Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sixpack446

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Youtube is painfully slow for me on my iphone 5 using wifi. It doesn't seem to buffer and videos are constantly freezing on me. When I run a speedtest I am getting 30 download and 3 up, so it is not my Internet. I played the same video on my iphone 4 side by side with my 5 and the iPhone 4 loads perfectly, while the iPhone 5 just sits there. The weird thing is that I can go to any other video streaming site and my iphone 5 will load the videos extremely fast. It's the same results using the youtube app and using safari.

Can anyone else confirm this on their iphone 5?

Sixpack446

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
96 views and not one reply. All I want to know is if anyone else is experiencing problems with youtube on iPhone 5. A simple yes or no reply will do.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
No, it loaded the entire video faster than my 4S. May be the processing power, or the fact that it's on 5GHz band.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Yes.

I have had this problem today (not tried it before today).

Video buffers incredibly slowly on both the YouTube App and the YouTube mobile web site.

I found the video (3:20 long) I wanted on a different site and it buffered in about 4 seconds.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Working fine for me. I just wish they'd update the official app to support the larger display.

Sixpack446

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Thank you for the replies. My iphone 4 is still blowing the doors off my iphone 5 on youtube. I'm starting to get really frustrated.

Sixpack446

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I just tested it on AT&T lte network and it loaded extremely fast. I tried again on wifi and it was very slow. I ran a speedtest on my wifi and it was fine. This is really annoying.

I

iFanboy

96 views and not one reply. All I want to know is if anyone else is experiencing problems with youtube on iPhone 5. A simple yes or no reply will do.

The view count is generated by unregistered users browsing the forum also.

At one stage today there were almost 7000 people looking at the iPhone form alone. There weren't 7000 users logged in and browsing. Some threads received 500 views before a logged in user even saw it.

Pipe down.

Dennis187

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
below you
I was and still am going to say that it's because of Apple and Google's relationship, haha, but some of the above responses wouldn't justify this post.

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
YouTube was CRAWLING last night on Wifi. I paused my video and ran a speed test: 20 down 5 up. I'm guessing it could have been youtube's servers I doubt it's iOS related.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Yesterday I looked up a music video on Safari. It linked to a YouTube video and played exactly as expected (within Safari), perfect. I then downloaded the YouTube app from the app store. I searched for the same video and the dang thing was very slow and kept locking up:mad:. Same thing happened today so I deleted the app and went back to Safari. All is well again:). No difference between WiFi and LTE when using the new YouTube app. Both locked up.

Sixpack446

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
The view count is generated by unregistered users browsing the forum also.

At one stage today there were almost 7000 people looking at the iPhone form alone. There weren't 7000 users logged in and browsing. Some threads received 500 views before a logged in user even saw it.

Pipe down.

Oh shut up. It's not like I was rude about it.

----------

Are you using the new YouTube apparently or the YouTube site?

I've tried on both the new app and the website on safari. All other video stream sites load videos perfectly except for youtube.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
There have been widespread reports of slow WiFi on the iPhone 5. This may not be a YouTube problem but a general wifi issue with the phone.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
There have been widespread reports of slow WiFi on the iPhone 5. This may not be a YouTube problem but a general wifi issue with the phone.

I've been using my WiFi for the better part of 3 days with absolutely no slow down. The speed test showed the full 15 Mbits download speed which is what I have at home. The only problem was with the new YouTube app from the app store, both on WiFi and LTE. My problem was with the app because all worked fine through Safari. Can't say for other folks. And, no problem at Starbucks,

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
In my case, I don't think that's the problem.

Videos load ok from other sites and other usage of Wi-Fi seems fine.

It could of been a temporary Youtube issue. One of the posts mentioned it worked better on LTE which isn't surprising giving the current issues with WiFi. I'm sure there are several issues here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.