Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:06 PM   #101
aquadisiac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
sorry to be a stickler... do you mean "HOME" button as in the round button at the bottom of the phone or do you mean "sleep/wake" as in the button that sits on top of the phone?

The HOME button at the bottom should be firm from my experience. I've seen more loose sleep/wake buttons however.
Im talking about the round button. It seems firm but there's def a rattling sound coming from there when i shake it
Time Capsule
aquadisiac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:08 PM   #102
boxster99t
macrumors member

OK, so my 64GB black (Apple pre-order) rattles ever so slightly and to be honest, if I hadn't seen this thread, I would never have known it did (because I would never hear it under normal usage, when not specifically checking for it). If it bugs you, take it back, I guess. Mine--don't know it it's normal, but I'm OK with mine as is.
boxster99t is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:08 PM   #103
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRuNcHiE View Post
Products with moving parts, e.g motors, speakers, autofocus camera lens and buttons will RATTLE if you shake them.

This is NORMAL.

Tomorrows lesson is titled 'How can i make myself accept that Apple Maps really is rubbish and stop living the lie'
Out of curiosity, I just tried to shake my Galaxy Nexus. I hear nothing. Is that normal?
lilo777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:11 PM   #104
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Out of curiosity, I just tried to shake my Galaxy Nexus. I hear nothing. Is that normal?
No, get your hearing tested. I'm guessing you're over 30 and/or use in-ear headphones/ear buds.

EDIT: Nexus is plastic and doesnt have a home button so less to rattle and not so noticeable like metal.

Last edited by cRuNcHiE; Sep 24, 2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: .
cRuNcHiE is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:13 PM   #105
Cali3350
macrumors regular

Quote:
Products with moving parts, e.g motors, speakers, autofocus camera lens and buttons will RATTLE if you shake them.

This is NORMAL.

Tomorrows lesson is titled 'How can i make myself accept that Apple Maps really is rubbish and stop living the lie'
The issue is the amount. My Fiancee's rattles much much much less than my own. I hear mine just by bringing the phone up to my head. And its not a 'thud' like a loose battery or anything, its a camera ticke tickle rattle... but its quite loud.
Cali3350 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:15 PM   #106
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadisiac View Post
Im talking about the round button. It seems firm but there's def a rattling sound coming from there when i shake it
meh. Personally, it's up to you to return or not. I haven't had a loose home button so I can't attest to the longevity of something in that shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster99t View Post
OK, so my 64GB black (Apple pre-order) rattles ever so slightly and to be honest, if I hadn't seen this thread, I would never have known it did (because I would never hear it under normal usage, when not specifically checking for it). If it bugs you, take it back, I guess. Mine--don't know it it's normal, but I'm OK with mine as is.
Right. And I'm sure if I hadn't noticed it overboard on my first 4s, I would have never thought to check. After noticing it on my 4s, I now notice it on every device I touch.

----------

Quote:
Let's also get something else straight:

Shaking the phone should NOT produce a rattle. You HAVE to TAP the back near the camera or possibly just when you set it down. I can shake my phone all day and not hear anything.

it's a marble-like clanking when you TAP it or if I set it down on the table a certain way.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:15 PM   #107
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
No, get your hearing tested. I'm guessing you're over 30 and/or use in-ear headphones/ear buds.
But I can hear rattle in iPhone 5. Maybe I should check my hearing for that too?
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:17 PM   #108
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali3350 View Post
The issue is the amount. My Fiancee's rattles much much much less than my own. I hear mine just by bringing the phone up to my head. And its not a 'thud' like a loose battery or anything, its a camera ticke tickle rattle... but its quite loud.
Do they both have cases on? different cases? no case? Also like i said about the motor, The more the vibration motor is used, the more likely things will work slightly loose or make noise.

Also heat could be a factor. are the phones the same temp? do you game on it more so it heats up more? So many factors to consider.

Maybe you use your vibrator more.ahem lol
cRuNcHiE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:20 PM   #109
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
But I can hear rattle in iPhone 5. Maybe I should check my hearing for that too?
ignoring the brashness of the guy above... do you legitimately hear a rattle when you shake your iphone 5?

do you hear it if you apply slight pressure to the sleep/wake and the vol+/vol- buttons and then shake it?

How about if you mute those buttons by lightly touching them then tap the back under the camera?

Doing a few different tests should narrow down where it's coming from. Again, I can shake my phone all day long and don't hear anything. It's ONLY when I set it down on the table, face up, (on a tuesday in the rain) lol OK, I had to add that last part cause it sounds like we're splitting hairs here but I and I'm sure others really want to know if this is something we should be concerned about and at the very least, would like to discuss.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:21 PM   #110
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Let's also get something else straight:

Shaking the phone should NOT produce a rattle. You HAVE to TAP the back near the camera or possibly just when you set it down. I can shake my phone all day and not hear anything.

it's a marble-like clanking when you TAP it or if I set it down on the table a certain way.
My money is on the camera lens. The 4s makes the exact same marble like 'chink'

If you fire up the camera app and tap to focus in different places while tapping , the 'rattle' stops occasionally while it is obtaining focus.

Other noise could just mean the motor is stopped in a different position.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:23 PM   #111
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali3350 View Post
BINGO!

This is really the only question I personally have. "HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?" or "What's the tolerance on this?". If you call Apple, you'll get whatever answer. I called last year about my 4s and they said it shouldn't be making any noise. They obviously were on the other end of the phone so they can't hear/see it in person. For all they know, there was a screw loose in there. Experience and hands-on time with these things tells me that it is "normal" I'm just trying to gauge "to what extent".
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:24 PM   #112
Nicolas4ever
macrumors 6502a

every iPhone i owned does it, but i can hear it only if i am really close to the camera lens, i mean really lol, it's normal RELAX
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:25 PM   #113
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
My money is on the camera lens. The 4s makes the exact same marble like 'chink'

If you fire up the camera app and tap to focus in different places while tapping , the 'rattle' stops occasionally while it is obtaining focus.

Other noise could just mean the motor is stopped in a different position.
Oh, I'm 100% certain it's the camera lens. I've done the focus test and I've heard it on my 4s for the last year. I think we're more trying to figure out what the tolerance is and if we're within spec
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:27 PM   #114
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Oh, I'm 100% certain it's the camera lens. I've done the focus test and I've heard it on my 4s for the last year. I think we're more trying to figure out what the tolerance is and if we're within spec
Maybe the camera modules are different in different batches. not impossible.

I really think this is a non-issue. Enjoy your phone, If it breaks or gets worse then it will be in warranty and you'll get a later production without the fault ( If any)
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:28 PM   #115
Funnone
macrumors regular

No rattle here.....
Funnone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:39 PM   #116
alphabetagaga
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahonen View Post
My white iPhone 5 is completely silent when I shake it, in any direction. Why is it some have this rattle noise and others don't? Seems like if it was normal, mine would also be rattling.
perhaps the non rattlers are the defective ones!
alphabetagaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:41 PM   #117
Ahonen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post
That'd be my luck.
Ahonen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:52 PM   #118
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnone View Post
No rattle here.....
Quote:
well, you smile at the end but you may legitimately be on to something... If the design is to have some free-play (as to physically move the lens in order to focus) then something WITHOUT free-play may not be working right, no?

As an aside, here's a link with a few other good links on the subject:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18458044#18458044
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:52 PM   #119
alphabetagaga
macrumors member

until there is some sort of official clarification, who knows for sure if the 'rattle' SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be present?
alphabetagaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:54 PM   #120
map1978
macrumors 68020

why u shaking your phone up to your ear in the first place?
map1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:33 PM   #121
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
until there is some sort of official clarification, who knows for sure if the 'rattle' SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be present?
Who are we looking to for official clarification? Apple? They will stay as quiet as possible about EVERYTHING because any time they admit something is not right or out of spec (notice I did not use the word "wrong"), it brings it to the attention of people who wouldn't otherwise have noticed and it costs them money. Here's some reference that is NON iPhone specific... Heck, this is NON cellphone specific:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...18&postcount=4

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/06...t-rattles.html

Quote:
You can feel that something is loose when tilting the lens forwards and backwards. I guess that the focus unit inside the Sigma 30mm lens is loose, to enable quick focusing. When the lens is "active", the rattle disappears.
http://www.mu-43.com/f38/rattling-sound-lens-12645

Quote:
p.2 quote:
many many lenses exhibit it. The manufacturer can have a stiffer/more damped zoom ring or a mechanical lock to prevent it, but many cheaper lenses (like the 45-200) forgo that extra expense
http://www.talknex.com/f11/sigma-30-2-8-rattle-895/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2203413AASehob

short reserch says that sony and maybe optivision made cameras for the 4s models... not sure if that still holds true for the 5...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:04 PM   #122
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:15 PM   #123
mcmanus7
macrumors 6502

My 3GS did this, my 4 did this, I know of 5 iPhone 4S's that did this and both of the 5's that I have in my possession do this.

I will note that I did have a iPhone 4 that the sleep/wake button was clearly rattling/lose that is not normal.

IMO it is a non-issue. I'd say there is a higher likelihood that your replacement will have a worse defect then a rattle that isn't even a defect.
mcmanus7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:59 PM   #124
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmanus7 View Post
My 3GS did this, my 4 did this, I know of 5 iPhone 4S's that did this and both of the 5's that I have in my possession do this.

I will note that I did have a iPhone 4 that the sleep/wake button was clearly rattling/lose that is not normal.

IMO it is a non-issue. I'd say there is a higher likelihood that your replacement will have a worse defect then a rattle that isn't even a defect.
What's wrong with slight play in the sleep/wake button? I mean, do you know what the long-term impact of this will be? I was gonna ignore it as it seems very firm and precise just makes a slight noise when in shake the phone. I think the vol buttons may have a tad bit of play too...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:34 PM   #125
NavyDude065
macrumors member

It's the crystal lens cover

It's the crystal camera lens cover. I placed my finger on the crystal cover and no more rattle. It's part of the design.
NavyDude065 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone