Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPodTouch4Life

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Does anyone know or have heard any rumors according to when the new iPod will be sold in stores?

FutureBlake

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
New York, NY
October. According to Play.com it is due for release on the 15th.

Isn't it odd that there's no 'confirmed' ship date yet? I know the headlines are all about iPhone 5 right now, but I'd assume that the number of iPod Touch orders would also be somewhat impressive/newsworthy. Is that Play.com link the only time we've seen an actual date (other than just 'sometime in October')? The fact that it's the 15th could mean that Play.com is guessing the exact middle of the month as an estimate. I wish we'd get a confirmed date for the pre-order crowd.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
I know! I've pre-ordered a white/silver iPod touch and I think Apple could be a bit nicer by perhaps giving a more accurate date for when it should arrive. "October" could be any time from the 1st to the 31st, and that is a huge gap.

Either Play.com are actually shipping their iPod touchs on the 15th or they are guessing and just going for the middle of the month.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I know! I've pre-ordered a white/silver iPod touch and I think Apple could be a bit nicer by perhaps giving a more accurate date for when it should arrive. "October" could be any time from the 1st to the 31st, and that is a huge gap.

Either Play.com are actually shipping their iPod touchs on the 15th or they are guessing and just going for the middle of the month.

most probably guessing I would say....my guess is that it is coming out somewhere along the 3rd/4th week of the month...this is because the newest iTunes update that was released a couple of weeks ago (10.7) doesn't add support for the 5th gen iPod Touch. I am guessing that iTunes 11 (due in late October) will add this support. If this is the case, then that means that the newest iPod Touches won't ship until that same time. If it was released earlier, then how will people sync/manage their content through iTunes since iTunes doesn't have support for the newest variation of the iPod Touches?

IMHO....

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
most probably guessing I would say....my guess is that it is coming out somewhere along the 3rd/4th week of the month...this is because the newest iTunes update that was released a couple of weeks ago (10.7) doesn't add support for the 5th gen iPod Touch. I am guessing that iTunes 11 (due in late October) will add this support. If this is the case, then that means that the newest iPod Touches won't ship until that same time. If it was released earlier, then how will people sync/manage their content through iTunes since iTunes doesn't have support for the newest variation of the iPod Touches?

IMHO....
Or they could just release a 10.8 version to do just that. I don't want to believe we have to wait till the end of October.

PocketGoddess

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012

IMHO....

Well, there is always iCloud. . . I haven't synced to iTunes in forever, which I learned today is a big mistake. My iCloud backup is less than 1GB but for some reason simply will NOT restore on my 4th Gen iPod Touch (which I reset because my music went missing after the iOS6 upgrade). I've been banging my head against the wall all day long.

I guess I should be thankful I'll have everything cleaned out before my 5th Gen arrives, since it's looking more and more likely that I'll just have to start over from scratch.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Well, there is always iCloud. . . I haven't synced to iTunes in forever, which I learned today is a big mistake. My iCloud backup is less than 1GB but for some reason simply will NOT restore on my 4th Gen iPod Touch (which I reset because my music went missing after the iOS6 upgrade). I've been banging my head against the wall all day long.

I guess I should be thankful I'll have everything cleaned out before my 5th Gen arrives, since it's looking more and more likely that I'll just have to start over from scratch.

this is just one reason why one shouldn't solely rely on the cloud for their backups...at least not yet.....I still think we are 5-10 years away from actually relying on the cloud to store our data...we are still at the infancy stage in all this...

PocketGoddess

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
this is just one reason why one shouldn't solely rely on the cloud for their backups...at least not yet.....I still think we are 5-10 years away from actually relying on the cloud to store our data...we are still at the infancy stage in all this...

Agreed, in part--there's nothing that I can't fully reconstruct--and all of my personal data like calendar, contacts, etc. are with Google anyway. So while I technically haven't lost a thing, it's just a frustrating hassle.

I'm plenty paranoid where it matters--with the external hard drive(s) and two 64GB thumb drives to prove it--plus Dropbox, etc. so I don't think I'll ever actually lose anything important. :)

FutureBlake

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
New York, NY

IMHO....

Nice insight - I hadn't heard that 10.7 didn't have support for the 5th gen iPT. That's a bummer. I would have thought that the iPod Touch would come out close to the iPhone 5 to prevent erosion of sales of a (yet to be announced) iPad mini. They may have very similar price points and I feel like I'd be 50/50 for one or the other.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
actually, I checked couple of web shopping mall in Korea. they all said 'the second week of October'. so resellers will start to sell it at that time. but for apple store, it will be one week early.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Huge gap indeed! Try microsoft surface no release date, no price no nada! Or even the new nokia lumia phone!

I rather have a release date such as a month compare to forget about it for months even years!

I'm still waiting on HP desktop running on webos and it has been forever! Oh wait a minute. Nvm! :rolleyes:

Kirk

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
Another reason for Apple to have a preorder period is probably to see how many to produce and ship of each color.

Guess they have plenty of data by now, so let the shipping begin!

verybadgnome

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Just had a chat with a macmall rep and they said:

"There currently not available the estimated stock date 10/19/2012."

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
If the 5th Gen Touch is using the same screen as the iPhone 5, then it makes sense that its being held back for launch. The iPhone has been rumored to be slow to production because Sharp is behind in producing the new screen. If this is the case, then I guess those who pre ordered may be waiting for a while. If the rumors of the iPad mini are real, then I may wait and see what the price point is between the mini and ipod touch. My guess is the iPad mini will not have as much standard memory as the entry level touch but who knows.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Tim Cook - a hint at iPod Touch Release date?

if the highlighted portion of Tim Cook's letter doesn't spell it out, then I don't know what does....

I am expecting 2nd/3rd week from his letter....

what do you guys think?

Attachments

• tim cook letter.JPG
    tim cook letter.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 598

Scdon

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
iPod touch 5g

Just preordered one from Best Buy and they told me 11/04/12

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

IMHO....

As reported by StiligFox in another thread:

See the System Requirements when you scroll down here:
http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html
The fifth gen apparently is fine with the current iTunes version.

gpshiker

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
iPod Touch 5G charged

My credit card got charged today. Does it mean it's ready to ship?

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
My credit card got charged today. Does it mean it's ready to ship?

obviously...unless you got scammed...i just don't see why they wouldn't charge it without shipping it....i read on the tracking part apple's website that when the shipment moves from processing to shipping, that is when your credit card gets charged

trundley

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
No, i think the way it works is they kind of ready the money for removal from you account but it is blocked until they ship it, then the cash is actually taken. I went to a ATM and get a receipt and it told me my account balance and my available balance. The available balance was less than the account balance because of the iPod preorder and other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.