Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:58 AM   #1
ZBoater
macrumors 603

iPhone 5 charger same as 4S?

I bought two of the new 5W chargers from the Apple store, and they looks suspiciously IDENTICAL to the old 4s chargers. The store seems to make a distinction between the old charger and this new one, but the one that came in the box with the 5 is also IDENTICAL to the old 4s charger.

Can anyone please educate me on what the difference is? I am inclined to send the two I got back. @ $19 each I can buy something else....
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:02 PM   #2
SDub90
macrumors 6502a

I'd imagine the USB power adapter is the same, since it's just a USB interface. It's the cable that changed.
SDub90 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Mercenary
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
I bought two of the new 5W chargers from the Apple store, and they looks suspiciously IDENTICAL to the old 4s chargers. The store seems to make a distinction between the old charger and this new one, but the one that came in the box with the 5 is also IDENTICAL to the old 4s charger.

Can anyone please educate me on what the difference is? I am inclined to send the two I got back. @ $19 each I can buy something else....
No different apart from the part number and a few internal tweaks. They output the same 5v 1a and charge at the same speed as the old charger and iPad charger.
Mercenary is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Ratz. Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:32 PM   #5
mackmgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
No different apart from the part number and a few internal tweaks. They output the same 5v 1a and charge at the same speed as the old charger and iPad charger.
That and one comes with a 30-pin adapter.
mackmgg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Hankster
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I'm not sure but you are very confused. The previous iPhone charger has a 30 pin plug that goes into the iPhone (or iPad). The new iPhone 5 charger does NOT have a 30 pin plug, it has a new much smaller plug that's at least 75% smaller.

This is the NEW IPHONE 5 CHARAGER

Notice the smaller head? If what you purchased at the Apple store was only $19, then you did not buy an iPhone 5 charger.

iMac - MacBook Air - iPhone - iPad - Shuffle - Nikon
Hankster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:41 PM   #7
flipshot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
I'm not sure but you are very confused. The previous iPhone charger has a 30 pin plug that goes into the iPhone (or iPad). The new iPhone 5 charger does NOT have a 30 pin plug, it has a new much smaller plug that's at least 75% smaller.

Notice the smaller head? If what you purchased at the Apple store was only $19, then you did not buy an iPhone 5 charger.
Thats a cable not a charger. The charger goes into the mains and then the cable plugs into the charger. The charger itself has not changed, only the cable that plugs into the charger.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:42 PM   #8
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post

The OP is taking about the wall socket adapter, not the cable.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:49 PM   #9
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
The OP is taking about the wall socket adapter, not the cable.
Correct.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:24 PM   #10
maka344
macrumors member

My 4s wall charger didn't work with my iphone 5, I had to go open the new one before it would charge
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:32 PM   #11
rick98761
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maka344 View Post
My 4s wall charger didn't work with my iphone 5, I had to go open the new one before it would charge
I had the same issue. My wife's 4s charger when used with my 5 activates charging icon on the phone but it never goes up. Eventually it just decides it isn't charging and the icon goes away. Very weird. Works fine with my kindle wall plug though :-)
rick98761 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That's bizarre. My 4S charger (or my wife's 4 charger...not sure which it was) worked fine with the lightning cord. As did my third party plug to USB adapter. I went to the Apple Store yesterday and got 4 lightning cables...one for my computer at work, one for my computer at home, one for the bedside table, and one for my car (to plug into a light socket USB adapter). Cheaper than buying a new dedicated car charger, and I can get it now. The one that came with it is on my lower floor plugged in behind the table where we keep all our daily items (wallets, phones, mail, etc.)
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Daz-o-matic
macrumors newbie

I'm looking at my 3GS and 5 wall warts side by side, and the only difference I can see are the serial numbers. Both are part #A1265.

So far I've only been charging my phone from my Macbook, but I just tried my old adapter and it seems to charge fine (indicator shows charge, and the battery percentage goes up).
Daz-o-matic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #14
ZBoater
macrumors 603

My 4s charger worked fine.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:26 PM   #15
drbf
macrumors member

tried three of my 4S chargers and all worked fine with the new lightning-usb
cable
drbf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:46 PM   #16
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDub90 View Post
I'd imagine the USB power adapter is the same, since it's just a USB interface. It's the cable that changed.
Correct. Send 'em back, and use whatever you have lying around. I use a generic car charger, an iPhone charger, and a mouse charger (meant for a Micro-USB cable) on a regular basis, and they all work fine.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:13 PM   #17
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Went to the Apple store and they had lightning cables in stock, so I traded the two USB wall chargers for two lightning cables and I'm all set. I'll use the old 4s chargers and other iPhone chargers I have lying around. But I also have an iPad so now I have two types of cables and chargers. Yuck!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:11 PM   #18
Kirch
macrumors newbie

I purchased a bunch of iphone 5 lightning cables and they WILL NOT WORK in the wall plugs that came with my Iphone 4. they do acknowledge the phone but it never charges. However, above some people are stating the iphone 5 cable plugged into ANY ipod, iphone, etc wall adapter will charge their iphone 5. not the case for me.

can someone please explain more. seems to me that the wall adapter that came with my iphone 5 is def. different as it's the ONLY wall adapter that will charge my phone.
Kirch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:11 PM   #19
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
that's too bad...my charger from my iPhone 4 works fine
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:27 PM   #20
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Went to the Apple store and they had lightning cables in stock, so I traded the two USB wall chargers for two lightning cables and I'm all set. I'll use the old 4s chargers and other iPhone chargers I have lying around. But I also have an iPad so now I have two types of cables and chargers. Yuck!
You could always just use the iPad charger for the iPhone as well as the iPad, as it'll work just the same (the iphone charger would be a lot slower with the ipad so I advice against it)
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:35 PM   #21
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
can someone please explain more. seems to me that the wall adapter that came with my iphone 5 is def. different as it's the ONLY wall adapter that will charge my phone.
Have you verified that your charger that came with the 4 is working properly?
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone