Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Well, I admit it. I made a mistake. A few months ago I decided to jump ship and leave Apple for the Galaxy S3. I sold my iP4 and bought the S3 off contract. Loaded it up with video, music and customized my UI. I won't go into the "pluses and minus" review but suffice to say the S3 had a few nice features. Still, I never completely fell in love.

Jump ahead to the iPhone 5 release. I'm on business in San Francisco and there's a Verizon just a couple of blocks away. I decide to haul my ass out of bed and go line up (wasn't necessary to get up at 4am. I was the only one in line until about 6am).

I'll get to the point: Wow! I can't tell you how much I missed the iPhone! It felt so comfortable to use iOS again after Android for a few months. The S3 is going up for sale on Ebay once I get back home.

I admit it. I'm sorry I left. Thanks for taking me back Steve.

Oh, and it's a black 64GB with no scuffing, yellowing, rattling, leaking, or battery problems. It's perfect, thank you very much.:)

Last edited:

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
US
Well, I admit it. I made a mistake. A few months ago I decided to jump ship and leave Apple for the Galaxy S3. I sold my iP4 and bought the S3 off contract. Loaded it up with video, music and customized my UI. I won't go into the "plusses and minus" review but suffice to say the S3 had a few nice features. Still, I never completely fell in love.

Jump ahead to the iPhone 5 release. I'm on business in San Francisco and there's a Verizon just a couple of blocks away. I decide to haul my ass out of bed and go line up (wasn't necessary to get up at 4am. I was the only one in line until about 6am).

I'll get to the point: Wow! I can't tell you how much I missed the iPhone! It felt so comfortable to use iOS again after Android for a few months. The S3 is going up for sale on Ebay once I get back home.

Oh, and it's a black 64GB with no scuffing, yellowing, rattling, leaking, or battery problems. It's perfect, thank you very much.:)

Welcome back :D

I went from the Galaxy S2 to the 4S. I fell in love when i touched one and took a pic with it at the Apple store and knew I had to have it :eek:

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I tried out a Galaxy S III before preordering my iPhone 5. I've used a couple other Android phones as well. I don't begrudge anyone using one, but it just wasn't for me. It was big and pretty, but the UI still drives me bonkers.

It's like dating a really pretty girl for a few weeks only to discover down the road that she has a lot of unsavory baggage.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I tried out a Galaxy S III before preordering my iPhone 5. I've used a couple other Android phones as well. I don't begrudge anyone using one, but it just wasn't for me. It was big and pretty, but the UI still drives me bonkers.

It's like dating a really pretty girl for a few weeks only to discover down the road that she has a lot of unsavory baggage.

Same here. I'm not an Android/Galaxy basher by any means. It really was a great phone. Although I'm missing the big screen a bit, I can see now why Apple kept the width the same. Much easier to manage (for me at least).

The UI was nice but not as crisp and polished as iOS.

My analogy is that it was like swimming in a chilly pool and having fun for awhile but then getting back into a nice hot tub.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Welcome back. While the GS3 has some cool features, the size and hardware quality and UI is just too distracting. I tried to love the phone and keep playing with my sisters's because many carriers in Canada with an AWS network are offering it with very cheap plans (1/3 price of large carriers). My carrier isn't really giving me a good deal on the 5, but I would rather stick with my iPhone 4 than get a GS3 and a better plan.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Same story!

S3 is a nice phone, but the totality of everything, ie MBP, Ipad etc, brought me back. So happy that Apple took me back. It went to a committee!!

QUOTE=rotobadger;15831707]Well, I admit it. I made a mistake. A few months ago I decided to jump ship and leave Apple for the Galaxy S3. I sold my iP4 and bought the S3 off contract. Loaded it up with video, music and customized my UI. I won't go into the "pluses and minus" review but suffice to say the S3 had a few nice features. Still, I never completely fell in love.

Oh, and it's a black 64GB with no scuffing, yellowing, rattling, leaking, or battery problems. It's perfect, thank you very much.:)[/QUOTE]

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
OP, your story is very similar to mine. I had an iPhone 4 then in February swapped it for a Galaxy Note. I enjoyed my Note but after probably 5 months I really felt it just wasn't the same. Always had annoying little bugs no matter what ROM I used... So I came back to Apple and I'm so glad I did haha.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
OP, maybe if you have known that the (stock) S3 can do the following useful stuff which is NOT possible on Iphone (maybe even with jailbreak), then you would have think twice :p

- A File Explorer that combines phone and cloud storages (box, gdrive, db etc) using side-by-side views allowing easy movement of files betw. storages. Ability to use the "Open With..." to open file using any registered & installed apps.

- Easily share any files/contents via any registered share streams (BT, Wifi, cloud storages, social networks, usb etc). You can add new share streams easily (by installing apps). No need to wait for OS upgrade like Iphone.

- Ability to download/save any files from any sources (browser, apps etc) into the phone storage. Files in phone storage are accessible by any apps (i.e. no need to reload same copies for different apps)

-Ability to attach multiple files of any types to email (incl. re-edit re-attach). Ability to edit/view any attachments as long as there is a installed app that handles the file type.

- Multi-clipboard (last 50 clippings + predefined text) to easily enter/paste text anywhere.

- Easily set custom ringtone. Just copy rintone files to phone via any available means (bt, wifi, cloud etc). It will show up in ringtone selection. No need to go thru tedious steps (like in iOS)

- Tap on NFC sticker in car will auto turn on BT, start music playing, set the phone to "drive" mode and activate turn-by-turn navigation app.

- Set phone to only allows calls from "Family" contact group from 12-7am. Plus auto reject any calls that is in the blacklist.

- If there is a "meeting" entry in calendar, phone auto change to vibrate mode and only allows "family" and "work" contact group calls during the meeting period. (No need to remember to flip the silent switch on/off like in Iphone)

- Phone conversation recording is auto turned on for calls with a certain prefix. Plus you can play a pre-defined message for callers if you dont pick up the phone.

- Background write entries into a sub Google calendar for calls/sms activities (like a diary). Very useful if you have multiple cell lines. No need to move log/sms from one phone to another any more.

- Direct dial/sms with picture icon on desktop or in folder for quick one touch operation. Plus ability to create shortcuts to any files/contents for quick one-touch access.

- Auto send pre-defined sms/email to contacts birthday / anniversary. Auto backup data. Auto check-in to social networks based on location. Auto background upload of photos to social networks.

- Location-based (cell tower/gps) automation. e.g. when picking up someone auto-send a reminder sms when you are near predefined pickup point. Or turn on/off phone settings (BT, wifi, sound etc) when you enter/exit a certain predefined location.

- Ability to use "live" wallpaper OR ability to auto-change static wallpaper every 10 seconds (only when desktop is active). Plus use transparent icons without labels on desktop screen. Also set double-use gesture for bottom row icons (e.g. tap or swipe-up on the icon for different operations)

- Use widgets to display self-updating current essential info (tw,fb,g+,IMs,stock,weather etc) on the desktop screens. No need for tedious one-by-one opening of apps to view new data.

- Phone will keep the screen on if it detects that you are looking at it (Smart Stay).

- Turn the phone over to switch to vibrate mode (or have ring silenced during incoming call). Tilt phone to zoom when in gallery/browser.

- Quickly toogle phone settings from notification area. Easily set alerts to notify of cell duration/data usage.

- True multi-tasking allows for concurrently running "stacked" applications. Use the hard "Back" button to easily navigate back from stacked application windows. (no need to fumble about and wasting time to restart previous app like in Iphone)

- Fully working and always-on Skype, G+, voip... etc (receive as well as make calls). Plus Integration to phone contact to easily initiate call/video-call/message directly from phone contact.

- Soft keyboard with multi-words prediction and easy punctuations (i.e. less typing). Include Swype like keyboard T9 keyboard. Also in-phone voice to text translated without needing to connect to Internet (jelly bean).

- Easy unlock lockscreen (swipe in any direction - no need to look for unlock switch). Able to use pattern lock or facial unlock. Lock screen includes 4 shortcuts which activate app directly.

- Able to use voice to change phone settings + do navigation + etc (which are not available in iPhone)

- Easily connect portable devices (hard disk, usb-hub, keyboards, game controllers) to phone and use them using the USBToGo capability.

- Ability to create unrestricted phone-to-other-devices wireless connection via Wi-Fi Direct or BT.

- Listen to (airwaves) FM Radio.

- Output display to external monitor using cheap and non-proprietary HDMI-out cable. Or use DLNA to stream to DLNA-enabled devices without needing expensive add-on equipments.

- Able to load into phone and play any media files (avi, mkv, divx) directly without tedious conversion. (i.e. transfer files into phone via bt,wifi,cloud etc and play). Unlike you can only load media from one master itunes PC for Iphone.

- Able to play video in popup window (i.e Popup Play). You can continue to watch video while doing other tasks simultaneously.

- Able to expand phone storage to max 96 Gb. Potential can have unlimited in-phone storage using the USBToGo capability.

- Removable battery for extended use without needing to carry heavy/bulky external battery packs. Replaceable back cover so you can use phone without casing if you want (without worrying of expensive scratch repairs).

- Able to set a reading font size in browser. When zoomed in, text always appear at this specified font size. Text is also reflow to fit the screen for easy reading without side-scrolling.

- Able to press the home-button to answer call or power button to end call. Plus set speed dial numbers on the Phone dialpad.

- Able to SEAMLESSLY replace any stock apps with 3rd party apps to upgrade or improve functionalities. Also, app automatically scale up to match screen size (unlike Iphone 5 which runs older app with letterbox strips)

- Better overall Google-based services/apps. Plus install apps using PC browser.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Okay fine, I'll bite.

OP, maybe if you have known that the (stock) S3 can do the following useful stuff which is NOT possible on Iphone (maybe even with jailbreak), then you would have think twice :p

Some of these points are kind of ridiculous.

* "Better overall Google-based services/apps." Sure, except that most Google services are also available on iPhone, where as the inverse is not true. You can't get iCloud or other Apple services on Android devices. So iOS provides more flexibility there, not less.

* "Able to set a reading font size in browser. When zoomed in, text always appear at this specified font size." Uh, have you even looked at the Accessibility options in iOS? I guess not?

* Able to play video in popup window (i.e Popup Play). You can continue to watch video while doing other tasks simultaneously. How is that really useful on a small phone display? I can barely multi-task on my 13.3" laptop, so don't tell me the 'large' screen of the SIII makes it a joy to multitask like that.

* Able to load into phone and play any media files (avi, mkv, divx) directly without tedious conversion. (i.e. transfer files into phone via bt,wifi,cloud etc and play). Unlike you can only load media from one master itunes PC for Iphone. Various apps have actually made it fairly easy to do this on iOS as well. As usual, the App Store has the answers.

* Output display to external monitor using cheap and non-proprietary HDMI-out cable. Or use DLNA to stream to DLNA-enabled devices without needing expensive add-on equipments. DLNA is a mess. Furthermore, all DLNA-enabled devices are at least as expensive as the $99 Apple TV, which integrates seamlessly with iTunes, iPhone, iPad, and Macs through AirPlay and Home Sharing.

* - Listen to (airwaves) FM Radio. That's like advertising "Ability to insert floppy disks into phone."

*Easy unlock lockscreen (swipe in any direction - no need to look for unlock switch). Well, it's not hard to "look" for the unlock switch in iOS. And even if it were, the whole point of a lock screen is that it's supposed to prevent you from accidentally waking the phone by touching it randomly.

*Auto send pre-defined sms/email to contacts birthday / anniversary. Auto backup data. Auto check-in to social networks based on location. Auto background upload of photos to social networks.

Auto backup data? You mean like iCloud? Auto check-in to social networks based on location? That's something you can easily do on iOS using those specific social network apps, so why is this a feature of the SIII? Auto background upload of photos to social networks? You can upload and share your photos to social networks through iOS, and "auto background upload" them to Photo Stream as well. :rolleyes:

*Set phone to only allows calls from "Family" contact group from 12-7am. Plus auto reject any calls that is in the blacklist.

Yeah, this is all easy to do in iOS 6. Check out "Do Not Disturb" :rolleyes:

I could go on, but I'm getting tired.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I had a similar episode a while ago, but that involved going from the 3GS to a Galaxy S, then the 4 to a Nexus S.

Both attempts at Android (skinned and vanilla, of course) left me severely disappointed and it was absolutely wonderful to come back to iOS each time.

Never again! iOS is my true comfort zone and works so well with my other Apple devices.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Samsung hastily half-built many of the things iOS has refined over the years. Like S-Voice, what a piece of crap. They added a bunch of last minute attention grabbers that after you use for a while seem kind of hastily put together and not well thought out. Not to mention AMOLED, what disgusting garbage. PenTile pixel layout STILL? You've got to be kidding me. Also, performance-wise the GS III doesn't hold a candle compared to iPhone 5. Samsung made a big fuss about the next big thing but all they've done is point me in the direction of iPhone 5. The real next big thing.

In the Android world, I think the next Nexus device will be good (because it runs vanilla/stock Android and not skinned crap) and the Optimus G. HTC One series is rather good in the skins area. Motorola's skins seem a bit ugly but the hardware is quite nice.

I played around with a friend's GS III. He rooted it and customized it so much and it still doesn't match the cohesiveness of my iPhone 4. I also didn't spend half a day rooting it and customizing it. Hardware creaks, flexes, feels and looks cheap. Which exactly what it is. Cheap Korean crap.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I sold my 4S a few months back for a S3. I really wanted to like the 23 and it's OK for a phone but there is just so much stuff in settings that I would never ever bother with or even be interested in.

Like others, I just like how the iPhone works and does everything that I need it to without very much trouble. It works with my cars Pioneer decks being that they are iPod ready and both of my Macs.

I even stayed away from Macrumors for a few months because the iPhone was the biggest reason that I came here.

Wendy, I'm home! :D and I feel good!

MittsTaxreturn

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
i owned the ip4 and when the 4s was released, i have to admit, i was an angry apple customer. i really wanted the 4g! (real 4g) so i purchased the galaxy s2, and after a few days of using it i just decided that it wasnt for me. so back to the ip4 and waiting for the release of the ip5. and now that i have the 5, needless to say im a happy camper

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Okay fine, I'll bite.

Some of these points are kind of ridiculous.

* "Better overall Google-based services/apps." Sure, except that most Google services are also available on iPhone, where as the inverse is not true. You can't get iCloud or other Apple services on Android devices. So iOS provides more flexibility there, not less.

Yeah, I know some are available for iOS but they have less capability than Android version.

* "Able to set a reading font size in browser. When zoomed in, text always appear at this specified font size." Uh, have you even looked at the Accessibility options in iOS? I guess not?

Are you refering to the "text-only" browser view? It is not the same and not as flexible.

* Able to play video in popup window (i.e Popup Play). You can continue to watch video while doing other tasks simultaneously. How is that really useful on a small phone display? I can barely multi-task on my 13.3" laptop, so don't tell me the 'large' screen of the SIII makes it a joy to multitask like that.

It is something nice to have but to some it may be gimmicky.

* Able to load into phone and play any media files (avi, mkv, divx) directly without tedious conversion. (i.e. transfer files into phone via bt,wifi,cloud etc and play). Unlike you can only load media from one master itunes PC for Iphone. Various apps have actually made it fairly easy to do this on iOS as well. As usual, the App Store has the answers.

If you are talking about consuming files from cloud storage, then it is not the same. Why do I want to waste bandwidth/battery to do that? There is no way to load files directly to Iphone local storage except thru itunes.

* Output display to external monitor using cheap and non-proprietary HDMI-out cable. Or use DLNA to stream to DLNA-enabled devices without needing expensive add-on equipments. DLNA is a mess. Furthermore, all DLNA-enabled devices are at least as expensive as the $99 Apple TV, which integrates seamlessly with iTunes, iPhone, iPad, and Macs through AirPlay and Home Sharing.

Most newer TV's (or other devices) have DLNA built in. So you dont need a $99 box.

* - Listen to (airwaves) FM Radio. That's like advertising "Ability to insert floppy disks into phone."

To some people it is an important function.

*Easy unlock lockscreen (swipe in any direction - no need to look for unlock switch). Well, it's not hard to "look" for the unlock switch in iOS. And even if it were, the whole point of a lock screen is that it's supposed to prevent you from accidentally waking the phone by touching it randomly.

It is hard if you are driving or walking or using left hand.

btw: You wont accidentally unlock with S3 lock screen.

*Auto send pre-defined sms/email to contacts birthday / anniversary. Auto backup data. Auto check-in to social networks based on location. Auto background upload of photos to social networks.

Auto backup data? You mean like iCloud? Auto check-in to social networks based on location? That's something you can easily do on iOS using those specific social network apps, so why is this a feature of the SIII? Auto background upload of photos to social networks? You can upload and share your photos to social networks through iOS, and "auto background upload" them to Photo Stream as well. :rolleyes:

Well, you have to launch those apps before you can do this, isnt it? It won't do it behind the scene for you without you needing to launch the app.

And Photo stream is limited to apple ecosystem isnt it? :p

*Set phone to only allows calls from "Family" contact group from 12-7am. Plus auto reject any calls that is in the blacklist.

Yeah, this is all easy to do in iOS 6. Check out "Do Not Disturb" :rolleyes:

OK. Missed out this. I forgot to update this point for iOS 6. btw: I created this list since 2 years ago.

I could go on, but I'm getting tired.

So the rest of the points are valid then. :lol:

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Font size management seems so much better on Android, you can use a device like the Galaxy Nexus or S3 in portrait mode all the time, never needing to scroll side to side or flip the phone sideways.

The new iPhone despite being promoted as bigger has the same small fonts too often, reader helps when its offered, and your vision might be better than mine too, so it may not be an issue for all.

Other than that I'd perfer iOS despite the number of Android advantages posted above since it works so well with a combination of Apple devices.

I'd take an S3 over the 5, but if Apple improved font management or offered a truly larger version of the iPhone it would be the one.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Well, I admit it. I made a mistake. A few months ago I decided to jump ship and leave Apple for the Galaxy S3. I sold my iP4 and bought the S3 off contract. Loaded it up with video, music and customized my UI. I won't go into the "pluses and minus" review but suffice to say the S3 had a few nice features. Still, I never completely fell in love.

WHy don't you post the threads where you stated on the android forums how glad you were when you left Iphone for Samsung?

Geez.....flip flopper!

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
WHy don't you post the threads where you stated on the android forums how glad you were when you left Iphone for Samsung?

Geez.....flip flopper!

I was glad. And now, after spending time with the Android I've changed my mind and I'm happy to be back with the iPhone. Sounds a little too important to you that I'm posting here and there...

Geez...Stalker.

Insilin1i

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I did the same between my iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 upgrade I tried out the Galaxy S3 for about a week. It wasn't bad, but not for me. I relied to much on iCloud and iTunes, which really makes everything so seamless.

What bothered me the most was a couple of days after buying the phone the Jelly Bean update with a lot of useful features came out and I couldn't update because the S3 isn't supported until Samsung pushes the update.

I was so used to being able to download betas for the iPhone and getting all the useful features ahead of time and here I was stuck on outdated software with the latest Galaxy S3.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
@mib1800:

Oh, don't get me wrong. The S3 is a great phone! I will miss some of the features you listed (being able to download files straight to phone is a BIG one for me). If I could incorporate some of that stuff easily into the iPhone then I'd have the ultimate phone! :p

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

I think you nailed it by saying the UI is bonkers. There's way too much **** going on and I think that's why the legion of Android fanboys loves it so much. Small minds like shiny things...

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Reading this stuff made me glad I did my research before getting the 5 instead of gs3. 5 did what I needed it to and wanted it to. Good to now my choice can be justified.

And for the long comment about what gs3 can do- I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking most of that stuff can be done in iOS 6/ iPhone 5 (pictures while recording). So by saying you can't do it is not true. And that's why I went with the 5- most of the things that were drawing me to gs3 was easily accessible in iOS 6/ i5

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I did the same between my iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 upgrade I tried out the Galaxy S3 for about a week. It wasn't bad, but not for me. I relied to much on iCloud and iTunes, which really makes everything so seamless.

What bothered me the most was a couple of days after buying the phone the Jelly Bean update with a lot of useful features came out and I couldn't update because the S3 isn't supported until Samsung pushes the update.

I was so used to being able to download betas for the iPhone and getting all the useful features ahead of time and here I was stuck on outdated software with the latest Galaxy S3.

From about a year ago, even the latest iOS versions are always way behind Android which makes your point kind of ironic, is not it? Just an example: iOS is 4 years behind Android with Widgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.