Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:41 PM   #51
blerns3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Coral Gables, FL
Is it possible to exchange a phone bought through AT&T bought 64gb for a 32/16gb at an Apple store? If so, would they refund your card or your credit your AT&T account?
__________________
13" Macbook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM
Gold 16 GB iPhone 5s
Black and Slate iPad mini 16 GB
blerns3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:04 PM   #52
samven582
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blerns3 View Post
Is it possible to exchange a phone bought through AT&T bought 64gb for a 32/16gb at an Apple store? If so, would they refund your card or your credit your AT&T account?
No
samven582 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:25 PM   #53
blerns3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Coral Gables, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven582 View Post
No
What about to AT&T when stock returns to normal?
__________________
13" Macbook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM
Gold 16 GB iPhone 5s
Black and Slate iPad mini 16 GB
blerns3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:10 PM   #54
Zeusus
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Well, let me recant my story (and get some advice)

I am on my 6th iPhone 5 (Black 32gb).

First: Home button stopped working, made appt at Apple they swapped it out (parts replacement) with no issue or questions asked.

Second: Camera lens was not sealed and dust was getting into the lens. Genius also said there was a loose screw rattling around (asked for a swap) genius gave it to me.

Third: Bright Green (I MEAN BRIGHT GREEN) stuck pixel in the middle of the display not to mention many scuffs. Genius replaced it for me.

Fourth: DOA at genius bar, the wifi wouldn't even turn on.

Fifth: Severe interlacing verticle lines on the display, enough that any grey that was displayed on the screen was noticeably flickering and causing me eyestrain. The genius tried to convince me that it was normal, said that this was the last replacement they could do for me. She even told me that the iPhone may not be for me...?!!?!

Six (current): The phone seems good, EXCEPT for a piece of dust in the display. Obviously it got in there during manufacturing. Essentially it looks like roughly 1.5 dead (black) pixels on the lower left hand of the display.

I don't know if it is worth going back again to test my luck on another swap (or if they will even swap it for me again).

I am starting to feel like I am looking for issues, and I am really not. The issues have all been valid, and I understand after 5 swaps them telling me that they wont do it again - but what would you all do if you were me? Live with the dust, or argue with them for a replacement...again....

Has anyone else ever done this many swaps?!

Last edited by Zeusus; Oct 12, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Zeusus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:49 PM   #55
Haricher
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Zeusus, I would return the phone for a full refund and wait a couple months. Use a throw-away dumb phone in the meantime. Go back in 8 weeks and buy a new one. They should have enough supply by then, and hopefully the quality control issues will be worked out by then.
Haricher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:51 PM   #56
Zeusus
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haricher View Post
Zeusus, I would return the phone for a full refund and wait a couple months. Use a throw-away dumb phone in the meantime. Go back in 8 weeks and buy a new one. They should have enough supply by then, and hopefully the quality control issues will be worked out by then.
I wish I could. I originally purchased at Best Buy and they will only refund before 14 days. I am now out of that period. I am thinking maybe holding onto it for a while and wait until they can just repair the screen and only the screen.
Zeusus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:53 PM   #57
samven582
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blerns3 View Post
What about to AT&T when stock returns to normal?
If you are still in your 30 days yes
samven582 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:42 AM   #58
Merkie
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusus View Post
Well, let me recant my story (and get some advice)

I am on my 6th iPhone 5 (Black 32gb).

First: Home button stopped working, made appt at Apple they swapped it out (parts replacement) with no issue or questions asked.

Second: Camera lens was not sealed and dust was getting into the lens. Genius also said there was a loose screw rattling around (asked for a swap) genius gave it to me.

Third: Bright Green (I MEAN BRIGHT GREEN) stuck pixel in the middle of the display not to mention many scuffs. Genius replaced it for me.

Fourth: DOA at genius bar, the wifi wouldn't even turn on.

Fifth: Severe interlacing verticle lines on the display, enough that any grey that was displayed on the screen was noticeably flickering and causing me eyestrain. The genius tried to convince me that it was normal, said that this was the last replacement they could do for me. She even told me that the iPhone may not be for me...?!!?!

Six (current): The phone seems good, EXCEPT for a piece of dust in the display. Obviously it got in there during manufacturing. Essentially it looks like roughly 1.5 dead (black) pixels on the lower left hand of the display.

