Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ronin64

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
Hi,
I thinking of picking up an iPad or the rumoured iPad mini and I will mostly be using it for browsing the internet. But I have really slow internet and normally when I want to watch a video on my Mac I will let the video load in another tab. Then when its fully loaded I will watch it.
So can the iPad load the entire video or does the iPads browser only load the video while your watch it, like a streaming video player or UStream?

Thanks in advance.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi,
I thinking of picking up an iPad or the rumoured iPad mini and I will mostly be using it for browsing the internet. But I have really slow internet and normally when I want to watch a video on my Mac I will let the video load in another tab. Then when its fully loaded I will watch it.
So can the iPad load the entire video or does the iPads browser only load the video while your watch it, like a streaming video player or UStream?

Thanks in advance.

It'll download videos in an inactive tab (just tested to be absolutely sure.)

However, even the iPad 3 is affected by the memory shortage question that it may also kill background tabs entirely. That is, it's always better to make sure nothing else runs when you start a lengthy caching section.

Alternitevly, if you can and the video file is downloadable, use a multimedia player with a sprcific downloader module - preferably one with resume support. There are many of them; let me know if you'd like to see a list of them. (I've also tested them in this regard.)

Ronin64

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
It'll download videos in an inactive tab (just tested to be absolutely sure.)

However, even the iPad 3 is affected by the memory shortage question that it may also kill background tabs entirely. That is, it's always better to make sure nothing else runs when you start a lengthy caching section.

Alternitevly, if you can and the video file is downloadable, use a multimedia player with a sprcific downloader module - preferably one with resume support. There are many of them; let me know if you'd like to see a list of them. (I've also tested them in this regard.)
Ok, it will cache the video, good to know.
And about the video downloading. Is that like those FireFox extensions that allow you to rip Youtube/Flash videos?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.