Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1
VickiFoster
macrumors newbie

New update crashed my phone, stuck in recovery mode

Hi everyone,

Just tried to update to IOS 6 (i have 4s) and the itunes download said 9 hours so i as it was downloading i decided to see if i could update it via my phone and after clicking install it said 'veriying data' but it hung so i turned it off.

Itunes then came up saying it had detected an iphone in recovery mode and my phone then came up with the usb cable pic, plus arrow to itunes.

I've tried to restore but nothing is happening. It said something like it would have to download the update before restoring the phone, so i started the update again but then it crashed and said i needed to restore the phone first.

Itunes is now not recognising my iphone, it just says 'iphone'.

I can't use it all, can't call it etc.

Please, please, please can someone help, I've looked all over the internet but I can't seem to fix it!

Thanks in advance,

Vicki
VickiFoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:53 AM   #2
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiFoster View Post
Hi everyone,

Just tried to update to IOS 6 (i have 4s) and the itunes download said 9 hours so i as it was downloading i decided to see if i could update it via my phone and after clicking install it said 'veriying data' but it hung so i turned it off.

Itunes then came up saying it had detected an iphone in recovery mode and my phone then came up with the usb cable pic, plus arrow to itunes.

I've tried to restore but nothing is happening. It said something like it would have to download the update before restoring the phone, so i started the update again but then it crashed and said i needed to restore the phone first.

Itunes is now not recognising my iphone, it just says 'iphone'.

I can't use it all, can't call it etc.

Please, please, please can someone help, I've looked all over the internet but I can't seem to fix it!

Thanks in advance,

Vicki
have you tried to to restore phone from back up?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:39 PM   #3
VickiFoster
macrumors newbie

I've clicked 'restore' on itunes and it said it would restore and update.

It's currently downloading the update, has been for 3 hours now and still says 10 hours left! I've tried everything in the meantime but nothing has worked.

I've even downloaded Tiny Umbrella but the app doesn't want to work on my laptop (i have version 10.5.8 and think i need 10.6 and later).

I've just turned my phone off for now :-(

Thanks,

Vicki
VickiFoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
chrisu91
macrumors regular

Well you can't restore it without the update so you have to wait for that to finish.
chrisu91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:41 PM   #5
cedunn21
macrumors newbie

My cousin is having this exact problem with an iPhone 4S. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated!!!
cedunn21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:06 PM   #6
bitten apple
macrumors newbie

Oh Yeah!

I just did the update thing, let it do its thing and went back to it and found the chord arrow iTunes on the screen. Telling me the same thing, restore erase all and redo phone.

This is stupid!

I am guessing i will lose all my apps and photos on the phone. It will be frigging annoying to install all these apps again, not to mention the loss of pictures
bitten apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:59 AM   #7
acarney
macrumors 6502

To the OP, let it download when you click restore. It's about a 900mb file so it'll take some time to download. To everyone else, EMAIL macrumors this as a tip, people need to be at least warned and reminded on the front page. This might only be like a 1% problem but its affected too many so far to just be user error each time. I emailed my tip last night and its still not even a page 2 warning :-/
acarney is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6