Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
As of 8:30pm EST 9/23/12 people have saved $1,398 from the information in this thread. Want to help as many people as possible.

You can do it through their live chat. I just contacted them and they refunded both $36 upgrade fees. Technically they credited my account for that amount.

Its quick and easy and can save you some money.

http://www.att.com/esupport/main.jsp?cv=820

Live chat is on the right side of the screen, sign in and click billing and payment support.

All I said was:

"Good morning. I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account."

(When I wrote it to them it was plural as I was doing two fees and two contract extensions)

Last edited by a moderator:

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I called in about my frustrations with the activation process (They Deactivated my old phone, and didn't activate my new phone leaving me to have to use my neighbors phone.) I got a bit chippy because this is the third iPhone upgrade I have had butchered in three years. They waived it without me even asking, that must be their "go to" make people happy fee to waive. I feel bad for the guy he seemed to have no idea what was going on, must have been a long day. Anyways, yeah, it seems to be pretty easy to be waived, it shouldn't exist in the first place. The logic of paying $36 for the privilege of being locked in to another 2 year contract is beyond me. I wouldn't accept no for an answer, and just tell them right away "I think this fee is stupid, I expect it to be waived."

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I called in about my frustrations with the activation process (They Deactivated my old phone, and didn't activate my new phone leaving me to have to use my neighbors phone.) I got a bit chippy because this is the third iPhone upgrade I have had butchered in three years. They waived it without me even asking, that must be their "go to" make people happy fee to waive. I feel bad for the guy he seemed to have no idea what was going on, must have been a long day. Anyways, yeah, it seems to be pretty easy to be waived, it shouldn't exist in the first place. The logic of paying $36 for the privilege of being locked in to another 2 year contract is beyond me. I wouldn't accept no for an answer, and just tell them right away "I think this fee is stupid, I expect it to be waived."

I agree. Its a money grab and nothing more. There is no justification for a $36 dollar fee. Its a chance to make another $36 per customer in pure profit. There is no value added from that $36. I'm already committing my business there for two more years, that's what they get from it.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
I agree. Its a money grab and nothing more. There is no justification for a $36 dollar fee. Its a chance to make another $36 per customer in pure profit. There is no value added from that $36. I'm already committing my business there for two more years, that's what they get from it.

i upgraded two lines, and the rep said she can only credit one line. what should i say?

Robb.

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Your upgrade fees generally help pay the employee's commission, etc.. I agree, it does seem pointless for those that complete the upgrade on their own.

I too had my fee waived via this thread. I just asked them to, no threatening, literally opened with "I'd like to chat today about having the upgrade fees waived from my lines for my recent upgrade."

The rep credited one account, and I asked her about the other. She noted that she didn't notice that I had two lines and then immediately waived the other line as well.

megsalias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
I just had a live chat with them. I paid $250 each on two lines for an early upgrade and then the two $36 fees. I told them that I had heard of people having fees waived, so I thought I would look I into it. I had $241.86 credited to my account with no questions asked...WAY more than I was expecting. I was just nice about it an honest about what I wanted.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
no dice for me

I would definitely try again with a different rep.

----------

I just had a live chat with them. I paid $250 each on two lines for an early upgrade and then the two $36 fees. I told them that I had heard of people having fees waived, so I thought I would look I into it. I had $241.86 credited to my account with no questions asked...WAY more than I was expecting. I was just nice about it an honest about what I wanted.

Wow so you got your early upgrade payment back? Amazing.

I did start this thread so lets talk about a finders fee... ;)

Reactions: blackjackmark

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
My rep has credited my account, but noted that 'this is a one time courtesy...we will not be waiving this fee in the future.' They waived the $18 fee for me last year as well, but I did that over the phone.

Well, better now than never, right?

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
If this thread helps you please post to confirm so that it gets bumped and allows someone else to see it and get some money back too!

----------

My rep has credited my account, but noted that 'this is a one time courtesy...we will not be waiving this fee in the future.' They waived the $18 fee for me last year as well, but I did that over the phone.

Well, better now than never, right?

I think they will always say its a one time thing. I don't think that will stop you from doing it next time.

megsalias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
[/COLOR]

Wow so you got your early upgrade payment back? Amazing.

I did start this thread so lets talk about a finders fee... ;)

Technically it was two lines so it was $500 in early upgrade fees, so I got a portion back. I'm certainly not complaining though. I wasn't sure I would get anything back, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Finder's fee? Started what thread? There's a thread? I don understand. Haha. :p

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Technically it was two lines so it was $500 in early upgrade fees, so I got a portion back. I'm certainly not complaining though. I wasn't sure I would get anything back, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Finder's fee? Started what thread? There's a thread? I don understand. Haha. :p

Hey, that's fantastic still. You basically just made almost $250. That's awesome.

VivaLaFisica

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
My account wasn't credited for $36, but instead the lady removed the charge of $36 that would have been on my next bill. Works for me.

eimeria

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
I also had my fees upgraded. I just asked nicely. I almost used the OP's text verbatim on the online chat. Took less than 5 minutes.

megsalias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
Does the upgrade fee apply if you ordered through the Apple.com website? I never saw any mention of an upgrade fee during the purchase process.

As far as I know, it applies on the bill no matter where you make the purchase. I bought the iPhone 4 at Best Buy a couple of years ago, and the fees were still applied then.

Resante

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Just got a guy who tried to play hardball, but in the end waived my 2 upgrade fees. Amazing what happens when you hint at porting out.

Iphoneness

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
The lady I got tried to get around it at first by explaining to me what the upgrade fee is for and quickly saying their line about is there anything I can help you with, have a nice day.

I then went on to tell her that I've never used any of the services(assistance activating new phones and returning devices and such) she just explained and she then said, "I see you're a long time customer with us. Let me waive that fee for you."

drka0tic

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
NYC
You guys chatted today? The site shows me that live chat is unavailable in the billing/support area. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.