenna?

When I went into apple "Genius" she lead me to believe it was my router. Never acknowledging the problem. Of course they have super wifi at the store. I searched on the web and found it was pretty wide spread. When I had to return for the replacement I let her know I was disappointed that she didn't disclose I am not the only one having issues.

Also the plug gets really hot when recharging. First trip I got a replacement plug. It still gets really hot. I'm thinking it is a fire hazard. All Apple cords and plugs. I've found 2nd market has this problem so paying the big bucks to apple.

Oh. My iPhone 4 with no phone service has stronger wifi than the 5!

I am so disheartened I haven't called back to say I have same issue with 2nd phone. On my list of things to do.

I am lucky I have unlimited data, but it is hugely frustrating. My phone is up to date software. And I have adjusted the channels and re established connection to router so many times.

Not a tech person but I feel I've tried to fix on my own.

Last edited by Marie CA; Mar 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Add Info
Marie CA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 05:49 AM   #44
ClarkClarkie
macrumors newbie

I posted many months ago and without doing anything.... The problem just disappeared. BUT, it just reappeared again last night. I think it's related to my home router because at the same time I noticed when my son tries to load videos onto the new iPad, there is about 15seconds of lag time that never used to be there before when all was running well.
I bought a super new router a few months ago, but was waiting for this to happen again to install it. I know what tomorrow will entail. I will let you all know if I figure anything out that works for me.
But as I said before - the last time the problem went away as mysteriously as it appeared. I did not download anything special or any new operating systems. It just stopped switching between 4g & wifi and finally remained on wifi for months until yesterday. It's frustrating but I refuse to turn in this phone to apple because I am not confident that a new one will not do the exact same thing that same day or in a week or month.
I'll keep in touch.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 01:15 PM   #45
Ann P
macrumors 68000

What OS is everyone on? I started having this problem ever since updating to 6.1.4. The wifi is never consistent, it frequently drops every 10 minutes. These days I have to reset my router every two days. Highly annoying!
Ann P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 07:16 PM   #46
Peter K.
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann P View Post
What OS is everyone on? I started having this problem ever since updating to 6.1.4. The wifi is never consistent, it frequently drops every 10 minutes. These days I have to reset my router every two days. Highly annoying!
I believe it is a somewhat known issue that the iPhone 5, and perhaps all of iOS 6, sometimes has trouble connecting to or maintaining a connection with any access point employing the WPA2-AES security standard.

Last edited by Peter K.; Jun 2, 2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: ...sometimes...
Peter K. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:09 PM   #47
ClarkClarkie
macrumors newbie

I've posted twice before about this issue. The first time I had the problem, which was right after buying my iPhone 5, the issue disappeared within a week or two. The second time the issue started, it lasted a day. No other problems with it since & my phone is working great (but more buggy than my iPhone 4).

We recently upgraded to a better router and the problem has stayed away. I never exchanged/replaced my phone nor went to a Genius. I also never deleted and went back to a previous OS. I'd still love to know what caused this weird issue.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:38 PM   #48
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkClarkie View Post
I've posted twice before about this issue. The first time I had the problem, which was right after buying my iPhone 5, the issue disappeared within a week or two. The second time the issue started, it lasted a day. No other problems with it since & my phone is working great (but more buggy than my iPhone 4).

We recently upgraded to a better router and the problem has stayed away. I never exchanged/replaced my phone nor went to a Genius. I also never deleted and went back to a previous OS. I'd still love to know what caused this weird issue.
What security setting do you have on your new router that does not give problems with wifi on the IPhone 5.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:20 AM   #49
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

So does this affect all iphone 5s?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:20 AM   #50
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
So does this affect all iphone 5s?
No. It absolutely does not. Mine was pre-ordered at midnite as soon as iPhone 5 was offered, delivered on the initial shipping day and has been rock solid.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone