Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:47 PM   #101
AJAAY
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by legreen View Post
If I'd spent 10 on a plastic phone I wouldn't accept a scratched one. And I didn't say flawless but I certainly don't want one with a massive scratch on it straight out of the box. There are less obvious places on the phone where a blemish as you put it wouldn't be in plain view all of the time. My iPad wasn't perfect but was acceptable to me. The iPhones haven't been acceptable. Two of the three handsets weren't scratched but had other faults.

If you're prepared to have a scratched up phone not of your doing then good for you but I am not so I shared my experience in this thread!
Sometimes in life, you have to deal with the cards you are dealt.

Some people are getting phones without any visible flaws out of the box (every phone has a flaw). And some, like you, get the ones with visible flaws. You are already on God knows replacement number whatever, and still not satsified. At this point, you won't be satisfied. You WILL find something wrong with every phone and have a reason to get another replacement. Eventually they will stop giving you replacments (which I hope they do). And just have you return the phone altogether.



This point now, you just need to suck it up and deal with it. Or return the phone and try again in a few months.
AJAAY is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:52 AM   #102
iBaloney
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
for those of you the recieved a whitebox replacement, did they come with that protective film on the front and back of the phone?
iBaloney is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:53 PM   #103
yateseyd1991
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
On my 4th iPhone 5 due to various issues, display assembly lifting, home button sticking out and several nicks. Had colour swap from black to white after 2nd iPhone, all replacements have been retail boxed due to being under the 14 day return period and purchased sim free from my local Apple store. 4th iPhone 5 seems good so far, week 41


iPhone 5 32GB White, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPod Video 5.5G 120GB, Shure SE425's
yateseyd1991 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:29 PM   #104
Altrouge
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Just went to Los Cerritos Apple Store to swap out my original 32gb Black iPhone 5 due to dead pixels.

Well, even though the genius guy said he can't see the dead pixel (I wonder why), he said he would replace it anyways because I had a problem with it.

Then, I went through 4 iPhone 5's in that "white box" because everything had scuff marks and scratches somewhere.

I was on my way to 5th, but then the genius guy said that manager won't allow it and I had to take one of those 4 or order a new one and wait few weeks.

So, I just took one with the least scratches and left.

I mean, I'm not that paranoid about this stuff so I guess I can live with few scratches, but this is pretty outrageous.

How can every single phone that I tried out had scratches?

Last edited by Altrouge; Oct 19, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Altrouge is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:39 PM   #105
Noisemaker
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Just because;

I received my iPhone 5 today. Flawless, out of the box. No scuffs, scratches, or dead pixels.

Suck it.
Noisemaker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:50 AM   #106
blulegend
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrouge View Post
Just went to Los Cerritos Apple Store to swap out my original 32gb Black iPhone 5 due to dead pixels.

Well, even though the genius guy said he can't see the dead pixel (I wonder why), he said he would replace it anyways because I had a problem with it.

Then, I went through 4 iPhone 5's in that "white box" because everything had scuff marks and scratches somewhere.

I was on my way to 5th, but then the genius guy said that manager won't allow it and I had to take one of those 4 or order a new one and wait few weeks.

So, I just took one with the least scratches and left.

I mean, I'm not that paranoid about this stuff so I guess I can live with few scratches, but this is pretty outrageous.

How can every single phone that I tried out had scratches?
It's becoming clear that these replacements are mainly phones that have failed cosmetic QC.
__________________
http://show.blupic.com
blulegend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:13 AM   #107
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisemaker View Post
Just because;

I received my iPhone 5 today. Flawless, out of the box. No scuffs, scratches, or dead pixels.

Suck it.
Sorry, I've had a full month ahead to enjoy mine.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:49 AM   #108
bwsteg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Queens NY
I have a second black iphone that has a few scratches which came from factory and looking to exchange for a white phone. Can I do this in-store even though I pre-ordered/purchased via apple online store?
bwsteg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:49 AM   #109
Atrin1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas
I've had my iphone 5 for 20 days. So I have 10 more to exchange or return. I've been noticing a low battery life.

For example: today I woke up for work, using my alarm on my iphone. When I finished getting ready for work I checked the weather using the Living Earth HD app, and checked a couple of emails. I get to my car and notice I had already dropped 6% of battery life doing those 3 things.

Is it possible to exchange it for a new one?

I don't have a lot of stuff using notifications, my brightness on screen is 50%, I do not use the integrated Facebook setting, and I turn wifi off when I leave my home so it isn't searching for new networks.

Any thoughts?
Atrin1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:58 PM   #110
Altrouge
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blulegend View Post
It's becoming clear that these replacements are mainly phones that have failed cosmetic QC.
Guy who was sitting next to me at that time said "Oh that famous scuffgate issue? It's crazy in online forums and news," when he saw I was trying out multiple phones but the genius said that I was being "picky" and this issue is not common "at all" in offline stores.

I don't even know if he is serious or don't know what the hell he is talking about, but to say that even after seeing right before his eyes that 4 replacement phones have cosmetic problems was pretty unbelievable.

Oh, and make sure that all of you out there planning to head out to the Apple Store to get a replacement have a genius who can actually point out all the scratches.

Even though the 2nd phone that I tried had all white right edges due to the scratches, he said he can't see it and at the same time trying to convince me that I was being way too paranoid about this.

Also, genius made sure that he will test out phones until I was happy, but he changed his words after the 4th one and said "Manager said I can't do it anymore. We can't test out every single phone in the store." Overall, VERY unpleasant visit.

Last edited by Altrouge; Oct 20, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Altrouge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:11 PM   #111
drew0020
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
The best iPhone 5 I have seen and the one I am using has a small scratch near the screws on the bottom of the phone. Have yet to see any iPhone 5 without a scratch either on the sides, back, or chamfered edge.
drew0020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:32 PM   #112
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816
 
joshwithachance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrouge View Post
Guy who was sitting next to me at that time said "Oh that famous scuffgate issue? It's crazy in online forums and news," when he saw I was trying out multiple phones but the genius said that I was being "picky" and this issue is not common "at all" in offline stores.

I don't even know if he is serious or don't know what the hell he is talking about, but to say that even after seeing right before his eyes that 4 replacement phones have cosmetic problems was pretty unbelievable.

Oh, and make sure that all of you out there planning to head out to the Apple Store to get a replacement have a genius who can actually point out all the scratches.

Even though the 2nd phone that I tried had all white right edges due to the scratches, he said he can't see it and at the same time trying to convince me that I was being way too paranoid about this.

Also, genius made sure that he will test out phones until I was happy, but he changed his words after the 4th one and said "Manager said I can't do it anymore. We can't test out every single phone in the store." Overall, VERY unpleasant visit.
You went through FOUR phones, what did you expect him to say?
joshwithachance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:21 PM   #113
Altrouge
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
You went through FOUR phones, what did you expect him to say?
I totally understand that they can't open everything in the store, and that's why I just left with one with the least scratches without complaining further.

But the question is, why the hell did Apple even stock those phones? Did they even QC before they send their units out?

If it was minor scratches in the edges, I won't say anything, but scratches were under the protective film on the back side and it looked pretty bad. And there were freaking glue sticking out of the corners.
Altrouge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:24 AM   #114
stonyboys
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
So are the current replacement phones refurbs?
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:06 PM   #115
legreen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Received my fourth handset yesterday and it is good. No cosmetic issues or any of the other problems previous iPhones had (dead pixels, screens not being sealed properly/split etc).
legreen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:08 PM   #116
cafleming1987
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I am kind of curious about the EXCHANGE, not return process. My sister has a 16GB on my AT&T account (bought yesterday). It came with nicks, not the world's biggest issue. Now, there is a static noise whenever you speak into the mic. I was going to make a genius bar appointment, but she decided she would rather have a higher capacity. Now, for some reason when a return is made on a line on my account, AT&T has to make a "claim ticket" and escalate it to reset the contract. No idea why it happens to my account, but it is a major pain. If I wait in line to get a ticket for a 32GB or 64GB, will Apple have to return the phone or can they process a exchange without having to reset the contract?

EDIT: I called 3 Apple stores in my area and they could not give me a answer.
cafleming1987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:42 AM   #117
ScottJ
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafleming1987 View Post
I am kind of curious about the EXCHANGE, not return process. My sister has a 16GB on my AT&T account (bought yesterday). It came with nicks, not the world's biggest issue. Now, there is a static noise whenever you speak into the mic. I was going to make a genius bar appointment, but she decided she would rather have a higher capacity. Now, for some reason when a return is made on a line on my account, AT&T has to make a "claim ticket" and escalate it to reset the contract. No idea why it happens to my account, but it is a major pain. If I wait in line to get a ticket for a 32GB or 64GB, will Apple have to return the phone or can they process a exchange without having to reset the contract?

EDIT: I called 3 Apple stores in my area and they could not give me a answer.
I'm not sure what the claim ticket process is for resetting the contract, but here's what I did. Just less than a month ago, I ordered a 16GB AT&T iPhone 5 (ordered online for instore pickup), and picked it up the next day. At that time, I realized that I should have ordered a 32GB and asked the associate about exchanging - he told me that I could bring the phone in within 30 days to do the exchange. He didn't mention that they might not have any stock to do the exchange, so about a week ago I did a return to the Apple store. I was told that AT&T now had a 14-day return policy (as of 10/7) with a $35 cancelation fee and that I should contact AT&T to see how it would affect me.

I called AT&T customer service and the rep said the $35 fee was a restocking fee, but offered to credit the account. The rep offered to stay on the phone while I did the return so that she could make sure that my upgrade eligibility would reset. She did, and the eligibility was reset almost immediately. Two days later I was able to order a new 32GB iPhone 5 and picked it up the next morning in-store from Apple. Note: I believe the 14-day return period only affects people purchasing iPhones from AT&T, not Apple. (When I ordered this week, Apple's sales policies still provided for 30 days for iPhones.) Also, I also believe the $35 restocking fee also only applies for purchases from AT&T, not from Apple. Apple did not deduct any fee when I returned the phone.

Hope this helps...
ScottJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:48 AM   #118
cafleming1987
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
I'm not sure what the claim ticket process is for resetting the contract, but here's what I did. Just less than a month ago, I ordered a 16GB AT&T iPhone 5 (ordered online for instore pickup), and picked it up the next day. At that time, I realized that I should have ordered a 32GB and asked the associate about exchanging - he told me that I could bring the phone in within 30 days to do the exchange. He didn't mention that they might not have any stock to do the exchange, so about a week ago I did a return to the Apple store. I was told that AT&T now had a 14-day return policy (as of 10/7) with a $35 cancelation fee and that I should contact AT&T to see how it would affect me.

I called AT&T customer service and the rep said the $35 fee was a restocking fee, but offered to credit the account. The rep offered to stay on the phone while I did the return so that she could make sure that my upgrade eligibility would reset. She did, and the eligibility was reset almost immediately. Two days later I was able to order a new 32GB iPhone 5 and picked it up the next morning in-store from Apple. Note: I believe the 14-day return period only affects people purchasing iPhones from AT&T, not Apple. (When I ordered this week, Apple's sales policies still provided for 30 days for iPhones.) Also, I also believe the $35 restocking fee also only applies for purchases from AT&T, not from Apple. Apple did not deduct any fee when I returned the phone.

Hope this helps...
Thank you for the reply. I will probably just go that route if I can't get a "over flow" iPhone, and I will have a AT&T rep on the phone while I am there. Sounds like it may be the easiest way to get this taken care of. Oh, and the claim ticket thing was because for some reason AT&T's system likes to reject the upgrade reversal when a return is made. The end up having to make a claim ticket and have it escalated to higher ups in order for the upgrade to reverse. No idea why it happens, but if I have a AT&T rep on the phone it may be able to be done immediately.

Last edited by cafleming1987; Oct 28, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
cafleming1987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:53 AM   #119
kappakea
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Hello all, this is my first post here.
I registered to this forum to share my experience with having to return / exchange the iPhone 5, black model.

One week ago, I was able to buy my iPhone 5, after waiting for 1 month (it had been out of stock since the day after release and the only way to get it was to manage to reserve it online, knowing that only a few were given away every day).
The reason why I wanted to get the phone from an Apple Store rather than buying it online was that I had heard about the scuffing/scratching issue and wanted to make sure that mine wouldn't be "defective": by opening my box in front of the Apple Store staff, I'd be able to get a replacement right away.

So I opened my box in front of them. I lifted the lid and inspected the phone before even touching it. I immediately noticed scratching on the outer edge and pointed it out. The staff proposed to replace the phone. The second phone they gave me didn't have scratching but a tiny speck of paint was missing from the diagonal part of the rim (not a scratch, though). I didn't want to be a pain in the ass to them (each time they exchange it, they have to return the first phone, refund it, pretend that I'm buying a new one and then register it, printing a new receipt) so I said it would be ok like this.

I didn't have a case for the phone, so when I got home and took it out of the box, I immediately put it in an Apple sock, to protect it in the meanwhile (I only want to buy a case which is approved by Apple but at the moment they don't have any at the Store).
When taking it out of this sock, I noticed a little thing at the bottom of the screen which I thought was some nylon dust, as it seemed transparent: I tried to blow on it but it seemed stuck between the edge of the screen and the rim. Later on I didn't see it anymore, which I thought confirmed that it was just dust. But 3 days ago, in bright light, I saw it again and this time I realised that it was not dust but a little chunk of the screen was missing.
So the next day I went back to the Apple Store and pointed it out to a specialist, who told me that they'd probably change the phone but I needed a Genius Bar appointment. Luckily, I had one scheduled for the next day (yesterday) to bring my iPod in for a repair. I took the chance to show my iPhone problem as well.

After a bit of a discussion, they agreed to change it for me (actually the manager agreed right away, it's the trainer who was all like "your phone will get damaged anyway". I agree to this, but I don't pay 900€ to have a phone which has a default even before I've started using it).
The manager was amazingly nice and did a return / exchange. But the trainer told me that if this one was damaged too, I would have to suck it, which obviously put me in a totally freaked out state: what if the new phone was worse than the previous one? When I opened the box, the phone was perfect. Like totally magnificent, and even more black than the one I had previously owned for a week.
I was really happy and relieved and started setting it up... until I realised that the home button was dead >_<

They did another return / exchange. The next phone was scratched on the edge and had a several specks of paint missing on the rim.

Another return / exchange. The next phone had a larger speck of pain missing, glue marks and scratching lines.

Another return / exchange. The manager was really nice and was the one proposing to exchange the phones each of these times. I was feeling really awful and was in the most stressed state, feeling like each new phone would be worse than the previous, and feeling really bad towards the staff. The manager said that it was not a problem to him, that there was indeed a paint/scratch issue and that the company should not ship defective phones in any case.
This time though, he added that this was the last exchange he was proposing today, as the stock was too low and they had to keep the rest of the phones for reservations. After this, if I wasn't happy, he'd have to reimburse me. When I opened the box, this phone (the 6th since the very first) was the most scratched of all, with several places missing paint, pieces of glue still stuck on the sides, and a really bad scratch around the Lightning dock, in a convoluted shape (as if some kid had doodled on the phone with a very shape needle).

I was feeling bad (for the staff) and sad (that I'd have to give back the phone and walk out with nothing) and so I debated for several minutes with myself whether I should keep this 6th one or not.
In the end I decided to give it back: I knew that if I had accepted it, I would never have been fully happy and would have seen the scratches/scuffs/paint missing every time, my eyes would have been drawn to these defects, amplifying them.

If the phone had costed just, say, 200€, I would have sucked it and kept a non-perfect one. But we're talking about a 900€ purchase, here, and I take extreme care of all my devices.
Besides, I love Apple and have never had such a problem with any of their products. My iPod 2007 is in perfect condition, the screen does not have a single scratch. My MacBook Pro 2008 is nearly pristine and running Lion: sure, the case has a dent from when the laptop was dropped on a concrete floor and sure the case is showing some wear marks where my forearms rest when I type, but that's normal use after 4 years and a half! But I can't accept to have a defective device right from purchase day.

The staff advised me to wait until they get stock, in mid-November... This is really disappointing as I now have to wait another month, after having been graced by the amazing-ness that is the iPhone 5 :/ I had grown really attached to it already.

They also told me that the scratch/scuffing problem is being address right now in factories and apparently they are starting to receive phones from the second batch (I suspect that the third phone they gave me, the one whose home button was dead, was from this second batch because it indeed had a perfect outer casing and looked more black than the others).

If I can have a phone that is "perfect" to me, I'm happy to wait and I actually wouldn't want a phone from the first batch, now that I've seen all the issues these have. I'm just sad to have to proceed like this and would have hoped that Apple is not the type of company that hurries production processes and ships damaged phones just so as to be ready for a certain release date (actually I think that Steve Jobs would never have allowed that, but this is another story...).

Anyway, all this to say: the Apple Store staff are really amazing and they will definitely exchange a phone that is damaged upon purchase (well, they kind of have to). There are also 14 days during which you can change your mind and ask to return the phone if you're not happy. Besides, if you take the Apple Care plan, you are guaranteed a replacement phone if any system problems appear later on.

It's just sad that we have to return phones due to manufacturing issues in the first place.
kappakea is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:30 AM   #120
Rocko1
macrumors 68000
 
Rocko1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappakea View Post
Hello all, this is my first post here.
I registered to this forum to share my experience with having to return / exchange the iPhone 5, black model.

One week ago, I was able to buy my iPhone 5, after waiting for 1 month (it had been out of stock since the day after release and the only way to get it was to manage to reserve it online, knowing that only a few were given away every day).
The reason why I wanted to get the phone from an Apple Store rather than buying it online was that I had heard about the scuffing/scratching issue and wanted to make sure that mine wouldn't be "defective": by opening my box in front of the Apple Store staff, I'd be able to get a replacement right away.

So I opened my box in front of them. I lifted the lid and inspected the phone before even touching it. I immediately noticed scratching on the outer edge and pointed it out. The staff proposed to replace the phone. The second phone they gave me didn't have scratching but a tiny speck of paint was missing from the diagonal part of the rim (not a scratch, though). I didn't want to be a pain in the ass to them (each time they exchange it, they have to return the first phone, refund it, pretend that I'm buying a new one and then register it, printing a new receipt) so I said it would be ok like this.

I didn't have a case for the phone, so when I got home and took it out of the box, I immediately put it in an Apple sock, to protect it in the meanwhile (I only want to buy a case which is approved by Apple but at the moment they don't have any at the Store).
When taking it out of this sock, I noticed a little thing at the bottom of the screen which I thought was some nylon dust, as it seemed transparent: I tried to blow on it but it seemed stuck between the edge of the screen and the rim. Later on I didn't see it anymore, which I thought confirmed that it was just dust. But 3 days ago, in bright light, I saw it again and this time I realised that it was not dust but a little chunk of the screen was missing.
So the next day I went back to the Apple Store and pointed it out to a specialist, who told me that they'd probably change the phone but I needed a Genius Bar appointment. Luckily, I had one scheduled for the next day (yesterday) to bring my iPod in for a repair. I took the chance to show my iPhone problem as well.

After a bit of a discussion, they agreed to change it for me (actually the manager agreed right away, it's the trainer who was all like "your phone will get damaged anyway". I agree to this, but I don't pay 900 to have a phone which has a default even before I've started using it).
The manager was amazingly nice and did a return / exchange. But the trainer told me that if this one was damaged too, I would have to suck it, which obviously put me in a totally freaked out state: what if the new phone was worse than the previous one? When I opened the box, the phone was perfect. Like totally magnificent, and even more black than the one I had previously owned for a week.
I was really happy and relieved and started setting it up... until I realised that the home button was dead >_<

They did another return / exchange. The next phone was scratched on the edge and had a several specks of paint missing on the rim.

Another return / exchange. The next phone had a larger speck of pain missing, glue marks and scratching lines.

Another return / exchange. The manager was really nice and was the one proposing to exchange the phones each of these times. I was feeling really awful and was in the most stressed state, feeling like each new phone would be worse than the previous, and feeling really bad towards the staff. The manager said that it was not a problem to him, that there was indeed a paint/scratch issue and that the company should not ship defective phones in any case.
This time though, he added that this was the last exchange he was proposing today, as the stock was too low and they had to keep the rest of the phones for reservations. After this, if I wasn't happy, he'd have to reimburse me. When I opened the box, this phone (the 6th since the very first) was the most scratched of all, with several places missing paint, pieces of glue still stuck on the sides, and a really bad scratch around the Lightning dock, in a convoluted shape (as if some kid had doodled on the phone with a very shape needle).

I was feeling bad (for the staff) and sad (that I'd have to give back the phone and walk out with nothing) and so I debated for several minutes with myself whether I should keep this 6th one or not.
In the end I decided to give it back: I knew that if I had accepted it, I would never have been fully happy and would have seen the scratches/scuffs/paint missing every time, my eyes would have been drawn to these defects, amplifying them.

If the phone had costed just, say, 200, I would have sucked it and kept a non-perfect one. But we're talking about a 900 purchase, here, and I take extreme care of all my devices.
Besides, I love Apple and have never had such a problem with any of their products. My iPod 2007 is in perfect condition, the screen does not have a single scratch. My MacBook Pro 2008 is nearly pristine and running Lion: sure, the case has a dent from when the laptop was dropped on a concrete floor and sure the case is showing some wear marks where my forearms rest when I type, but that's normal use after 4 years and a half! But I can't accept to have a defective device right from purchase day.

The staff advised me to wait until they get stock, in mid-November... This is really disappointing as I now have to wait another month, after having been graced by the amazing-ness that is the iPhone 5 :/ I had grown really attached to it already.

They also told me that the scratch/scuffing problem is being address right now in factories and apparently they are starting to receive phones from the second batch (I suspect that the third phone they gave me, the one whose home button was dead, was from this second batch because it indeed had a perfect outer casing and looked more black than the others).

If I can have a phone that is "perfect" to me, I'm happy to wait and I actually wouldn't want a phone from the first batch, now that I've seen all the issues these have. I'm just sad to have to proceed like this and would have hoped that Apple is not the type of company that hurries production processes and ships damaged phones just so as to be ready for a certain release date (actually I think that Steve Jobs would never have allowed that, but this is another story...).

Anyway, all this to say: the Apple Store staff are really amazing and they will definitely exchange a phone that is damaged upon purchase (well, they kind of have to). There are also 14 days during which you can change your mind and ask to return the phone if you're not happy. Besides, if you take the Apple Care plan, you are guaranteed a replacement phone if any system problems appear later on.

It's just sad that we have to return phones due to manufacturing issues in the first place.
This was an exhausting read.
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:40 AM   #121
bobright
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappakea View Post
Hello all, this is my first post here.
I registered to this forum to share my experience with having to return / exchange the iPhone 5, black model.

One week ago, I was able to buy my iPhone 5, after waiting for 1 month (it had been out of stock since the day after release and the only way to get it was to manage to reserve it online, knowing that only a few were given away every day).
The reason why I wanted to get the phone from an Apple Store rather than buying it online was that I had heard about the scuffing/scratching issue and wanted to make sure that mine wouldn't be "defective": by opening my box in front of the Apple Store staff, I'd be able to get a replacement right away.

So I opened my box in front of them. I lifted the lid and inspected the phone before even touching it. I immediately noticed scratching on the outer edge and pointed it out. The staff proposed to replace the phone. The second phone they gave me didn't have scratching but a tiny speck of paint was missing from the diagonal part of the rim (not a scratch, though). I didn't want to be a pain in the ass to them (each time they exchange it, they have to return the first phone, refund it, pretend that I'm buying a new one and then register it, printing a new receipt) so I said it would be ok like this.

I didn't have a case for the phone, so when I got home and took it out of the box, I immediately put it in an Apple sock, to protect it in the meanwhile (I only want to buy a case which is approved by Apple but at the moment they don't have any at the Store).
When taking it out of this sock, I noticed a little thing at the bottom of the screen which I thought was some nylon dust, as it seemed transparent: I tried to blow on it but it seemed stuck between the edge of the screen and the rim. Later on I didn't see it anymore, which I thought confirmed that it was just dust. But 3 days ago, in bright light, I saw it again and this time I realised that it was not dust but a little chunk of the screen was missing.
So the next day I went back to the Apple Store and pointed it out to a specialist, who told me that they'd probably change the phone but I needed a Genius Bar appointment. Luckily, I had one scheduled for the next day (yesterday) to bring my iPod in for a repair. I took the chance to show my iPhone problem as well.

After a bit of a discussion, they agreed to change it for me (actually the manager agreed right away, it's the trainer who was all like "your phone will get damaged anyway". I agree to this, but I don't pay 900 to have a phone which has a default even before I've started using it).
The manager was amazingly nice and did a return / exchange. But the trainer told me that if this one was damaged too, I would have to suck it, which obviously put me in a totally freaked out state: what if the new phone was worse than the previous one? When I opened the box, the phone was perfect. Like totally magnificent, and even more black than the one I had previously owned for a week.
I was really happy and relieved and started setting it up... until I realised that the home button was dead >_<

They did another return / exchange. The next phone was scratched on the edge and had a several specks of paint missing on the rim.

Another return / exchange. The next phone had a larger speck of pain missing, glue marks and scratching lines.

Another return / exchange. The manager was really nice and was the one proposing to exchange the phones each of these times. I was feeling really awful and was in the most stressed state, feeling like each new phone would be worse than the previous, and feeling really bad towards the staff. The manager said that it was not a problem to him, that there was indeed a paint/scratch issue and that the company should not ship defective phones in any case.
This time though, he added that this was the last exchange he was proposing today, as the stock was too low and they had to keep the rest of the phones for reservations. After this, if I wasn't happy, he'd have to reimburse me. When I opened the box, this phone (the 6th since the very first) was the most scratched of all, with several places missing paint, pieces of glue still stuck on the sides, and a really bad scratch around the Lightning dock, in a convoluted shape (as if some kid had doodled on the phone with a very shape needle).

I was feeling bad (for the staff) and sad (that I'd have to give back the phone and walk out with nothing) and so I debated for several minutes with myself whether I should keep this 6th one or not.
In the end I decided to give it back: I knew that if I had accepted it, I would never have been fully happy and would have seen the scratches/scuffs/paint missing every time, my eyes would have been drawn to these defects, amplifying them.

If the phone had costed just, say, 200, I would have sucked it and kept a non-perfect one. But we're talking about a 900 purchase, here, and I take extreme care of all my devices.
Besides, I love Apple and have never had such a problem with any of their products. My iPod 2007 is in perfect condition, the screen does not have a single scratch. My MacBook Pro 2008 is nearly pristine and running Lion: sure, the case has a dent from when the laptop was dropped on a concrete floor and sure the case is showing some wear marks where my forearms rest when I type, but that's normal use after 4 years and a half! But I can't accept to have a defective device right from purchase day.

The staff advised me to wait until they get stock, in mid-November... This is really disappointing as I now have to wait another month, after having been graced by the amazing-ness that is the iPhone 5 :/ I had grown really attached to it already.

They also told me that the scratch/scuffing problem is being address right now in factories and apparently they are starting to receive phones from the second batch (I suspect that the third phone they gave me, the one whose home button was dead, was from this second batch because it indeed had a perfect outer casing and looked more black than the others).

If I can have a phone that is "perfect" to me, I'm happy to wait and I actually wouldn't want a phone from the first batch, now that I've seen all the issues these have. I'm just sad to have to proceed like this and would have hoped that Apple is not the type of company that hurries production processes and ships damaged phones just so as to be ready for a certain release date (actually I think that Steve Jobs would never have allowed that, but this is another story...).

Anyway, all this to say: the Apple Store staff are really amazing and they will definitely exchange a phone that is damaged upon purchase (well, they kind of have to). There are also 14 days during which you can change your mind and ask to return the phone if you're not happy. Besides, if you take the Apple Care plan, you are guaranteed a replacement phone if any system problems appear later on.

It's just sad that we have to return phones due to manufacturing issues in the first place.
I smell BS no manager is going to say come back and get a phone from a second batch that addressed this scratch-gate problem
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:51 PM   #122
cafleming1987
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappakea View Post
Hello all, this is my first post here.
I registered to this forum to share my experience with having to return / exchange the iPhone 5, black model.

One week ago, I was able to buy my iPhone 5, after waiting for 1 month (it had been out of stock since the day after release and the only way to get it was to manage to reserve it online, knowing that only a few were given away every day).
The reason why I wanted to get the phone from an Apple Store rather than buying it online was that I had heard about the scuffing/scratching issue and wanted to make sure that mine wouldn't be "defective": by opening my box in front of the Apple Store staff, I'd be able to get a replacement right away.

So I opened my box in front of them. I lifted the lid and inspected the phone before even touching it. I immediately noticed scratching on the outer edge and pointed it out. The staff proposed to replace the phone. The second phone they gave me didn't have scratching but a tiny speck of paint was missing from the diagonal part of the rim (not a scratch, though). I didn't want to be a pain in the ass to them (each time they exchange it, they have to return the first phone, refund it, pretend that I'm buying a new one and then register it, printing a new receipt) so I said it would be ok like this.

I didn't have a case for the phone, so when I got home and took it out of the box, I immediately put it in an Apple sock, to protect it in the meanwhile (I only want to buy a case which is approved by Apple but at the moment they don't have any at the Store).
When taking it out of this sock, I noticed a little thing at the bottom of the screen which I thought was some nylon dust, as it seemed transparent: I tried to blow on it but it seemed stuck between the edge of the screen and the rim. Later on I didn't see it anymore, which I thought confirmed that it was just dust. But 3 days ago, in bright light, I saw it again and this time I realised that it was not dust but a little chunk of the screen was missing.
So the next day I went back to the Apple Store and pointed it out to a specialist, who told me that they'd probably change the phone but I needed a Genius Bar appointment. Luckily, I had one scheduled for the next day (yesterday) to bring my iPod in for a repair. I took the chance to show my iPhone problem as well.

After a bit of a discussion, they agreed to change it for me (actually the manager agreed right away, it's the trainer who was all like "your phone will get damaged anyway". I agree to this, but I don't pay 900€ to have a phone which has a default even before I've started using it).
The manager was amazingly nice and did a return / exchange. But the trainer told me that if this one was damaged too, I would have to suck it, which obviously put me in a totally freaked out state: what if the new phone was worse than the previous one? When I opened the box, the phone was perfect. Like totally magnificent, and even more black than the one I had previously owned for a week.
I was really happy and relieved and started setting it up... until I realised that the home button was dead >_<

They did another return / exchange. The next phone was scratched on the edge and had a several specks of paint missing on the rim.

Another return / exchange. The next phone had a larger speck of pain missing, glue marks and scratching lines.

Another return / exchange. The manager was really nice and was the one proposing to exchange the phones each of these times. I was feeling really awful and was in the most stressed state, feeling like each new phone would be worse than the previous, and feeling really bad towards the staff. The manager said that it was not a problem to him, that there was indeed a paint/scratch issue and that the company should not ship defective phones in any case.
This time though, he added that this was the last exchange he was proposing today, as the stock was too low and they had to keep the rest of the phones for reservations. After this, if I wasn't happy, he'd have to reimburse me. When I opened the box, this phone (the 6th since the very first) was the most scratched of all, with several places missing paint, pieces of glue still stuck on the sides, and a really bad scratch around the Lightning dock, in a convoluted shape (as if some kid had doodled on the phone with a very shape needle).

I was feeling bad (for the staff) and sad (that I'd have to give back the phone and walk out with nothing) and so I debated for several minutes with myself whether I should keep this 6th one or not.
In the end I decided to give it back: I knew that if I had accepted it, I would never have been fully happy and would have seen the scratches/scuffs/paint missing every time, my eyes would have been drawn to these defects, amplifying them.

If the phone had costed just, say, 200€, I would have sucked it and kept a non-perfect one. But we're talking about a 900€ purchase, here, and I take extreme care of all my devices.
Besides, I love Apple and have never had such a problem with any of their products. My iPod 2007 is in perfect condition, the screen does not have a single scratch. My MacBook Pro 2008 is nearly pristine and running Lion: sure, the case has a dent from when the laptop was dropped on a concrete floor and sure the case is showing some wear marks where my forearms rest when I type, but that's normal use after 4 years and a half! But I can't accept to have a defective device right from purchase day.

The staff advised me to wait until they get stock, in mid-November... This is really disappointing as I now have to wait another month, after having been graced by the amazing-ness that is the iPhone 5 :/ I had grown really attached to it already.

They also told me that the scratch/scuffing problem is being address right now in factories and apparently they are starting to receive phones from the second batch (I suspect that the third phone they gave me, the one whose home button was dead, was from this second batch because it indeed had a perfect outer casing and looked more black than the others).

If I can have a phone that is "perfect" to me, I'm happy to wait and I actually wouldn't want a phone from the first batch, now that I've seen all the issues these have. I'm just sad to have to proceed like this and would have hoped that Apple is not the type of company that hurries production processes and ships damaged phones just so as to be ready for a certain release date (actually I think that Steve Jobs would never have allowed that, but this is another story...).

Anyway, all this to say: the Apple Store staff are really amazing and they will definitely exchange a phone that is damaged upon purchase (well, they kind of have to). There are also 14 days during which you can change your mind and ask to return the phone if you're not happy. Besides, if you take the Apple Care plan, you are guaranteed a replacement phone if any system problems appear later on.

It's just sad that we have to return phones due to manufacturing issues in the first place.
Dang, be grateful that you are dealing with a decent manager. I had to return a 16GB today, and they were ***holes about it. I returned it due to a static noise, and refused to take the replacement they offered since it looked like it had been through hell and back. I am personally going with a white model, since the scratches are apparently less noticeable. I will still pick up the Apple Care+ though, so if they give me grief about replacing it for something down the road...I'll just give it to my great dane puppy for a few minutes and pay the $50 for a new one.

Last edited by cafleming1987; Oct 28, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
cafleming1987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:08 PM   #123
ziffies
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Apple.com Replacement

For those who sent it their brand new iPhone 5 to Apple.com via prepaid shipping label that Apple gave you, did you send everything that came with the phone or just phone only? Called Apple twice and got difference answer, first rep said everything, the second one said just the iPhone... so which one is correct then?

When you got the replacement, did you get in sealed retail package? White box? Black box from Apple.com?

What would you recommend, should I do it via snail mail or should I go to Apple store and have it taken care of?

Thanks!
ziffies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:44 PM   #124
ltb7
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziffies View Post
For those who sent it their brand new iPhone 5 to Apple.com via prepaid shipping label that Apple gave you, did you send everything that came with the phone or just phone only? Called Apple twice and got difference answer, first rep said everything, the second one said just the iPhone... so which one is correct then?

When you got the replacement, did you get in sealed retail package? White box? Black box from Apple.com?

What would you recommend, should I do it via snail mail or should I go to Apple store and have it taken care of?

Thanks!
when i returned the first phone, apple told me to keep the charger + ear pods (i wrote that on the invoice that i put in box) - the replacement came as a brand new iPhone as i did not go through apple care - apple sent me the label and i requested a pick up through USPS and they gave me a tracking number.....i would just go through apple.com and save yourself the hassle of the store.....HTH
ltb7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:56 PM   #125
ziffies
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltb7 View Post
when i returned the first phone, apple told me to keep the charger + ear pods (i wrote that on the invoice that i put in box) - the replacement came as a brand new iPhone as i did not go through apple care - apple sent me the label and i requested a pick up through USPS and they gave me a tracking number.....i would just go through apple.com and save yourself the hassle of the store.....HTH
Did you get the brand new iPhone in new retail box with the charger and ear pods? Or just the iPhone?
ziffies is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exchange/Replacement Question teamjaycub iPhone 19 May 22, 2014 08:05 AM
Apple iPhone 5 Replacement/Exchange kobe24izzy iPhone 6 Apr 13, 2013 11:25 AM
iPhone: Would Apple Stores Still Have Any non-6.1.3 iPhone 5 Exchange Units? Gathomblipoob Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Mar 22, 2013 11:46 PM
So I went to the Apple Store today to exchange my 16GB iPhone 5 for.... andyx3x iPhone 28 Dec 11, 2012 11:41 AM
Can i exchange iphone 5 at apple Tmurray315 iPhone 0 Sep 21, 2012 08:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC