Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I have a buyer on my iPhone 4S (just got the new iP5) but we wants to able to use it on the T-Mobile network. I have seen people being able to unlock their phones via iTunes ... how can I do this for my buyer to make it easier for him to just put in his current sim card when it arrives to him and be off and running.

He was under the impression from some of earlier correspondence that this phone was unlocked already so I want to try and make it as easy for him as possible to unlock and use it on his T-Mobile service so he is happy with his new purchase.

Thanks so much for the info guys. :)

Last edited:

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Purchase an imei iphone unlock on ebay or have him do it after he buys it from you.
Its around $15-20 and the phone should be forever carrier unlocked after.

There are TONS of listing on eBay for these unlocks (i typed in "iPhone factory unlock service") .... any recommendations on a seller that is reputable for this type of service?

The guy who bought my phone seems seems like a great person and I want to make sure he is taken care of after his phone arrives.

Thanks so much for the info guys. :D

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There are TONS of listing on eBay for these unlocks (i typed in "iPhone factory unlock service") .... any recommendations on a seller that is reputable for this type of service?

The guy who bought my seems seems like a great person and I want to make sure he is taken care of after his phone arrives.

Thanks so much for the info guys. :D

I and many others have used unlock-fusion from ebay with no probs.
If your device is out of contract you can do it for free on that AT&T page the user above gave you. If not then ebay is a cheap and easy solution too.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I and many others have used unlock-fusion from ebay with no probs.
If your device is out of contract you can do it for free on that AT&T page the user above gave you. If not then ebay is a cheap and easy solution too.

Perfect! I sent an email to my buyer asking him which option he would like to do ... seems the AT&T option would take a lot longer then just the online eBay deal would but I will wait and see what option he would like to go with.

Thanks so much ... Glad to know he has a couple option to make this work for him. :D

----------

If you are on AT&T you can have them unlock your 4S for free. Follow the instructions here:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820#fbid=2krPs0ykmtR

Fill out the request form, wait a couple days, and off you go!

My request took about 3 days.

This phone is currently deactivated since I have received my iPhone 5 .... will me unlocking it for my buyer effect my new phone or service in anyway?

Just want to make sure I myself and covered if my buyer request me to do this process for him.

Thanks again for all great info guys. :)

ellardchua

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Perfect! I sent an email to my buyer asking him which option he would like to do ... seems the AT&T option would take a lot longer then just the online eBay deal would but I will wait and see what option he would like to go with.

Thanks so much ... Glad to know he has a couple option to make this work for him. :D

----------

This phone is currently deactivated since I have received my iPhone 5 .... will me unlocking it for my buyer effect my new phone or service in anyway?

Just want to make sure I myself and covered if my buyer request me to do this process for him.

Thanks again for all great info guys. :)

I can unlock it for you now. $20 via Paypal. It will be good once you wake up

r6rider

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Give AT&T a call in the "technical" department as I did and tell them that you want to unlock your old iPhone 4s. They will inform you that they don't unlock iPhones over the phone anymore, so tell them you tried the online request thing but can't wait that long (tell them why you cant wait). Then they will ask you for your IMEI never and after that they will tell you to plug in your iPhone to iTunes and follow the steps. Real easy and simple. Good luck!

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I will give this a try with AT&T and see if I can get this taken care of for this guy.

If for some reason I can not I noticed in a video on you tube that shows this exact process he said to buy the unlock via eBay and put IMEI number in the notes and when they reply your good to go.

But he did say when unlocking to make sure the T-Mobile sim was in the phone when doing this via iTunes .... If I am able to do this for my customer I will but unfortunately I do not have the T-Mobile sim card.

Can this still be done on my end before I ship to him without having his sim card in the phone? I don;t think he is able to do this himself so I would like to help if I can.

Thanks so much for the info.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
When doing this unlock that I purchase on eBay does there have to be the T-Mobile sim installed in the phone or can the unlock be done by me without any sim (or just my deactivated AT&T sim) in the same?

I saw online on a video the guy said after you purchase the unlock to plug in your phone to iTunes ... make sure the T-Mobile SIM is in the phone before proceeding to restore and have it unlocked.

Is this true ... I want to take care of this unlock for my buyer but wanted to find out this info and if I can have it done for him if for some reason AT&T cannot take care of it for me over the phone when I call tomm.

Once again thanks SO much for all the info guys.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
^^^ Anyone ^^^

Just want to get this taken care of for my buyer asap if possible. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.