Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Idarrin96
macrumors member

Smile Why I went for iPhone 5 instead of gs3

Im so ready to get my ip5 jailbroken. I have never jailbroken my iphone in the past and i have had them all 2g 3g 3gs etc I have never jail broke for the simple fact of voiding my warranty,slower speeds, shorter battery etc but now since I've owned all of the past iPhones I feel bored with the os and its really stale. And with that being said I had to choice to chose from going with the gs3 or jailbreak so I was dead set on going with the android until I saw a cydia tweak called dashboard x. The widgets made me feel like I had the best of both world so I decided to stick with iOS. I'm just writing this article to get others opinion and insight thanks and how do you like the widgets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	361481  
Idarrin96 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Meanee
macrumors 6502a

So you went with iPhone because you can get faux-widgets on jailbroken iPhone? Great thinking there. What if you want different widgets?

There are tons of great reasons to go with iPhone. Same thing as there are tons of great reasons to go with GS3. But if you were really missing widgets that much, maybe you went with the wrong device.
Meanee is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Voiding warranty from jailbreak? I never heard of that

All you do is restore & goes back to factory settings
Che Castro is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Idarrin96
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanee View Post
So you went with iPhone because you can get faux-widgets on jailbroken iPhone? Great thinking there. What if you want different widgets?

There are tons of great reasons to go with iPhone. Same thing as there are tons of great reasons to go with GS3. But if you were really missing widgets that much, maybe you went with the wrong device.
The thing is I love iOS dearly I was just tired of looking at the same icons year after year so anything that made it look different would have made me happy if it only had 2 widgets on the home screen like weather widget and stock widget that are in the notification center I would have stayed dashboard x was just the icing on the cake
Idarrin96 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:14 PM   #5
Surrylic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Voiding warranty from jailbreak? I never heard of that

All you do is restore & goes back to factory settings
What? Yes you can always go back to factory but while it's jailbroken the warranty is void according to apple's rules and regulations.
Surrylic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrylic View Post
What? Yes you can always go back to factory but while it's jailbroken the warranty is void according to apple's rules and regulations.
Yea but how would they find out?
Che Castro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Looon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Yea but how would they find out?
I went to the genius bar with mine once and the guy asked why I was sweating so bad and I just blurted out that I had jailbroken my iPhone. It felt good to get off my chest but they wouldn't repair it for me.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looon View Post
I went to the genius bar with mine once and the guy asked why I was sweating so bad and I just blurted out that I had jailbroken my iPhone. It felt good to get off my chest but they wouldn't repair it for me.
Just restore before going?
Che Castro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:24 PM   #9
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

Jail breaking does not cause battery drain. Don't spread misinformation.
TM WAZZA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:27 PM   #10
iphonefan74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarrin96 View Post
Im so ready to get my ip5 jailbroken. I have never jailbroken my iphone in the past and i have had them all 2g 3g 3gs etc I have never jail broke for the simple fact of voiding my warranty,slower speeds, shorter battery etc but now since I've owned all of the past iPhones I feel bored with the os and its really stale. And with that being said I had to choice to chose from going with the gs3 or jailbreak so I was dead set on going with the android until I saw a cydia tweak called dashboard x. The widgets made me feel like I had the best of both world so I decided to stick with iOS. I'm just writing this article to get others opinion and insight thanks and how do you like the widgets.
So you want your iPhone to do what the SIII does natively and you have to jailbreak it to do it? I can put a Cobra badge on a V6 Mustang, still won't make it a Cobra
iphonefan74 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Idarrin96
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonefan74 View Post
So you want your iPhone to do what the SIII does natively and you have to jailbreak it to do it? I can put a Cobra badge on a V6 Mustang, still won't make it a Cobra
Not necessarily I just like the idea of widgets and the gs3 is one of thousand of devices that have it other than that I chose iOS over android
Idarrin96 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looon View Post
Wow are you serious. All you have to do is restore it before going, or be normal about it and half the geniuses won't even care that it's jailbroken.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:06 AM   #13
i-John
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM WAZZA View Post
Jail breaking does not cause battery drain. Don't spread misinformation.
There are plenty of badly coded apps on Cydia that'll happily drain your battery real quick.
i-John is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:08 AM   #14
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Im already missing bitesms and sbsettings
Looking forward to a JB for my i5.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:19 AM   #15
MacChinoNyc
macrumors 6502

So anyone going to answer the op's question. What are widgets like on ios after you jb your ip
MacChinoNyc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:20 AM   #16
clborden
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonefan74 View Post
I get your point, but the v6 & Cobra...is that the best comparison? Maybe a standard GT w/ Cobra badges? At least it's a little closer in comparison, no? Lol.
clborden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:42 AM   #17
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-John View Post
There are plenty of badly coded apps on Cydia that'll happily drain your battery real quick.
It is the tweak / app that is the rogue. Not the jailbreak itself.
TM WAZZA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:15 AM   #18
nyfliiboy
macrumors regular

You'll be waiting quite a while for that jailbreak
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:04 AM   #19
RyanTheGeneral
macrumors regular

I almost went for the gs3 myself!! Moment of weakness call it. I'm glad I made the right choice- btw I had dreamboard was more of a novelty for me. I stuck with iOS.

Let us know how it goes when you finally can get it up and running
RyanTheGeneral is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:19 AM   #20
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM WAZZA View Post
It is the tweak / app that is the rogue. Not the jailbreak itself.
Winterboard and MobileSubstrate are known to affect battery life and performance because of the extent to which they modify the OS. It just so happens that pretty much all tweaking apps, specifically ones that add widgets or extra functionality in the OS, use one or both of these.

Jailbreaking does reduce battery life but not by much. Just be sensible. A few mods here and there might take off half an hour of usage at the most. More intense themes with Winterboard can take an hour off plus. That's just the price you have to pay.

Also, don't be an idiot when going to Apple stores to repair your device. Here's the thing:

Even if you break your screen, you still can plug it in and do a restore via iTunes. If it's so damaged that it won't ever turn on, not even with DFU mode, then they sure as hell can't access it at the Apple Store either and will not be able to ever know the phone's contents. Saying, "oh I felt bad and told them" is so hilariously silly I don't even...
mKTank is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:10 AM   #21
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, having a clock, weather and stock display seems pretty boring to me. I use the phone and don't stare at the home page much.

But I get where you are coming from though. However I wouldn't jailbreak to get that. A small group of indie developers aren't going to support you much compared to Apple.
viewfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:12 AM   #22
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
Good choice. Galaxy S3 is a crappy phone with poor build quality and buggy software to boot.
Using a knockoff Sumsang Guluxy S III is not the same as using a Samsung Galaxy S III.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:01 AM   #23
Idarrin96
macrumors member

Can someone please tell me how do you feel about the widgets
Idarrin96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:47 AM   #24
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Can someone please tell me how do you feel about the widgets
Before I purchased my 4S last year I used a Nexus One for nearly 2 years. I used to use weather and world clock widgets the most (as I sometimes had to schedule calls with Asia). It's nice, but not having them isn't a deal breaker for me. The most useful feature was the turn-by-turn navigation, which iOS now has built in (Maps issues notwithstanding).

The dashboard was also nice, as it allowed enabling or disabling Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, and Cellular with a single tap. It wouldn't surprise me at some point to see these incorporated into iOS, although with the emphasis on design and utility patents in the industry, it might not occur until there is some sort of "truce" between Google and Apple.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:21 AM   #25
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The thing is I love iOS dearly I was just tired of looking at the same icons year after year so anything that made it look different would have made me happy if it only had 2 widgets on the home screen like weather widget and stock widget that are in the notification center I would have stayed dashboard x was just the icing on the cake
Are u a stock broker? Or do u have a lot of money tied up in the market? If not, why the heck would u care about having a stock ticker widget on the home screen??
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
galaxy s3, iphone, jailbreak, samsung