Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Does anyone else have this problem? I've surfed the web for about 20 minutes total over the past 2 days yet my iPhone says I've used 350mb! Even on wifi! However Verizon says I've only used 170. My sister has had the 4s for the same amount of time as I had the 5 and she only used 40mb!

Can anyone shed some light on this?

MedicBMC

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2011
So. Cal
That's weird not me.....I've been at home since I got it Friday night and I've been hooked up to Wifi the whole time. I just checked right now and I've used .011mb.

hippyharry

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
Not signed in for a long time, but had to for this.

My cellular data usage has been 456mb received and 54mb sent since I got my i5 on launch day.

Very confused but also seeing a few tweets on my timeline from people saying their usage has been high. Im with Giffgaff (network in the UK) and my allowance is unlimited so I've not been too concerned, but Ill keep an eye on it and try and work out when its happening, maybe during the night.

FlashFlux

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
It shows different Data Amounts on your IPHONE.. if you log in or call your carrier and ask them your usage, it's usually over half of what it says on your Iphone.

My Iphone 5 said I used 1gb but when I looked on Verizon website I had only used 200mb, but I was doing a ton of speed tests (I'm unlimited though)

hippyharry

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
It's a known bug. The iPhone is counting WiFi data too.

I dont think it is. I've reset mine and left it connected to wifi and just tried loading up a lot of apps, pulling data down from servers, but this data isnt being added to the data usage.

Edit:

Actually, leaving on wifi, it still pulling in cellular data. Minimal, but pulled in 30kb in the last 10 minutes. Hardly 500mb, but still interesting.

Last edited:

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Does anyone else have this problem? I've surfed the web for about 20 minutes total over the past 2 days yet my iPhone says I've used 350mb! Even on wifi! However Verizon says I've only used 170. My sister has had the 4s for the same amount of time as I had the 5 and she only used 40mb!

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I think I am having similar issues. I have barely used mine in the last two days, and up to 300mb already... not sure if it is pulling WiFi data or not.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I think I am having similar issues. I have barely used mine in the last two days, and up to 300mb already... not sure if it is pulling WiFi data or not.

Exactly! I have no clue wether or not the phone is actually pulling data from wifi or not!?

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah it seems that I just need to go by what verizon is counting, since the iPhone reads the wifi as cellular oddly. I just want to make sure my phone is actually connected to wifi, and not just saying it is and running up my data!

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
On at&t's site, mine isn't showing anything. It always does this crap when i get a new phone or change a feature, until the next billing cycle.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I honestly don't feel like I've been using that much data, but both my iPhone and myAT&T say that I've used 350mb. The billing cycle has 7 days left, so hopefully I won't go over this month (2gb). With my 3GS, I was using <500mb every month, usually <150mb every month.

I think I found the culprit. At the time recorded, I was updating my apps and my wifi network wasn't working correctly.

ScreenShot2012-09-23at55411PM_zpsaea74f97.jpg

Last edited:

mickryebee

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Having the same issue. My Cellular Usage on my iPhone (in Settings) is showing 700 MB received since Friday (note that there is a discrepancy somewhere, because My Verizon reports that I currently have used 438 MB of data). I don't stream much video or any music. Mostly just check Facebook, Twitter, look at a couple of web pages. I DID run a SpeedTest 2-3 times on Saturday which accounts for a nice chunk of data on My Verizon, but the largest chunks from that date on the Verizon report show 4:27 AM. Is the timing on these reports off? I was definitely asleep at the time.

Also, at least once a day the My Verizon report shows a 10-30 MB usage and I can't figure out what this is. This occurrs even before I got my new iPhone 5. I'm definitely not downloading apps every day or streaming video/audio. Any idea what these could be? Is there an app that tells you which apps are using how much data?

I'm confused and really don't want to bust over my 2 GB limit on the first month off of unlimited data.

I remember checking my iPhone 4's Cellular Usage before I switched phones and I think I used 2 GB of data in like 6 months. What the hell is going on?!?!

mickryebee

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
I've also been watching my Celluar Data usage in Settings today at work. I do not have any sort of Wi-Fi here, strictly on LTE. So far, since about 8:30 AM, my Celluar Usage has gone from ~650 MB to 702 MB. All I have done is gone on Facebook and Twitter, and did a quick app search in the App Store to see if there were any data tracking apps (didn't download anything). How could I have used over 50 MB already today just from this? Absurd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.