Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idarrin96

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Im so ready to get my ip5 jailbroken. I have never jailbroken my iphone in the past and i have had them all 2g 3g 3gs etc I have never jail broke for the simple fact of voiding my warranty,slower speeds, shorter battery etc but now since I've owned all of the past iPhones I feel bored with the os and its really stale. And with that being said I had to choice to chose from going with the gs3 or jailbreak so I was dead set on going with the android until I saw a cydia tweak called dashboard x. The widgets made me feel like I had the best of both world so I decided to stick with iOS. I'm just writing this article to get others opinion and insight thanks and how do you like the widgets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 625

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
So you went with iPhone because you can get faux-widgets on jailbroken iPhone? Great thinking there. What if you want different widgets?

There are tons of great reasons to go with iPhone. Same thing as there are tons of great reasons to go with GS3. But if you were really missing widgets that much, maybe you went with the wrong device.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Voiding warranty from jailbreak? I never heard of that

All you do is restore & goes back to factory settings

Idarrin96

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
So you went with iPhone because you can get faux-widgets on jailbroken iPhone? Great thinking there. What if you want different widgets?

There are tons of great reasons to go with iPhone. Same thing as there are tons of great reasons to go with GS3. But if you were really missing widgets that much, maybe you went with the wrong device.

The thing is I love iOS dearly I was just tired of looking at the same icons year after year so anything that made it look different would have made me happy if it only had 2 widgets on the home screen like weather widget and stock widget that are in the notification center I would have stayed dashboard x was just the icing on the cake

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Voiding warranty from jailbreak? I never heard of that

All you do is restore & goes back to factory settings

What? Yes you can always go back to factory but while it's jailbroken the warranty is void according to apple's rules and regulations.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Yea but how would they find out?

I went to the genius bar with mine once and the guy asked why I was sweating so bad and I just blurted out that I had jailbroken my iPhone. It felt good to get off my chest but they wouldn't repair it for me.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I went to the genius bar with mine once and the guy asked why I was sweating so bad and I just blurted out that I had jailbroken my iPhone. It felt good to get off my chest but they wouldn't repair it for me.

Just restore before going?

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Im so ready to get my ip5 jailbroken. I have never jailbroken my iphone in the past and i have had them all 2g 3g 3gs etc I have never jail broke for the simple fact of voiding my warranty,slower speeds, shorter battery etc but now since I've owned all of the past iPhones I feel bored with the os and its really stale. And with that being said I had to choice to chose from going with the gs3 or jailbreak so I was dead set on going with the android until I saw a cydia tweak called dashboard x. The widgets made me feel like I had the best of both world so I decided to stick with iOS. I'm just writing this article to get others opinion and insight thanks and how do you like the widgets.

So you want your iPhone to do what the SIII does natively and you have to jailbreak it to do it? I can put a Cobra badge on a V6 Mustang, still won't make it a Cobra :)

Idarrin96

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
So you want your iPhone to do what the SIII does natively and you have to jailbreak it to do it? I can put a Cobra badge on a V6 Mustang, still won't make it a Cobra :)

Not necessarily I just like the idea of widgets and the gs3 is one of thousand of devices that have it other than that I chose iOS over android

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas

Wow are you serious. All you have to do is restore it before going, or be normal about it and half the geniuses won't even care that it's jailbroken.

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT

I get your point, but the v6 & Cobra...is that the best comparison? Maybe a standard GT w/ Cobra badges? At least it's a little closer in comparison, no? Lol.

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I almost went for the gs3 myself!! Moment of weakness call it. I'm glad I made the right choice- btw I had dreamboard was more of a novelty for me. I stuck with iOS.

Let us know how it goes when you finally can get it up and running

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
It is the tweak / app that is the rogue. Not the jailbreak itself. :cool:
Winterboard and MobileSubstrate are known to affect battery life and performance because of the extent to which they modify the OS. It just so happens that pretty much all tweaking apps, specifically ones that add widgets or extra functionality in the OS, use one or both of these.

Jailbreaking does reduce battery life but not by much. Just be sensible. A few mods here and there might take off half an hour of usage at the most. More intense themes with Winterboard can take an hour off plus. That's just the price you have to pay.

Also, don't be an idiot when going to Apple stores to repair your device. Here's the thing:

Even if you break your screen, you still can plug it in and do a restore via iTunes. If it's so damaged that it won't ever turn on, not even with DFU mode, then they sure as hell can't access it at the Apple Store either and will not be able to ever know the phone's contents. Saying, "oh I felt bad and told them" is so hilariously silly I don't even...

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Hmmm, having a clock, weather and stock display seems pretty boring to me. I use the phone and don't stare at the home page much.

But I get where you are coming from though. However I wouldn't jailbreak to get that. A small group of indie developers aren't going to support you much compared to Apple.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Can someone please tell me how do you feel about the widgets

Before I purchased my 4S last year I used a Nexus One for nearly 2 years. I used to use weather and world clock widgets the most (as I sometimes had to schedule calls with Asia). It's nice, but not having them isn't a deal breaker for me. The most useful feature was the turn-by-turn navigation, which iOS now has built in (Maps issues notwithstanding).

The dashboard was also nice, as it allowed enabling or disabling Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, and Cellular with a single tap. It wouldn't surprise me at some point to see these incorporated into iOS, although with the emphasis on design and utility patents in the industry, it might not occur until there is some sort of "truce" between Google and Apple.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The thing is I love iOS dearly I was just tired of looking at the same icons year after year so anything that made it look different would have made me happy if it only had 2 widgets on the home screen like weather widget and stock widget that are in the notification center I would have stayed dashboard x was just the icing on the cake

Are u a stock broker? Or do u have a lot of money tied up in the market? If not, why the heck would u care about having a stock ticker widget on the home screen??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.