Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:43 AM   #1
markrideout
macrumors newbie

UK Three - Who needs EE LTE?

These kind of speeds are amazing...

Why would you need LTE from EE. With 3 you have truly unlimited data!
markrideout is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

Am looking forward to seeing what O2's DC-HSDPA looks like. Heard mixed reports on Three but may order a sim and try out in my usual places.

I agree though, EE seems to be a lot of hype and suspect their actual speeds won't be so great from what I've read.
Moccasin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:48 AM   #3
OzyOly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrideout View Post

You do realise 3 will be using EE's LTE soon enough? It was part of the conditions ofcom laid out.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:52 AM   #4
markrideout
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzyOly View Post
You do realise 3 will be using EE's LTE soon enough? It was part of the conditions ofcom laid out.
Wouldn't we have the option to turn LTE off if 3G is faster. Looking at EE estimate of 8mbp I hope this is the case.
markrideout is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Pennine
macrumors 6502

Three won't be using EE's network, they have purchased some from EE for there own use. It belongs to Three now. The problem with Three is they don't have a 2G network! So when you have a poor or non existent 3G/4G reception you won't be able to use your phone. EE's 2G network covers about 98% of the UK.
Shuffle
Pennine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Steven.
macrumors member

It's amazingly fast! I'm averaging 13mbps download and 3.5mbps upload speeds indoors.
Steven. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:18 AM   #7
Sheza
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennine View Post
Three won't be using EE's network, they have purchased some from EE for there own use. It belongs to Three now. The problem with Three is they don't have a 2G network! So when you have a poor or non existent 3G/4G reception you won't be able to use your phone. EE's 2G network covers about 98% of the UK.
OH.

That is something I didn't know.

Oh well....... @_@
Current:
rMBP 13" (Mid 2014) 256GB | iPhone 6 - 64GB (Space Grey)
Sheza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:20 AM   #8
OzyOly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I thought it was just least to 3, like 3G virtual networks, but EE control the spectrum still?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:23 AM   #9
monty77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Tripe. Three has a national roaming agreement when there's no 3G coverage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutchis...United_Kingdom

..you cannot use data in roaming mode however, calls only.

M
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:26 AM   #10
ct2k7
macrumors 603

Quote:
I thought it was just least to 3, like 3G virtual networks, but EE control the spectrum still?
Three have purchased, not leased, the spectrum from EE, which was a condition of the merger.

Three isn't an MVNO per se.
ct2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:29 AM   #11
Voodoophone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Am looking forward to seeing what O2's DC-HSDPA looks like.
As would I.
Voodoophone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:29 AM   #12
monty77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2k7 View Post
Three have purchased, not leased, the spectrum from EE, which was a condition of the merger.

Three isn't an MVNO per se.
They're not an MVNO in any sense surely? They have their own infrastructure / billing etc..

The fact that have a national roaming agreement in place for network blindspots is extremely wise, I wish that ALL providers would do this personally - I'd even pay for it! Just to be able to make a call pretty much anywhere would be amazing and save the frequent asking around the table at dinner 'who's got signal?' when it's time to get a cab :-)
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:30 AM   #13
bp1000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty77 View Post

M
Tripe

I get no signal in several places near where I live due to no 3G

They turned off the orange 2g fallback a while ago

Data is good but I still need basic contact wherever I am
bp1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:30 AM   #14
monty77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoophone View Post
As would I.
Given that o2 cannot remotely handle the current traffic, especially in London, I wouldn't hold out much hope.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:30 AM   #15
Pennine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No I'm sure three have agreed to buy some from EE but not sure when they can use it!
Shuffle
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:31 AM   #16
ct2k7
macrumors 603

Quote:
They're not an MVNO in any sense surely? They have their own infrastructure / billing etc..

The fact that have a national roaming agreement in place for network blindspots is extremely wise, I wish that ALL providers would do this personally - I'd even pay for it! Just to be able to make a call pretty much anywhere would be amazing and save the frequent asking around the table at dinner 'who's got signal?' when it's time to get a cab :-)
Nope, Three are not an MVNO, as you said, they have their own infrastructure. The only have an agreement with Orange for 2G sharing, but to be honest, I haven't found a place where I don't get 3G coverage.

I agree with you though, it should be done One thing I do lament is that Three's masts seem to have a lower output transmitter power - not sure why.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:34 AM   #17
monty77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Tripe

They turned it off where they considered the 3G coverage to be acceptable (I know cell engineers at H3G and used to work in the industry myself), I still get 2G fallback pretty frequently when I'm visiting places. And how do you know those places aren't Orange blackspots too? Sadly there are plenty of places where there's still no signal on any network.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2k7 View Post
Nope, Three are not an MVNO, as you said, they have their own infrastructure. The only have an agreement with Orange for 2G sharing, but to be honest, I haven't found a place where I don't get 3G coverage.

I agree with you though, it should be done One thing I do lament is that Three's masts seem to have a lower output transmitter power - not sure why.
Other big networks have always campaigned to keep H3G down so I'm sure that's a part of it.. I'm a big fan myself apart from the daily sales calls and call centre staff sometimes :-)

Their coverage is pretty good IMO but not the best .. but the overall package more than makes up for it.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:36 AM   #18
ct2k7
macrumors 603

Quote:
They turned it off where they considered the 3G coverage to be acceptable (I know cell engineers at H3G and used to work in the industry myself), I still get 2G fallback pretty frequently when I'm visiting places. And how do you know those places aren't Orange blackspots too? Sadly there are plenty of places where there's still no signal on any network.

----------

Other big networks have always campaigned to keep H3G down so I'm sure that's a part of it.. I'm a big fan myself apart from the daily sales calls and call centre staff sometimes :-)

Their coverage is pretty good IMO but not the best .. but the overall package more than makes up for it.
I wonder why they've campaigned to keep it down

Orange doesn't have the best coverage either - what I do note is that I know exactly where the nearest masts are, about 400m away from me: and it's got Three, Vodafone, Orange, O2 all stuck together.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:37 AM   #19
Pennine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Tripe

Thanks for confirming my previous post.
If you have an iPhone on the Three network try turning of your 3G ( in settings ) or mobile Internet/Data toggle.
See what happens?

----------

Quote:

M
If you have an iPhone on the Three network try turning of your 3G ( in settings ) or mobile Internet/Data toggle.
See what happens?
Shuffle
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:39 AM   #20
jordanogrady
macrumors 6502

I'm debating the big change over to three...

I'm up in Doncaster, but have the worry about all this "no 3G, no signal at all" issue. Is this actually true? What is the signal like anyway, because if its good, then there shouldn't be a problem anyway?

I think in going to need unlimited data!

So debating 3's 12.90 plan, or T mobile 21 plan for unlimited?? Any advice?
jordanogrady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:41 AM   #21
monty77
macrumors 6502

This is what I see when I switch off 3G .. look, it fell back to a 2G network that they do not have ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	361598  
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:42 AM   #22
ct2k7
macrumors 603

Quote:
Thanks for confirming my previous post.
See what happens?

----------

See what happens?
In my area, it doesn't fall back to GRPS/2G - Orange doesn't provide that here.

O2: UTMS-2100Mhz + GSM-800Mhz
Vodafone: GSM-900Mhz + UTMS-1800Mhz + GSM-2100Mhz
3: UTMS-1800Mhz
Orange: GSM-1800Mhz
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:43 AM   #23
monty77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanogrady View Post

I'm up in Doncaster, but have the worry about all this "no 3G, no signal at all" issue. Is this actually true? What is the signal like anyway, because if its good, then there shouldn't be a problem anyway?

Get a PAYG SIM and try it .. only way I'm afraid, you cannot believe any coverage maps. According to them my village has very patchy coverage but I get great signal and speeds.

M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	361599  
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:44 AM   #24
Pennine
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanogrady View Post

Depends on your circumstances really. If Three have a good 3G signal in Doncaster and you live in the town and work in the town and don't really go anywhere else, say on business etc. You would be okay on Three. They certainly have the best prices!
Shuffle
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:44 AM   #25
bollyboy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrideout View Post

I'm with Orange who are much slower at around 6Mbps down and 2Mbps up, I am now wondering if i will need 4G though as I find the above more than enough for browsing, Facebook and the usual Twitter stuff.

If more or less the same price I would go with 4G once EE switch on, but if much more expensive I would just leave it I think as EE from what I gather require you to start the contract again.
bollyboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone