Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:37 AM   #1
derajfast
macrumors 6502a

boot from external HD

i just installed tiger on an external harddrive and it worked well, but once i restarted, it booted from my internal hdd......is there a way i can easily switch between the 2 without having to restart or change the settings from which disk to boot from first? i mean i know something as simple as clicking which i want to boot from probably doesnt exist, but is there anything that can make it easier?
derajfast is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:46 AM   #2
aznsal612
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derajfast
i just installed tiger on an external harddrive and it worked well, but once i restarted, it booted from my internal hdd......is there a way i can easily switch between the 2 without having to restart or change the settings from which disk to boot from first? i mean i know something as simple as clicking which i want to boot from probably doesnt exist, but is there anything that can make it easier?
You have to hold specific key when you restart your computer.

last time I checked, I think it was the key "c". not sure.
aznsal612 is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:50 AM   #3
reberto
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsal612
You have to hold specific key when you restart your computer.

last time I checked, I think it was the key "c". not sure.
I think that is to boot off of a CD. Try going to System Prefs/Start-up disk. I should show up there.
reberto is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:57 AM   #4
derajfast
macrumors 6502a

so every time i want to boot from another drive i have to restart and hold down a key?
derajfast is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:01 AM   #5
faintember
macrumors 65816

Quote:
so every time i want to boot from another drive i have to restart and hold down a key?
I think so (that is if you want to boot from a secondary/external drive). I think you can do this by holding down "option" when booting. Holding down "c" boots from the cd, and you could do it that way. Put in your system cd, boot up holding "c", go to startup disk, and then select the external. There has to be an easier way than that, but i am unaware of it.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:03 AM   #6
derajfast
macrumors 6502a

hmm so theres no program that lets me toggle between them or anything?
derajfast is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:06 AM   #7
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:

Well, as reberto says, open up System Preferences and under Start Up Disk, you should be able to select your external drive to start from every time if that's what you want.

OSX looks for appropriate start up volumes on boot up anyway, so if you select the external but you have appropriate system files on your inbuilt hard drive and you unplug the external, it should still start up from the original internal drive however it may take a little longer as it goes searching for appropriate files.

Having said that, I've only had experience with the original 10.0 and not 10.4 and from what some people say around here, that feature may have been overwritten however I don't know why and I think that's unlikely.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:08 AM   #8
faintember
macrumors 65816

check this out
http://davespicks.com/writing/progra...keys.html#boot
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:10 AM   #9
faintember
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
Well, as reberto says, open up System Preferences and under Start Up Disk, you should be able to select your external drive to start from every time if that's what you want.

OSX looks for appropriate start up volumes on boot up anyway, so if you select the external but you have appropriate system files on your inbuilt hard drive and you unplug the external, it should still start up from the original internal drive however it may take a little longer as it goes searching for appropriate files.

Having said that, I've only had experience with the original 10.0 and not 10.4 and from what some people say around here, that feature may have been overwritten however I don't know why and I think that's unlikely.
Sry for the double post, but, lets say if the internal hd failed, then what command would you use to boot from the external? Would you boot holding cmd-opt-shift-delete?
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:14 AM   #10
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by faintember
Sry for the double post, but, lets say if the internal hd failed, then what command would you use to boot from the external? Would you boot holding cmd-opt-shift-delete?

I guess you would but sorry, I don't have an external nearby to try it out on.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 05:55 AM   #11
cygni
macrumors regular

Ok, I am trying to do the very same thing (boot from an external usb hd).
I have tried everything on this thread and nothing is working. I can't even use the backed up data that I cloned (using carbon copy) before erasing my small internal HD. So I am totally lost as to what to do next.

Does anyone have advice as to what I can do to force a boot to an external usb HD? I found an article and feedback stating it's simply impossible. I am truly open to any reasonable suggestions and would very much appreciate any help.

running os x 10.3.9 on g3 ibook (flavored), 288mb ram, all orig. hardware. with a new western digital external 160gb hard drive. thanks!
cygni is offline   0
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:43 AM   #12
timnosenzo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygni
Ok, I am trying to do the very same thing (boot from an external usb hd).
I have tried everything on this thread and nothing is working. I can't even use the backed up data that I cloned (using carbon copy) before erasing my small internal HD. So I am totally lost as to what to do next.

Does anyone have advice as to what I can do to force a boot to an external usb HD? I found an article and feedback stating it's simply impossible. I am truly open to any reasonable suggestions and would very much appreciate any help.

running os x 10.3.9 on g3 ibook (flavored), 288mb ram, all orig. hardware. with a new western digital external 160gb hard drive. thanks!
pretty sure you can't boot from a USB drive
timnosenzo is offline   0
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:51 AM   #13
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosen
pretty sure you can't boot from a USB drive
Why...? I used to boot my old Pismo from an external USB1.1 disk...
Old Aug 23, 2005, 07:50 AM   #14
Applespider
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
Why...? I used to boot my old Pismo from an external USB1.1 disk...
I didn't think you could boot from USB either but I suspect 'received wisdom' rather than fact is involved. Thearticle above seem to suggest that it's because the firewire ports become live through open firmware while the USB ones don't until later in the boot process.

Although it doesn't help you, cygni, the lesson for others is always to test booting from your new clone before you erase your current HD.

Apple seem to suggest that it might work but isn't expected to work
Link

Can you boot from your OS X restore/install disk and then access the data on your USB drive? It might not help with the booting issue but it might help.

If your drive isn't too big and you have a large iPod, you may be able to copy the structure on the USB drive over to a partition on the iPod and then boot from that if it's Firewire?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:43 AM   #15
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applespider
Link
He-he... I like the good old Pismo better and better...

Thanks for the link. Explains the inconsistency...

Hmm... maybe I should try this with my current iBook one of these days... I have that old USB1.1 disk laying around somewhere...

To the OP (to get back on topic ): Does the external USB drive show up if you hold down the option key during boot, as faintember suggested earlier, (should give you a slow blue screen with one button for each bootable volume and some arrows, like this)?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 01:44 PM   #16
cygni
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applespider
I didn't think you could boot from USB either but I suspect 'received wisdom' rather than fact is involved. Thearticle above seem to suggest that it's because the firewire ports become live through open firmware while the USB ones don't until later in the boot process.

Although it doesn't help you, cygni, the lesson for others is always to test booting from your new clone before you erase your current HD.

Link

Can you boot from your OS X restore/install disk and then access the data on your USB drive? It might not help with the booting issue but it might help.

If your drive isn't too big and you have a large iPod, you may be able to copy the structure on the USB drive over to a partition on the iPod and then boot from that if it's Firewire?
Yes, lesson learned. Sadly I do not have an ipod or firewire port, but I will try accessing the drive through my install disk and see what happens. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
To the OP (to get back on topic ): Does the external USB drive show up if you hold down the option key during boot, as faintember suggested earlier, (should give you a slow blue screen with one button for each bootable volume and some arrows, like this)?
for me the external doesn't show up, just the internal hard drive is displayed as an option. Maybe I could try installing classic and see if it gives more startup options. Thanks for the link!
cygni is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers