Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:19 PM   #26
wirelessness
macrumors 6502

There was an obvious rattle in the iPhone 4S from the camera lenses which are not fixed. The 5 still has this but MUCH less...at least on mine.

I certainly don't feel anything like the OP is describing....
wirelessness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:54 PM   #27
iPadPublisher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessness View Post
There was an obvious rattle in the iPhone 4S from the camera lenses which are not fixed. The 5 still has this but MUCH less...at least on mine.

I certainly don't feel anything like the OP is describing....
I'm not saying you're wrong... but my 4S doesn't have any audible sound when shaken, and I don't recall the 4 doing that either.

Mine sounds like the logic board isn't screwed down. Its like one big chunk moving around in there, not something small or whatever.
iPadPublisher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:59 PM   #28
Opstech
macrumors 6502a

Check out iFix-it's web site. look for what could be loose or large enough to have that type of "thud" I'm just as worried to go home and be welcomed to the QC issues. I should have waited!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:59 PM   #29
cmakohon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Could be the sleep wake button. Try holding it down and see if the phone makes any noise.

If your sleep wake button is loose or has some play, its normal. Some iPhones are like that, and some are not.
This. I was worried that my iPhone 5 was rattling, but then I realized it was just the sleep/wake button.
cmakohon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:00 PM   #30
apadden
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSjos View Post
After seeing all these posts about rattling coming from inside the phone and people finding chips/scuffs on the edges, I'm kinda afraid to open my box when I get home from work.

That definitely sounds like something they should replace though.
Exactly what I am thinking. /:
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:28 PM   #31
UCF Sam
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadPublisher View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong... but my 4S doesn't have any audible sound when shaken, and I don't recall the 4 doing that either.

Mine sounds like the logic board isn't screwed down. Its like one big chunk moving around in there, not something small or whatever.
Yep... It's something that has some size and weight to it, not a switch or focus. I wish I had the proper tools to open it, has to be the battery.
UCF Sam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:06 PM   #32
mzjin
macrumors 6502

I can confirm the same thing. Feels like heavy thudding.

Getting another swap. iPhone 5 #3 coming up.
mzjin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:36 PM   #33
jaysen
macrumors 6502

Very disappointing to read about these quality control issues from Apple. Maybe these phones with the issues are coming from the new factory that they used ?
jaysen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:39 PM   #34
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

Have the same problem. My closest Apple Store is 2 hours away, should I call Apple's CS?

It is a huge thud hitting the side of the phone. It isn't a little rattle that would be the buttons, there is something on the inside hitting the edge of the phone, aka, the battery.
DayOfChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:40 PM   #35
El3ctronics
macrumors 6502a

I have a minor rattle but its my volume buttons which are a little loose.
El3ctronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:42 PM   #36
mebehere
macrumors member

My volume down rattles. It's not a thud. Just a rattle. Noticed it upon unboxing. Haven't notice since, but I can make it do it if I shake it. I don't normally shake it, though. That's my experience.
mebehere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:43 PM   #37
House Crasher

That has got to be the battery or logic board making that hard of a sound. Keep making them in China and they will continue to be plagued by quality issues The only positive is that Apple has great customer service, you're never left outside in the rain.
House Crasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:44 PM   #38
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

My sleep/wake button rattles as does my camera lens. I know the lens is normal but the sleep/wake is new to me. I just read where someone said they checked 15 or so display models and they all had some play in the sleep/wake button.

Chalking it up as normal.

Won't be able to hear it over the 50 gigs of music I can now fit on my phone lol
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:56 PM   #39
mzjin
macrumors 6502

This is not a power button rattle l, but an interior component banging and thudding around inside the phone.

Also who calls it sleep wake button? It's a power button, which like most power buttons can sleep, wake or power down the device.
mzjin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:17 PM   #40
UCF Sam
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm in this same boat... I uploaded a quick YouTube video.

http://youtu.be/5qctM18D4RI

Doubt very seriously that I'm gonna get a replacement any time soon, but calling Apple Store nearest me now to see. Grr.

----------

I got three phones on my account today, one rattles and two don't ... so either I've got two broken autofocus lenses, or there's something wrong with the ONE phone. LOL.

My phone sounds exactly the same.
UCF Sam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:10 PM   #41
B Luv
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF Sam View Post
Feels like the battery is loose, every time I move the phone I can feel something large move, its more of a thud rather than a rattle. Anyone experiencing something similar? I made an appointment with the Genius bar tomorrow.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
I had the same problem as you where it sound it like I was shaking a box of candy. Just received it from UPS and out of the box it did that. I took it to the Apple Store and the Genius opened it and re tightened it and no more rattle. My phone works perfectly too, I think the board wasn't tight enough.
B Luv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:56 PM   #42
UCF Sam
macrumors regular

I just got home and opened mine up. I discovered that the battery was not firmly pressed into its adhesive. After pressing down the battery the iPhone is solid and silent, hopefully it remains this way, but I have my doubts since the adhesive was exposed to air while the battery was not firmly attached.

As most people do not have the tools to perform this repair, a pentalobe screwdriver, I recommend bringing the phone to your local genius bar for repair.

I made a video of the before and after.

http://youtu.be/LHoH-RnNr4w
UCF Sam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:37 AM   #43
iPadPublisher
macrumors 6502

I got a comment on my YouTube post from a guy who said he too had this issue, and he pressed firmly (but carefully) on the middle of the glass, kind of squeezing front and back together. I did this, then did the top third, then the bottom third, then pressed all over in spots, always kind of squeezing the front and back together.

This seems to have done the trick for now... no more rattle. I'll keep you updated if it "pops" loose again or whatever...
iPadPublisher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:10 AM   #44
jessistyle
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I had the ultimate let down today. I am one of those that stayed up until midnight on the preorder day. I had my iPhone ordered by 12:03AM. I took a half day off work today to get my new iPhone 5. I opened it up from UPS and of course, bad luck having the best of me; my brand new 64GB iPhone 5 was chipped on the right side aluminum. I picked it up and immediately called Apple. As I am making the phone call, I notice a huge shift inside the phone as I picked it up. It was like someone took the phone apart, ripped out the inside in one whole piece and put it loosely back in. Definitely a thud when shaken. Not a loose button, not the camera lens loose, we're talking the entire inside was loose in one whole piece. I had to choke back tears because I know how Apple handles damaged phones. Poorly. Long story short, I went into Apple and got it exchanged while there were still phones left. Quite a few employees stood around me to give it a shake and look at the chip. They were all in shock that gave a thud like that and immediately handed me a new one. Now my 64 GB is perfect. I couldn't be happier
jessistyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:41 PM   #45
smiddlehurst
macrumors 65816

Okay, quick update as it may be useful to some. Went to the Apple store (no, they weren't cancelling genius appointments as someone said upthread) and saw a Genius. Immediately acknowledged something major was wrong and replaced it on the spot. Diagnosis was indeed a loose battery.

What was interesting was the genius said this wasn't the first one he'd seen. Not a widespread issue but they'd had a couple of other units come back with the same problem. It's not something I'd consider headline worthy, just the sort of production problem you're bound to get when building millions of units, but if anyone reads this and thinks they have the same problem get in touch with Apple.
smiddlehurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:55 PM   #46
smassey321
macrumors newbie

My 5 rattles at the lens just like the 4s. It also rattles from the power switch which is not as tight as I would expect it to be.
smassey321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:04 PM   #47
mindenjoe
macrumors newbie

I bought mine yesterday morning and today it started making the thudding sound. It definitely sounds like something heavy is shifting around inside like possibly the battery. I noticed the 5 generates quite a bit of heat and perhaps the adhesive on the battery didn't yet set from the factory and had soften from the heat. Just a guess but I have an appointment Monday and I'll see what they say.
mindenjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:10 AM   #48
Eyes
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 rattling noise

Picked up a iPhone 5 on Friday during lunch, within about an hour I had noticed that there's a loud rattling noise coming from within the iPhone 5 at the top of the device when shaken. I've checked with another iPhone 5 and that didn't make this noise - it's not even any of the side buttons.

Headed back to O2 where I brought it from a few hours later not expecting a same day swap out due to demand etc; however they tried to blag it off as normal! In the end they said I've got 28 days to keep coming into store until they have stock to swap it!

My question is will Apple be able to swap it out at their stores, so soon to launch? I'm heading to one tomorrow afternoon to get my iPhone 4 fixed... Wasn't intending on getting an iPhone 5, damn impulse buying :P

In addition, has anyone else have a loud rattling noise? I'm hoping the swap out wont have one of those nice little white scruff marks -_-
Eyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:12 AM   #49
albertxp06
macrumors regular

I've noticed a small rattling sound in the top of my iPhone, near the sleep/wake button. I assume it's not going to affect the phone considering my 4S had it as well. I've got a few days before my screen protector arrives, so I'll wait for the hype to die down before exchanging it at an Apple Store.
albertxp06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:29 AM   #50
Eyes
macrumors newbie

I wouldn't be so bothered, but the guy next to me at work who has an iPhone 5 doesn't make any noise. Do you think Apple will have stock already for swap outs?

I need to track down some protectors as well, but for the back of the phone... Brought a pack with only front screen protectors lol
Eyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone