Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I just got my shipping notification email (yay). Since I'm flying out of town the day of anticipated delivery, can I have it held at the local UPS facility instead?

I'm hoping that perhaps I can pick it up the evening before delivery date since it doesn't have to wait for the truck to go out the next day. Then I'll be able to take it with me on my trip.

Anyone do this? Is it easy?

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Easy enough for me, I just called my local shipping facility and asked. They held it no problem and called at 7:50am to let me know it had shown up. The ups 1-800 and website were no help though.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
On normal packages I've tried to see if they will hold at ups location and they told me I can't do that. Reason why I want to pickup is because the driver always comes at 7.15pm.

SDRacerR1

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
I just got my shipping notification email (yay). Since I'm flying out of town the day of anticipated delivery, can I have it held at the local UPS facility instead?

I'm hoping that perhaps I can pick it up the evening before delivery date since it doesn't have to wait for the truck to go out the next day. Then I'll be able to take it with me on my trip.

This is the lengthy process you have to do with UPS because they wont do it over the phone.

1. Go to UPS.COM
2. Sign up for a free "UPS" account
3. Once you completed that, sign up for their "My Choice" service...free
4. Once you sign up for "My Choice" you have wait around 90 minutes. Then log back into UPS, and track your package. Under "Change Delivery" you should see "Will Call"
5. Have it held at local UPS facility.

I have to wait till Monday at 8am to get mine, since I was out of town.

*Make sure your "My Choice" address matches where the iphone is going.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
These responses are great advice, thanks! I'm wondering though, if I ask for it to be held will-call, can I get it the night before it is supposed to go out on the truck for delivery or do I have to wait until after the truck would have gone out for delivery? I won't be available from 8am forward on Friday morning, which is when it is slated for delivery, so I either want to will-call it Thursday night or just let it go to regular delivery and my neighbor will grab it off the porch and hang onto it until I get home.

Thanks!!

djrobx

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Apple has instructed them not to release it before 8/19. If you've put a will call on it, it won't go onto the truck, so you should be able to get it at the UPS facility on 8/19. One word of warning, if you use My Choice and set will call, you can't cancel and have them ship to you on 8/19.

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I just did it online to pick up at 7:30AM Friday. It wouldn't let me select Thursday.

Usually packages get in the night before and don't get taken off the sorting truck until the evening when the customer center is closed.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

There is no way tha UPS would release the phone until the delivery date. Can you imagine what the UPS terminals will look like Thursday night? There would be hundreds of people there trying to get heir phone, maybe thousands!

You can have it held to pickup but not before delivery date:apple:

----------

You two do realize this thread is two years old right?

What does it matter as the same questions are asked each and every year!:p

trophynuts

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
if only there were more threads talking about the exact same thing with a very very similar title for people to look for.....:eek:

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I did an online chat with UPS and the agent set it up to be picked up no problem. I am also leaving for the weekend and UPS doesn't deliver to my house until 7pm normally, and I didn't want to delay my trip that long.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
You two do realize this thread is two years old right?

LOL!! I was wondering why I was getting Quote Notifications the other day from this thread. I was like, "I posted this years ago!" Oh well, kudos to the responders for doing a forum search and continuing a topical thread than starting a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.