I don't know if it is worth going back again to test my luck on another swap (or if they will even swap it for me again).

I am starting to feel like I am looking for issues, and I am really not. The issues have all been valid, and I understand after 5 swaps them telling me that they wont do it again - but what would you all do if you were me? Live with the dust, or argue with them for a replacement...again....

Has anyone else ever done this many swaps?!
Late reply, but swap it! Come on, 1.5 dead pixels is clearly a defect. You're out of luck and not notpicking at all. Dead pixels are unacceptable. Especially since there's nothing to argue, your phone is defective, anyone can see that. Remain in the store until you find one that's perfect.
Merkie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:06 AM   #59
frozzbite
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkie View Post
Remain in the store until you find one that's perfect.
What if there are cosmetic defects? Like minor ones
frozzbite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:14 AM   #60
Merkie
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozzbite View Post
What if there are cosmetic defects? Like minor ones
That's for each to decide for themselves.
Merkie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:15 AM   #61
megsalias
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
There is a nick on the top of my original phone. Apple tried to replace it twice - one by mail and once by me driving two hours to the nearest Apple store. Both replacement phones were way more messed up than the one I started with, so I still have my original. I had some issues with certain Apple reps giving me bad information along the way, so the last person who worked with me gave me another charger, cable, and headphones and then threw in an iPod touch (4th gen), since I drove two hours just to be disappointed. While I still don't like the nick on my phone, I think Apple has more than made up for it - very good customer service.
megsalias is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:30 AM   #62
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Hey guys I have a small stuck green pixel on my iPhone 5. I got it yesterday and set up an appointment today. Will they exchange it for a new one?
WhiteIphone5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:51 AM   #63
legreen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusus View Post
Well, let me recant my story (and get some advice)

I am on my 6th iPhone 5 (Black 32gb).

First: Home button stopped working, made appt at Apple they swapped it out (parts replacement) with no issue or questions asked.

Second: Camera lens was not sealed and dust was getting into the lens. Genius also said there was a loose screw rattling around (asked for a swap) genius gave it to me.

Third: Bright Green (I MEAN BRIGHT GREEN) stuck pixel in the middle of the display not to mention many scuffs. Genius replaced it for me.

Fourth: DOA at genius bar, the wifi wouldn't even turn on.

Fifth: Severe interlacing verticle lines on the display, enough that any grey that was displayed on the screen was noticeably flickering and causing me eyestrain. The genius tried to convince me that it was normal, said that this was the last replacement they could do for me. She even told me that the iPhone may not be for me...?!!?!

Six (current): The phone seems good, EXCEPT for a piece of dust in the display. Obviously it got in there during manufacturing. Essentially it looks like roughly 1.5 dead (black) pixels on the lower left hand of the display.

I don't know if it is worth going back again to test my luck on another swap (or if they will even swap it for me again).

I am starting to feel like I am looking for issues, and I am really not. The issues have all been valid, and I understand after 5 swaps them telling me that they wont do it again - but what would you all do if you were me? Live with the dust, or argue with them for a replacement...again....

Has anyone else ever done this many swaps?!
I'm in the UK waiting for handset number 4.

The first one wasn't sealed well, had dead pixels and a scratch. Number 2 the screen was coming away from the casing and it was split.

Number 3 arrived today with a nice dent.

Will see what 4 brings!
legreen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:01 PM   #64
acidrain79
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I got my 5 the day it come out. When I got home I realized there was a small dent on the bezel from the factory. Was perfect otherwise. But I'm a little OCD so I made an appt with the Apple store, brought it in and they switched it out. I then got another perfect iPhone 5, minus the dent!!!! Was easy as that. Couldn't be happier with my 5.

Last edited by acidrain79; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
acidrain79 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:02 PM   #65
caesarp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Replacment phone check out procedure?

Today, my replacement iPhone 5 is being delivered from Verizon (due to scuff/scratches on the first one).

I want to check out the body of the new phone for dings, the screen itself and how the software works on the new phone (apps open snappy etc.). Can I do that without first deactivating my current iphone 5?

In other words, can I use my iCloud backup to restore to the new phone before deactivating my current phone? I don't care about using the new phone with my cell phone number right away, I just want to check out the new phone (physically and how the software works on it), before deciding if I will keep the replacement. So I'm not looking to activate my cell # on the new phone yet, just want to check out apps, camera, screen, etc.

So can this be done, or do I have to totally deactivate my current phone before doing anything on the new phone?
caesarp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:28 PM   #66
ltb7
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
Today, my replacement iPhone 5 is being delivered from Verizon (due to scuff/scratches on the first one).

I want to check out the body of the new phone for dings, the screen itself and how the software works on the new phone (apps open snappy etc.). Can I do that without first deactivating my current iphone 5?

In other words, can I use my iCloud backup to restore to the new phone before deactivating my current phone? I don't care about using the new phone with my cell phone number right away, I just want to check out the new phone (physically and how the software works on it), before deciding if I will keep the replacement. So I'm not looking to activate my cell # on the new phone yet, just want to check out apps, camera, screen, etc.

So can this be done, or do I have to totally deactivate my current phone before doing anything on the new phone?
I believe you need to have a SIM card in the phone, if you try to set it up with a new SIM then you would then have to activate it - I would just use your current SIM....it's not a big deal to pop it out w/paper clip....you can easily switch back...you do not need to deactivate....before, you do anything. you can also just try pulling out SIM on new phone when it first arrives and see if that works to essentially try it out as an iPod touch

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
Hey guys I have a small stuck green pixel on my iPhone 5. I got it yesterday and set up an appointment today. Will they exchange it for a new one?
you are still with in your return period so you should be able to do an exchange - if you want a brand new one retail package you may have better luck calling apple ( apple customer service not AppleCare) as the store may give you a white box replacement - good luck!!
ltb7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:58 PM   #67
caesarp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltb7 View Post
I believe you need to have a SIM card in the phone, if you try to set it up with a new SIM then you would then have to activate it - I would just use your current SIM....it's not a big deal to pop it out w/paper clip....you can easily switch back...you do not need to deactivate....before, you do anything. you can also just try pulling out SIM on new phone when it first arrives and see if that works to essentially try it out as an iPod touch[COLOR="#808080"]
----------

Verizon phones come with a sim card. So I can pull out my current sim (existing phone) and put it in the new/replacement phone and restore from back-up to see how the new phone works? Then if I like the new phone, remove that (old) sim, put in the new/replacement phone sim (the one it came with) and activate the new phone? Or do I just use my old/current sim with the new phone (if I like it) and return the old phone with the new sim card? Confused on the sim card issue. Not sure what verizon will do or if the network will be confused if it sees my original/old sim card, in a new phone.

Isn't a sim card tied to a particular piece of hardware on activation, so you can't just pop it in another iphone 5 and use it on that one?

I assume if I return my old phone, Verizon will deactivate the old sim card, so I need to use the new sim, if I keep the new phone?

Last edited by caesarp; Oct 15, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
caesarp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:19 PM   #68
ltb7
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
----------

Verizon phones come with a sim card. So I can pull out my current sim (existing phone) and put it in the new/replacement phone and restore from back-up to see how the new phone works? Then if I like the new phone, remove that (old) sim, put in the new/replacement phone sim (the one it came with) and activate the new phone? Or do I just use my old/current sim with the new phone (if I like it) and return the old phone with the new sim card? Confused on the sim card issue. Not sure what verizon will do or if the network will be confused if it sees my original/old sim card, in a new phone.

Isn't a sim card tied to a particular piece of hardware on activation, so you can't just pop it in another iphone 5 and use it on that one?

I assume if I return my old phone, Verizon will deactivate the old sim card, so I need to use the new sim, if I keep the new phone?
you do not need the new sim that will come with the replacement - just in case you ever need one just keep the new sim in your iphone 5 box - you do not need to return the iphone with the sim card in it

don't worry about the new sim card - since you have already activated your nano sim card with your first iphone all you need is that sim card

in fact, a great feature of the verizon iPhone 5 is that is is not locked and if you travel abroad a lot, you could easily switch out pre paid sim cards thus not being charged insane amounts of money for international roaming or even in the US if you switch carriers you could just pop in a sim from a different carrier

when you get the replacement first remove the sim and put it in your iphone box so you do not get it confused with your current sim card - see if the replacement iphone will set up just by using your iCloud account like an ipod touch, if it will not set up then turn it off and put in your current sim card and either do a restore from back up or set up as new

if everything is great on the replacement and you want to return your first iphone 5 then first remove your iCloud and iTunes accounts settings by deleting your account from the iPhone (this is just to be double sure that your imessages get deleted) then in settings, general go to reset and click on erase all content and settings and it will delete your info from the phone
ltb7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:23 PM   #69
J.L.Photography
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida
i got a launch day iphone5 slate, had two tiny little strange dings on the exact same places on the sides, back side, on the bezel... tiny... but irritating after discovery... took me a week to find it.

finally made it into apple to see a genius, after greif of trying to accuse me of causing the damage, they finally asked where i bought it, my receipt, then finally said ill brb with a replacement...


it wouldnt have been the end of the world, and it did take me forever to go in but in the end, they replaced it for me..

was a great phone, just had two strange little nicks on the rear bezel, both in the middle of each side...
__________________
Mid2012 15" RMBP 2.3 i7, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD Mid2012 13" MBA 1.8 i5, 8gb RAM, 128gb SSD
iPad2-W AppleTV3
Samsung Galaxy S4
J.L.Photography is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:29 PM   #70
ltb7
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L.Photography View Post
i got a launch day iphone5 slate, had two tiny little strange dings on the exact same places on the sides, back side, on the bezel... tiny... but irritating after discovery... took me a week to find it.

finally made it into apple to see a genius, after greif of trying to accuse me of causing the damage, they finally asked where i bought it, my receipt, then finally said ill brb with a replacement...


it wouldnt have been the end of the world, and it did take me forever to go in but in the end, they replaced it for me..

was a great phone, just had two strange little nicks on the rear bezel, both in the middle of each side...
can't believe the genius gave you a hard time, which store did you go to? i'm in south florida too.....

glad they replaced it!
ltb7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:16 PM   #71
J.L.Photography
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida
Galleria in lauderdale.

They "suspected" it "could've been caused" by me, & not factory... Like a "who knows" scenario lol
J.L.Photography is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:36 PM   #72
Joe91
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
On my third phone (64GB Black).

First was chipped/scuffed out of the box, replaced at the Apple Store Canberra with no dramas.

Second started to develop an intermittent home button. Was ok to live with it at first, but it only got worse and more frustrating. Booked another appointment, Apple replaced the phone again. That was yesterday afternoon.
__________________
Retina 13" MBP || 2.6GHz i5 || 8GB || 256GB
iPhone 5 64GB
iPad 2 16GB 3G
Joe91 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:55 PM   #73
J.L.Photography
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida
I hear you.

And what's funny in regards to my story, I had mediocre battery life. This new one already seems stronger!

And I specifically asked "what if" and "if I need" a replacement for my replacement lol ...

They seem good about it.
J.L.Photography is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:21 PM   #74
caesarp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltb7 View Post

if everything is great on the replacement and you want to return your first iphone 5 then first remove your iCloud and iTunes accounts settings by deleting your account from the iPhone (this is just to be double sure that your imessages get deleted) then in settings, general go to reset and click on erase all content and settings and it will delete your info from the phone
How do you delete your iTunes account settings before erasing all content? I deleted icloud account. Don't see how to delete iTunes account?
caesarp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:37 PM   #75
themadrussian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
They just use ND model numbers to indicate that the phone did not come in retail packaging. The phones are all brand new. The ND models for CDMA (A1429) also can be locked to either Sprint or Verizon upon initial setup, which is interesting.

Last edited by themadrussian; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
themadrussian is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exchange/Replacement Question teamjaycub iPhone 19 May 22, 2014 08:05 AM
Apple iPhone 5 Replacement/Exchange kobe24izzy iPhone 6 Apr 13, 2013 11:25 AM
iPhone: Would Apple Stores Still Have Any non-6.1.3 iPhone 5 Exchange Units? Gathomblipoob Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Mar 22, 2013 11:46 PM
So I went to the Apple Store today to exchange my 16GB iPhone 5 for.... andyx3x iPhone 28 Dec 11, 2012 11:41 AM
Can i exchange iphone 5 at apple Tmurray315 iPhone 0 Sep 21, 2012 08:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC