Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danoftroy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
A friend of mine owns a MacBook Pro. Her problem is that from start up to opening and closing any application, there are excessive amounts of wait time as the Apple spinning wheel takes much longer than normal.

Without knowing specifics such as year of Macbook Pro, hard drive size, amount of space available, etc., what are the main reasons that could be causing the excessive spinning wheel?

Thanks,

Dan

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Check the drive using Disk Utility. Check the memory usage in Activity Monitor.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
if it doesn't happen to her before and recently she upgraded to mountain lion and started to to get all of that, then mountain lion could be the problem on her mac. several buddies of mine with early 2011 macs recently upgraded to mountain lion and get very frequent hangs and beach balls, applications would would hang while opening, closing, and during use. they didn't experience any of this issues when they were using lion, and i'm using still lion and i hardly ever get any hangs or beach balls. i didn't upgraded my macs to mountain lion with them. though i was going to, but i guess i'll hang out for a bit now.
perhaps mountain lion is buggy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.