Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
prairiefire
macrumors member

iPhone 5 and Car Hook Ups

Is the new Lightning cable playing nice with car applications?

I'm wondering if it will work with my 2012 Lexus in the same manner that my iPhone 4 and older cable worked -- which was perfect.

Is there anything in the new cable that will change how the phone and car interact?

Thank you.

sjh

PS. anyone hooked up to a Lexus?
prairiefire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:52 PM   #2
frostbit3
macrumors member

A friend of mine connected his to my 2011 camaro and it worked perfectly. I was really worried it wasn't going to work but it does! You may just want to see if someone you know has a 5 and just connect it and see if it works
frostbit3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
PeterKG
macrumors regular

I have a 2012 Prius, with Entune. It works perfectly with the lightening cable through the USB port in the car. It charges, and also activates Entune on my car display through the app on my iPhone.

I am also able to charge the iPhone through the charger port with a USB connector. When I went to the Apple store yesterday, they happened to have cables in stock, so I picked up a second one to keep in my car.

The iPhone also works perfectly not connected by cable, but by BT. Even album cover art displays as it should. Pairing the phone and contacts was a breeze.

I would think Lexus should work similarly.
PeterKG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:04 PM   #4
prairiefire
macrumors member

Thanks For the Quick Replies

What concerned me was an article I read that BMW (and Mini) were not working with the new cable.

However, as best I can tell, BMW has a proprietary connection and does not use the Apple supplied cable to a USB input that Lexus uses.

Thanks, again.

sjh
prairiefire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:07 PM   #5
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbit3 View Post
A friend of mine connected his to my 2011 camaro and it worked perfectly. I was really worried it wasn't going to work but it does! You may just want to see if someone you know has a 5 and just connect it and see if it works
Does it charge in the Camaro? And plays music through the display unit, steering wheel controls and all?
DDustiNN is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone