Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slimzee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hi

I'm "trying" to buy my first iphone(5). I imagine the battery will have a charge of 50-75% out of the box.

My query is should i de-charge it to 0% then back to 100% or get it to 100% out of the box and carry on using it?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not sure exactly how much it matters, but apparently using it till it's dead then charging it is the way to go :)

...Although I didn't do that when I got my 4S ;)

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
Hi

I'm "trying" to buy my first iphone(5). I imagine the battery will have a charge of 50-75% out of the box.

My query is should i de-charge it to 0% then back to 100% or get it to 100% out of the box and carry on using it?

I've read let electronics die to 0% then recharge it to 100% then repeat a couple of times. When I bought it, I got mine about 50-60% and let it die. It's about 50% now and been using it on and off for most of the day, had it off the charger since 3am yesterday. Used data for 30mins for spotify on my drive, on the phone for about 1/2 hour. Feeling like this thing will have a good battery life.

hazelgreene

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
Gizmodo had an article about how to setup your new iPhone and initially said to run the battery all the way down but people commented that was not the way to do it.

"Li-ion batteries have a finite amount of cycles, and you should actually avoid full discharges if you can help it. Keep your battery topped off as much as possible, and only occasionally run it down, if it seems your fuel gauge is off."

http://gizmodo.com/5945200/how-to-set-up-your-new-iphone-5-the-right-way

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.