Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
So I've noticed everytime I leave my iphone 5 sleeping for a minute or so and then I press the home button to turn the screen on, LTE is the first default connection on the top left status bar. Then, after 2 seconds or so, the wifi indicator returns, confirming my connection to our router. Has anyone else noticed this? Is the iPhone 5, or maybe just the Verizon iPhone 5, defaulting to other technologies when in sleep mode, therefore causing background data (email, push, notifications) to use my cellular connection instead of wifi?

iHawaii

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I am on ATT - mine does the same thing... shows LTE for a split second when waking it, then reverts to house wifi. I don't know if any cellular data is being consumed when asleep, but this doesn't affect me - unlimited user. However, I'd be interested to know why this is occurring.

nabechu

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
My 4 and 4S do the same thing, its normal. The wifi always shuts off after you put the phone to sleep and reconnects when woken up.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I know for a fact my 4S didn't do this. Not saying y'alls didn't, but mine never had this issue. Regardless, the fact that you all have had this issue sort of makes it a non-issue.

Still worries me that notifications are being pushed using cellular data. I just moved from AT&T unlimited to Verizon 6GB data plan so I definitely need to start watching my data!

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
My 4,4s and 5 do it. It's complete normal.

I don't think it consumes data as when on vacation and in airplane mode and only connected to data it still gives me my notifications.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
Same thing ...

My girlfriends 4s is on wifi all the time... but when I hit my home button its on 4G and then a couple seconds later kicks to wifi...

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Your battery would suffer if it kept a constant wifi connection when asleep.

I don't think this is true. When I'm at home I always disable cellular data so that wifi stays on all the time. In my experience this drastically improves battery life. Last night I lost around 4% battery life in 8 hours whilst in standby with wifi connected and cellular data off.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
I know for a fact my 4S didn't do this. Not saying y'alls didn't, but mine never had this issue. Regardless, the fact that you all have had this issue sort of makes it a non-issue.

Still worries me that notifications are being pushed using cellular data. I just moved from AT&T unlimited to Verizon 6GB data plan so I definitely need to start watching my data!

I know for a fact that your 4S did do this. This is standard behaviour and has been since the very first iPhone. All data whilst in sleep is sent via cellular as the wifi is powered down (unless using airplay etc).

whamboozler

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Wifi consumes less battery than LTE and additionally, if you have push notifications on those will use cellular data and use up data from whatever data plan you have. Seems like a big oversight to fallback to LTE here when wifi is available.

jkkool

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
So I've noticed everytime I leave my iphone 5 sleeping for a minute or so and then I press the home button to turn the screen on, LTE is the first default connection on the top left status bar. Then, after 2 seconds or so, the wifi indicator returns, confirming my connection to our router. Has anyone else noticed this? Is the iPhone 5, or maybe just the Verizon iPhone 5, defaulting to other technologies when in sleep mode, therefore causing background data (email, push, notifications) to use my cellular connection instead of wifi?

I have same problem, mine is factory unlocked, the place where im is not even have 3G we are on EDGE, and the problem starts here when i put some big app on update or buy new app and when my phone goes to sleep it stops and when wake it up thinking that app must be downloaded it shows that unable to download app. sometime i have to keep it awake or i tried couple of times leaving it till it goes to sleep by itself then after pressing home button i see Wifi, today ill be checking it on my 4s, i never had this app update problem on 4s.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Looks like the latest iOS update has made this a non-issue. Even though I still see the quick change from LTE to wifi in the status bar, there is no 2 second delay, like before, for this to happen. With the update, it seems like a split second. I think the iPhone is communicating every so often with the router just to let it know its still there so that when a user turns on their device, their iPhone is instantly ready to begin consuming data on wifi. I think the update (6.0.2) has really just made wifi a lot more efficient overall. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.