Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
1pizza14
macrumors newbie

Is there any way to bypass activation on iPhone 5?

I ordered an iPhone 5 from Sprint but they forgot to ship a sim card with it. I want to at least play around with it so is there any way to bypass the activation?
1pizza14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pizza14 View Post
I ordered an iPhone 5 from Sprint but they forgot to ship a sim card with it. I want to at least play around with it so is there any way to bypass the activation?
There's no SIM card in the tray? They get put in at the factory.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:48 PM   #3
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pizza14 View Post
Sure? The SIM card should be in the phone when you get it.
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:49 PM   #4
1pizza14
macrumors newbie

There was no sim when I purchased the phone. Sprint is sending me another one at no cost.. but it will be around 3 weeks before i get it.
1pizza14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Go to a local sprint store or Apple store.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:56 PM   #6
msaftw
macrumors member

Apple Store does not carry ANY SIM card, only the Carrier stores do. Going in would be a lot quicker than getting them shipped, but I do not know if the nano SIMs are carried yet....because they come pre-loaded in the iPhones.
msaftw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:02 PM   #7
xDKP
macrumors member

Thumbs down

Is there really no way to activate the iPhone 5 without a sim card? I have bought a sim locked UK T-Mobile iPhone 5, and there is a delay on the unlock service - and I would like to use it in the meantime and play with it. I have a Danish sim, but it won't activate it for me.
xDKP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDKP View Post
Is there really no way to activate the iPhone 5 without a sim card? I have bought a sim locked UK T-Mobile iPhone 5, and there is a delay on the unlock service - and I would like to use it in the meantime and play with it. I have a Danish sim, but it won't activate it for me.
That is correct.
There is currently no way to activate an i5 without a valid sim.

Last edited by Applejuiced; Nov 1, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:19 PM   #9
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
That is correct.
There is currently no way to activate an i5 without a sim.
Or anything back to the 3GS for that matter. I haven't tested it with earlier models, but my 3GS I use as an iPod required a sim after restoring it. It had 5.0 on it, so this requirement either came with 5.1 or 6.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Or anything back to the 3GS for that matter. I haven't tested it with earlier models, but my 3GS I use as an iPod required a sim after restoring it. It had 5.0 on it, so this requirement either came with 5.1 or 6.
All stock iphones needed to be activated before it let you into the homescreen.
Before with JB options available you could hactivate and bypass that but currently there is no JB for the i5.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:24 PM   #11
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaftw View Post
Apple Store does not carry ANY SIM card, only the Carrier stores do. Going in would be a lot quicker than getting them shipped, but I do not know if the nano SIMs are carried yet....because they come pre-loaded in the iPhones.
This is %100 not true.

I got a replacement sim from Apple for verizon.

They dont sell them, but they do have them for replacements if there is an issue with the one you got.
BFizzzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
There's no SIM card in the tray? They get put in at the factory.
No they don't. The SIM comes along with the iPhone in a package from the carrier.
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:37 PM   #13
rd261
macrumors regular

I thought sprint didn't use a SIM card. I have an iPhone 5 from sprint and they just activated it. I know they all have one but I didn't know it was required to activate with sprint or Verizon for that matter.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd261 View Post
I thought sprint didn't use a SIM card. I have an iPhone 5 from sprint and they just activated it. I know they all have one but I didn't know it was required to activate with sprint or Verizon for that matter.
The iphone 5 will need a sim to connect to Sprints or Verizon LTE network.
Without the sim you will be stuck with CDMA 3G even in areas where you could get LTE.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:42 PM   #15
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
All stock iphones needed to be activated before it let you into the homescreen.
Before with JB options available you could hactivate and bypass that but currently there is no JB for the i5.
I'm almost positive my 3GS didn't have a sim in it when I installed 5.0 on it after erasing all content and settings. If it did have one in there, I wouldn't have had to get one from AT&T. Either way, it's easy to get one from your carrier for free.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:45 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
I'm almost positive my 3GS didn't have a sim in it when I installed 5.0 on it after erasing all content and settings. If it did have one in there, I wouldn't have had to get one from AT&T. Either way, it's easy to get one from your carrier for free.
You're not that positive The 3GS after a restore with 5.0 would need a sim to activate.
That's how the ios works, it doesnt just activate the phone with nothing there.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Troneas
macrumors 65816

you are better of going to the store and get it yourself mate.

i had a bad experience waiting for a sim to be shipped to my address - took too long and when i finally visited a store they had no record of my order.

if they have stock - which they usually do, you'll have your phone up and running in minutes.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:56 PM   #18
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You're not that positive The 3GS after a restore with 5.0 would need a sim to activate.
That's how the ios works, it doesnt just activate the phone with nothing there.
EDIT* It looks like you're right. I guess I just thought it didn't have a sim in it. Thanks for clearing it up.

Last edited by HazyCloud; Nov 1, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
HazyCloud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:34 PM   #19
msaftw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
This is %100 not true.

I got a replacement sim from Apple for verizon.

They dont sell them, but they do have them for replacements if there is an issue with the one you got.
Then Apple doesn't know what they're talking about or just like this whole forum; information varies. I went in to get a replacement SIM for a 4 and 4S at two different Apple Stores in Houston and they specifically told me they do not carry them as the SIMs are pre-loaded in the box, but I could get a new one from the kiosk right outside the Apple store.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:49 PM   #20
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaftw View Post
Then Apple doesn't know what they're talking about or just like this whole forum; information varies. I went in to get a replacement SIM for a 4 and 4S at two different Apple Stores in Houston and they specifically told me they do not carry them as the SIMs are pre-loaded in the box, but I could get a new one from the kiosk right outside the Apple store.
Lolol well I got a nano some for my verizon iphone 5.. As well as a micro that same day for the 4s. (i was swapping phones) You can't just go ask for one..they don't hand them out like business cards. Make an appointment or find a representative who's nice.
Read the verizon unlimited data swap thread. So many on there got their nano sims from apple. That's how I knew to get mine from them.

I love how you say apple (as a company) doesn't know what they are talking about because you couldn't walk in and get one/talked to a stupid csr
BFizzzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:15 PM   #21
xDKP
macrumors member

Quote:
That is correct.
There is currently no way to activate an i5 without a valid sim.
Terrible news... Really have to wait for the unlock to get back online (States "1-2 weeks" so fingers crossed)
xDKP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:44 PM   #22
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDKP View Post
Terrible news... Really have to wait for the unlock to get back online (States "1-2 weeks" so fingers crossed)
That sucks bro.
Hope they process it fast.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:53 PM   #23
1080p
In Time-Out

I have asked for an AT&T micro SIM at the Apple Store Scottsdale Quarter in AZ and the Genius Bar had plenty.
1080p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:46 PM   #24
Nepaiphoneuser
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
No they don't. The SIM comes along with the iPhone in a package from the carrier.
The iPhone from apple comes pre installed and my company ordered from both AT&T and Verizon and they were pre installed as well
Nepaiphoneuser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:26 PM   #25
msaftw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
Lolol well I got a nano some for my verizon iphone 5.. As well as a micro that same day for the 4s. (i was swapping phones) You can't just go ask for one..they don't hand them out like business cards. Make an appointment or find a representative who's nice.
Read the verizon unlimited data swap thread. So many on there got their nano sims from apple. That's how I knew to get mine from them.

I love how you say apple (as a company) doesn't know what they are talking about because you couldn't walk in and get one/talked to a stupid csr
Sorry thought you could read between the lines... The Apple Store employee***** doesn't know what she was talking about. By the way the CSR told me to get a new sim as she knew that was the issue and STILL didn't give me a new one, sorry I believed her.
msaftw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone