Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:12 PM   #26
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68030

Trust me people there is a very faint grid on the screen and that is the touch matrix. It's there on all touch devices.
itsmemuffins is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:15 PM   #27
THE BG 86
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsguy27 View Post
Sounds like a good way to describe it would be to say it looks like a PenTile screen.
So you are seeing the same thing?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmemuffins View Post
Trust me people there is a very faint grid on the screen and that is the touch matrix. It's there on all touch devices.
I have iphone 4 and iPad 3 and I never noticed this though. I know this screen is a new display compared to those but just wasn't sure if other ppl were seeing it so just checking
THE BG 86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:17 PM   #28
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BG 86 View Post

----------

I have iphone 4 and iPad 3 and I never noticed this though.
It's there and it's very faint. Under the right light you can see it.
itsmemuffins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:10 PM   #29
Jessay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BG 86 View Post

----------

I have iphone 4 and iPad 3 and I never noticed this though. I know this screen is a new display compared to those but just wasn't sure if other ppl were seeing it so just checking
Just went to the apple store and had it checked out. It's normal and new for the iPhone. The previous iPhones did not have the grainy dots. After looking at the displays again, they in fact did have the grainy dots. The geniuses also assured there was nothing wrong with the phone, but of course said I could do an exchange once there is another shipment of phones. My verdict is that the 4/4s does have a better display than the 5.
Jessay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:12 PM   #30
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502a

Same as most here. No issues whatsoever with the 5. Display looks a little better in fact in terms of color and sharpness
AppleFan91 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:47 PM   #31
THE BG 86
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessay View Post
Just went to the apple store and had it checked out. It's normal and new for the iPhone. The previous iPhones did not have the grainy dots. After looking at the displays again, they in fact did have the grainy dots. The geniuses also assured there was nothing wrong with the phone, but of course said I could do an exchange once there is another shipment of phones. My verdict is that the 4/4s does have a better display than the 5.
Cool, thanks for checking it out
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:55 PM   #32
Iphone5preorder
macrumors 6502a

Take a pic of It with a camera so we can see
Iphone5preorder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:25 PM   #33
Jessay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphone5preorder View Post
Take a pic of It with a camera so we can see
I would, but it's hardly noticeable.

----------

I also will note that I can see a little light coming from the bezel under the hold button. Not sure if that's normal either.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:36 PM   #34
irishgreenapple
macrumors newbie

Do you have the brightness turned down? I was comparing my mother's iP4s to my iP5 and it seemed like her screen was so much clearer than mine. But then I realized that she has the brightness turned way up and I keep mine turned down to extend battery life. Once I changed my brightness to match hers, the two screens looked the same. The screen just looks way crisper with the brightness turned all the way up.
irishgreenapple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:07 PM   #35
Jessay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgreenapple View Post
Do you have the brightness turned down? I was comparing my mother's iP4s to my iP5 and it seemed like her screen was so much clearer than mine. But then I realized that she has the brightness turned way up and I keep mine turned down to extend battery life. Once I changed my brightness to match hers, the two screens looked the same. The screen just looks way crisper with the brightness turned all the way up.
I think the "dots" are less noticeable when the brightness is turned down, but I will admit the screen does look vibrant when the brightness is turned up.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:54 PM   #36
radiologyman
macrumors regular

My IP5 screen is simply gorgeous and big upgrade from washed out yellow 4s screen. It also trumps Iphone 4 given vivid colors and improved contrast. I was considering S3 just to get better screen but no more.
radiologyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:15 PM   #37
ijfry
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiologyman View Post
My IP5 screen is simply gorgeous and big upgrade from washed out yellow 4s screen. It also trumps Iphone 4 given vivid colors and improved contrast. I was considering S3 just to get better screen but no more.
Weird. My 4S display is blue-ish white while the 5 looks more yellow-white.
ijfry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:19 PM   #38
iAco
Banned

I have tiny parallel lines I can see going diagonally. But I would say the quality is much better than the 4S. But I do notice the tiny lines you speak of.
iAco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:27 PM   #39
akdj
macrumors 65816

The screen on the iPhone 5 is most definitively improved. Now measuring 99% of the sRGB color gamut. Significantly better color saturation than the 4/4s. Not that those were 'bad' displays by any stretch. To date, IMO...they're still (second) best---only to the '5'.

If you're noticing washed out colors or graniness, take it back for an exchange. It's not right. The new screens are very, VERY nice panels.

J
akdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:29 PM   #40
LouieSamman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdj View Post
The screen on the iPhone 5 is most definitively improved. Now measuring 99% of the sRGB color gamut. Significantly better color saturation than the 4/4s. Not that those were 'bad' displays by any stretch. To date, IMO...they're still (second) best---only to the '5'.

If you're noticing washed out colors or graniness, take it back for an exchange. It's not right. The new screens are very, VERY nice panels.

J
Exactly. I really notice the color saturation from the green background behind the text in the messages stock app. Looks amazing and really pops.
LouieSamman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:52 AM   #41
Jessay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdj View Post

J
As I said earlier, with comparing my phone to the displays, they all looked the same. If these "dots" are the touch matrix, I will admit that while texting, I noticed the keyboard to be much more accurate. So maybe the touch matrix for the 5 has been resigned? The genius is also going to reserve an iPhone for me in case I want to do an exchange. I'm not sure if it's worth it since all of the phones seem to have the "dots."

Also, the colors are great. I just noticed the touch matrix. The geniuses could even see what I was seeing, and they even took it to the back.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
I have tiny parallel lines I can see going diagonally. But I would say the quality is much better than the 4S. But I do notice the tiny lines you speak of.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:07 AM   #42
ixodes
macrumors 601

Side by side with my 4S, my 5 isn't as well balanced. The colors are rather artificial looking. But that may just be this phone.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:40 AM   #43
deyjavoo
macrumors member

The iPhone 4 and 4s looked washed out to me now, I definitely prefer the new color arrangement on the 5, if you don't see an improvement there might be something wrong with your display.
deyjavoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:50 AM   #44
Jessay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyjavoo View Post
The iPhone 4 and 4s looked washed out to me now, I definitely prefer the new color arrangement on the 5, if you don't see an improvement there might be something wrong with your display.
I never complained about the color. It's the touch matrix/"dots" that I noticed.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:05 AM   #45
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizbomb View Post
The screens are just warm for better color representation. Downside: whites look a little worse
This. My 5 is more vibrant compared to my 4S but white are slightly better on the 4S.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:11 AM   #46
deyjavoo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
This. My 5 is more vibrant compared to my 4S but white are slightly better on the 4S.
Agree
deyjavoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:13 AM   #47
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

My display is a lot nicer then my 4S. Colors are more vibrant and general clarity is much better.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:16 AM   #48
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

I notice no lines nor dots. I have 20/15 vision.

I do know of the touch matrix that is being discussed. I can faintly see it on my 4s when it's off and I look at it in sunlight... but I see NOTHING on my 5. In fact, I am very impressed at how black the screen is on my 5 when not in use. You can't even really tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins.

Comparing to the 4s, the 5 screen blows it away. And I thought the 4s was amazing...
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:58 PM   #49
Jessay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
I notice no lines nor dots. I have 20/15 vision.

I do know of the touch matrix that is being discussed. I can faintly see it on my 4s when it's off and I look at it in sunlight... but I see NOTHING on my 5. In fact, I am very impressed at how black the screen is on my 5 when not in use. You can't even really tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins.

Comparing to the 4s, the 5 screen blows it away. And I thought the 4s was amazing...
Maybe you cannot see it. Im not questioning your vision, but after having several geniuses look at the phone, not one noticed it.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:44 PM   #50
THE BG 86
macrumors member

I went to the apple store myself today and checked the phones on display and also noticed it on them so not stressing it much..

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone