Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:00 PM   #51
mateo124
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Anyone else have a very slight light bleed on the top right of the screen, like with the blue status bar? I didn't notice it until I looked at my phone from a distance when the setting app was open. The color saturation is indeed much better but I am curious to know if this is a problem that only I have. I attached a photo with it to show what I mean, but it is very faint and hard to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120925_174808.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	363136  
mateo124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:28 PM   #52
wallock
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Message deleted

Last edited by wallock; Jul 11, 2013 at 01:20 PM.
wallock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:21 PM   #53
bigcstyle4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessay View Post
Surprisingly, my iPhone 4s has a better screen display than my 5. Is anyone else noticing this? It's almost like I can see tiny vertical lines. The apple genius didn't see it (of course). The display iPhones didn't have this problem, but my phone and the genius' phone did. It's just frustrating, that's all.
I also had the vertical scan lines and had it swapped out. It's hard to see unless you move your eyes around the screen (playing a game, watching a video).

Use the attached test image and set it as your home screen. It's just alternating black/white lines of 1 pixel width. It will make the "shadowy" area near the dock flicker like crazy. You can show this to the Genius. It's very obvious. While I was waiting for my appointment I loaded it on a display phone for comparison (which looked perfect), but she said she didn't even need to look, it's that bad.

Don't accept this as being normal. It's definitely a hardware issue.

By the way, the Genius visually inspected the condition of the white box phone before activating it, and let me as well. She said a lot of people had been doing exchanges due to out-of-box damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scanlines.png
Views:	281460
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	364886  
bigcstyle4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:39 AM   #54
panopticblue
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I made a thread about what I think is the same thing you are seeing. It seems like some kind of interlacing or "combing."

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...9#post15911739
panopticblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:03 AM   #55
Jessay
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by panopticblue View Post
I made a thread about what I think is the same thing you are seeing. It seems like some kind of interlacing or "combing."

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...9#post15911739
This is exactly what I see. I believe it's the redesigned touch matrix. After looking at the displays and exchanging my iPhone, they all have the interlacing lines.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcstyle4 View Post
I also had the vertical scan lines and had it swapped out. It's hard to see unless you move your eyes around the screen (playing a game, watching a video).

Use the attached test image and set it as your home screen. It's just alternating black/white lines of 1 pixel width. It will make the "shadowy" area near the dock flicker like crazy. You can show this to the Genius. It's very obvious. While I was waiting for my appointment I loaded it on a display phone for comparison (which looked perfect), but she said she didn't even need to look, it's that bad.

Don't accept this as being normal. It's definitely a hardware issue.

By the way, the Genius visually inspected the condition of the white box phone before activating it, and let me as well. She said a lot of people had been doing exchanges due to out-of-box damage.
You lost me...
__________________
Late 2010 MacBook Pro 15" | iPhone 3GS 16GB (sold) | iPhone 4 32 GB (for sale) | iPhone 4S 32GB | iPad 2 32GB WiFi | 2007 iPod Classic
Jessay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:38 AM   #56
panopticblue
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Jessay, all the display units had this issue? The only i5 I've seen is my own, so it may be common. But the screen on my 4 and my iPad 3 are rock solid. I find it hard to believe the screen would be downgraded because IMO the interlacing makes it an inferior display to not only the 4s, but the 4 as well.
panopticblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:46 AM   #57
Yunosuke
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Foster City, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo124 View Post
Anyone else have a very slight light bleed on the top right of the screen, like with the blue status bar? I didn't notice it until I looked at my phone from a distance when the setting app was open. The color saturation is indeed much better but I am curious to know if this is a problem that only I have. I attached a photo with it to show what I mean, but it is very faint and hard to see.
Agggghhhh! Got replacement today because of light leakage from the edge of the device (not the bleed issue, the top right corner of my phone literally "lights up" lolo) also with a dead pixel.

Went back home and found a dust under the glass. AWESOME.
It'll go back tomorrow.

This is so annoying. I just wanted to rant. Nothing to do with screen quality sorry.

I think the color quality and accuracy is much better than at least my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Probably not the same level of a perfect iPad 3 display but it's damn good overall. Of course if it doesn't have any stupid issues.
Yunosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:48 PM   #58
miscend
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLugh View Post
I hope you mean some photos.
yes
miscend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:50 PM   #59
bigcstyle4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessay View Post
You lost me...
Save that image as your home screen wallpaper. It will make the screen flicker if you have the "vertical lines" problem.
bigcstyle4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:06 PM   #60
kilcher
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubamajuba View Post
Wait about a month and a half. If you can live with it, keep it. If not, try to get an exchange. I was able to put up with the lines after a while, even though they irritated the crap out of me at first.

Are they persistent, or are they only noticeable after the screen turns on?
Yes, wait until you're out of your 30 day return period.

People, it's an expensive device and you're going to live with it for 1-2 years. If it's not PERFECT out of the box, return it!
kilcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:11 PM   #61
jlake02
macrumors 68020
 
jlake02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: L.A.
My screen is amazing. By far the best screen I've ever seen on a phone. Very impressed and pleased.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus; iPhone 6; iPhone 4S; iPad 2,3,Air, Air 2; iPod Touch 4 x2, AppleTV x2
GETSOME 1000 GETSOME Xtreme BatteryAde
jlake02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:44 PM   #62
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
Yes, wait until you're out of your 30 day return period.

People, it's an expensive device and you're going to live with it for 1-2 years. If it's not PERFECT out of the box, return it!
I understand what you're saying, but I'm assuming the person still wants the iPhone 5 and doesn't mind exchanging until they do get a perfect one.

If you return the iPhone 5 though, what other device would you get? No matter what electronic device you buy, there is always a chance of a cosmetic defect. Apple is far more willing to exchange (and exchange again, if necessary) cosmetically defective devices than other manufacturers.
Tubamajuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:19 PM   #63
brock2621
macrumors 6502a
 
brock2621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessay View Post
Surprisingly, my iPhone 4s has a better screen display than my 5. Is anyone else noticing this? It's almost like I can see tiny vertical lines. The apple genius didn't see it (of course). The display iPhones didn't have this problem, but my phone and the genius' phone did. It's just frustrating, that's all.
Whhaaa???

Dude, my iPhone 5 screen puts my 4S to SHAAAME. Pictures and colors are insanely bright and clear on it. My wife grabs my phone to look at pictures of our son even tho she has the same shared Photostream on her 4S.

It's a night and day difference...
__________________
2012 27" iMac www.OCULUSSTUDIOS.com
www.Twitter.com/OculusStudiosKY
brock2621 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:23 PM   #64
bigcstyle4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessay View Post
This is exactly what I see. I believe it's the redesigned touch matrix. After looking at the displays and exchanging my iPhone, they all have the interlacing lines.
No they don't. My replacement doesn't, and the colors, contrast, etc are all much better, not to mention the lack of scan lines.
bigcstyle4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:17 PM   #65
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Dang mine does this as well. Sort of noticed it right away but thought it would have been common on most iPhone 5's.

It's completely perfect otherwise.

Dunno that I want to play the swap game left and right though.

Also waiting on an unlock code from unlock_fusion on eBay.

Worth the hassle of swapping and getting another?

My first phone (black 32) i returned because of a hissing and buzzing earpiece and bad camera quality.

Battery seemed to go quicker than this one as well.

Returned, waited for a white 32 and grabbed it up.

Last edited by thadoggfather; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:55 PM   #66
kre62
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I've had 3 iPhone 5 units now

The first one had a perfect screen, but had other defects. There was no scan line issue

The second had a disgusting nicotine-yellow screen

My third one has a decent screen (not as good as first), but does this scan line thing. I noticed it as graininess.

I can confirm that the scan lines are a hardware problem that does not exist in all phones. There ARE good phones out there people and we all deserve to have them. Not to put up with scan lines, or yellow tint.


I'm waiting a few weeks for the new Sharp displays. Maybe those will actually be good.
kre62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:58 PM   #67
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
I've had 3 iPhone 5 units now

The first one had a perfect screen, but had other defects. There was no scan line issue

The second had a disgusting nicotine-yellow screen

My third one has a decent screen (not as good as first), but does this scan line thing. I noticed it as graininess.

I can confirm that the scan lines are a hardware problem that does not exist in all phones. There ARE good phones out there people and we all deserve to have them. Not to put up with scan lines, or yellow tint.


I'm waiting a few weeks for the new Sharp displays. Maybe those will actually be good.
I wonder what I should do consider I'm getting an unlock code for the phone that has "scan lines." Maybe just eat the $9 unlock fee and return this and re-order another sometime?

Or wait until Genius Bar does screen swaps only? Order an advance replacement through AppleCare and do the screen swap myself (after ordering an iPhone repair kit somewhere with suction cup, prying tool, and pentalobe -- my pentalobe is another state).

my first was the same - good screen but other issues
this one has no issues but scan line screen.

would hate to have one with scan lines and other issues.

Argh.

Last edited by thadoggfather; Oct 1, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:08 AM   #68
kre62
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
I wonder what I should do consider I'm getting an unlock code for the phone that has "scan lines." Maybe just eat the $9 unlock fee and return this and re-order another sometime?

Or wait until Genius Bar does screen swaps only? Order an advance replacement through AppleCare and do the screen swap myself (after ordering an iPhone repair kit somewhere with suction cup, prying tool, and pentalobe -- my pentalobe is another state).

my first was the same - good screen but other issues
this one has no issues but scan line screen.

would hate to have one with scan lines and other issues.

Argh.
You shouldnt have to weigh your options like this. You are buting a premium phone and should not accept mediocrity.

I'd wait a few weeks and try a phone from the next batch. iPhones have 30 days vs usual 14 for other apple products.
kre62 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:12 AM   #69
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
So I guess eat that 9 dollar unlock fee I requested on this phone?
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:44 AM   #70
bigcstyle4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Yes if it bothers you that much. Save that test image as your wallpaper and do an iCloud backup. When you have the phone replaced, wait for the restore to get you to the home screen (5-10 minutes). Then you can verify the new screen is good before leaving the store.
bigcstyle4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:46 AM   #71
Adutrumque
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
My screen is amazing. Plain and simple.


But I think it offers the exact same quality the 4S had. Nothing different.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:26 AM   #72
panopticblue
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
I've had 3 iPhone 5 units now

The first one had a perfect screen, but had other defects. There was no scan line issue

The second had a disgusting nicotine-yellow screen

My third one has a decent screen (not as good as first), but does this scan line thing. I noticed it as graininess.

I can confirm that the scan lines are a hardware problem that does not exist in all phones. There ARE good phones out there people and we all deserve to have them. Not to put up with scan lines, or yellow tint.


I'm waiting a few weeks for the new Sharp displays. Maybe those will actually be good.
So you've seen some with and without the scan lines or interlacing? Dangit now I'll have to go to the apple store and see. What really sucks is that my 32gb black is literally perfect in every other way and I feel like I'm going to be just rolling the dice.
panopticblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:38 AM   #73
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Me too, everything else works great on mine
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:50 AM   #74
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rockland/Manhattan/Bay Area
To those that got theirs replaced... are the replacements brand new? I doubt they have refurbished units this early in the game
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:48 AM   #75
Jessay
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
To those wondering, I do not have scan lines. I have interlacing, which I have seen on all the other 5's I have seen (including displays). I exchanged the phone because it had other defects and software issues. I had to return the phone at AT&T and buy another 5 at the apple store. The phone has the interlacing but is absolutely perfect. Not many people are able to see the interlacing, which leads me to believe that the touch matrix was redesigned.
Jessay is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5S Screen Quality frostbit3 iPhone 10 Jan 21, 2014 05:49 PM
iPhone 5S Screen Quality (Serial DN vs F2) mknlb50 iPhone 60 Nov 26, 2013 12:45 AM
iPhone 4S poor screen quality viperGTS iPhone 3 May 19, 2013 10:25 AM
iPhone 5 screen image quality Delorean2006 iPhone 5 Nov 3, 2012 07:28 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC