Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kathyathy11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
United Kingdom
My 13" Macbook Pro has been acting up for a month or two now. It has episodes of being really slow, getting the rainbow spinning circle with everything, throwing me out of apps and can't even play a song on iTunes without freezing. (at worst, I counted it stopping the song 16 times in 3 minutes - then one time it froze for as long as 3 minutes).

I have tried everything I can think of, I have plenty memory (I only store music and photos on this computer), I have even reinstalled OS X and verified and repaired disks.

It even froze two seconds into startup as I was putting my password for my account to open the desktop.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My 13" Macbook Pro has been acting up for a month or two now. It has episodes of being really slow, getting the rainbow spinning circle with everything, throwing me out of apps and can't even play a song on iTunes without freezing. (at worst, I counted it stopping the song 16 times in 3 minutes - then one time it froze for as long as 3 minutes).

I have tried everything I can think of, I have plenty memory (I only store music and photos on this computer), I have even reinstalled OS X and verified and repaired disks.

It even froze two seconds into startup as I was putting my password for my account to open the desktop.

More information about your system would be helpful. Do you have any 3rd party upgrades? RAM? HDD?

Try running AHT:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Does your MBP have warranty? If so, just take it to Apple and have them fix it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I would monitor:

cpu load - freezes like that may indicate for whatever reason, the cpu is being maxed out.

Cpu and GPU's temperatures - System would automatically throttle down when temps get too hot.

Run diskutil to check for dying HD. A failing HD will ask the system to retry-and-retry-and-retry-and-retry. If this is indeed the suspect, reformat (not quick format) HD and reload OS. Also suspect loose/dirty HD cabling.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Nope it is exactly in the same condition as I bought it. I will run the hardware test now.

When running AHT, I'd suggest turning on the extended test and enabling looping. If it appears locked up during the memory test, it most likely isn't. Just leave it alone and check back later. The extended test can take a LONG time, I usually let it run overnight.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
I'm thinking this is either a RAM issue (causing beachballs) or a about to be dead HD.

Interesting to see what the hardware test reports.

kathyathy11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
United Kingdom
I would monitor:

cpu load - freezes like that may indicate for whatever reason, the cpu is being maxed out.

Cpu and GPU's temperatures - System would automatically throttle down when temps get too hot.

Run diskutil to check for dying HD. A failing HD will ask the system to retry-and-retry-and-retry-and-retry. If this is indeed the suspect, reformat (not quick format) HD and reload OS. Also suspect loose/dirty HD cabling.

Have checked all of these and all seems fine.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
This link may help you. Troubleshoot some of the suggestions and if everything fails follow the corresponding link for resetting the SMC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.