Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:34 PM   #376
otis123
macrumors 6502a

My 5 is having quite a bit of trouble with my AirPort Extreme. Slow throughput and its having a hard time staying connected. My other iOS devices are fine as always, even my 3rd gen iPad on iOS 6. I hope this is just a software bug, you would think after 6 iPhones, 3 iPads and countless macs apple would have wifi down.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:39 PM   #377
vanc
macrumors 6502

My iPhone 5 got exactly the same problem. Throughput was horrible, and disconnected from my Airport express constantly. In the same location, my iPhone 4, iPad 1 & 3 all worked perfectly.

In order to make iPhone 5 happy, I purchased an Airport Extreme Yesterday and used the existing Airport express as an extender. This solved the problem perfectly. Now on iPhone 5, I don't have random dropouts and throughput is inline with my other iDevices.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:22 PM   #378
Concorde Rules
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
WPA2? WEP? Unsecured?
WPA2. Linksys E4200 V2.
Concorde Rules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:37 PM   #379
ZenErik
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ZenErik
I'm getting 10 - 12 Mbps down on my laptop and anywhere between .3 and 10 Mbps on my iPhone 5. Extremely inconsistent. ping has gone anywhere from 60 - 300 ms. Up speed has remained between 5 and 6 Mbps for the most part.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:22 PM   #380
urbantekreport
macrumors newbie

They found a wifi fix!

This worked for me as i searched and searched! Finally my iPhone 5 is complete!

Settings> Wi-Fi > Blue icon next to the network you’re connecting to > Scroll to the bottom > Set your device’s HTTP Proxy to Auto (leave Url blank)

After this, try speed test again! Snappy!

I got this from iphone5issues.net
urbantekreport is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:36 PM   #381
rownay
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbantekreport View Post

Settings> Wi-Fi > Blue icon next to the network you’re connecting to > Scroll to the bottom > Set your device’s HTTP Proxy to Auto (leave Url blank)

Didn't work for me =(
rownay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:53 PM   #382
urbantekreport
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rownay View Post
Didn't work for me =(
dang...sorry. Will you be taking yours back?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:11 PM   #383
chachawpi
macrumors member

Quote:

Why would turning on the web proxy option speed up the Wi-Fi? Are you all using broadcasting web proxy servers at home? HA
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:40 PM   #384
Oppressed
macrumors 65816

My issue was two fold. Once I actually took off WPA2, but made my network hidden and manually joined it and also changed my speed test app server I got great connection speeds.
Oppressed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:45 PM   #385
chachawpi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressed View Post
My issue was two fold. Once I actually took off WPA2, but made my network hidden and manually joined it and also changed my speed test app server I got great connection speeds.
People shouldn't tolerate this type of nonsense. Any budget laptop circa 2005 can connect to WPA2 networks without issue, so why can't the "most innovative Apple product ever"? Demand a refund/replacement/whatever - don't get complacent.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:45 PM   #386
urbantekreport
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachawpi View Post
Why would turning on the web proxy option speed up the Wi-Fi? Are you all using broadcasting web proxy servers at home? HA
No need to be condescending. Just trying to help as it helped me. Also it does not speed up your wifi rather allows you to access the full speed of your wifi connection.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:51 PM   #387
kobyh15
macrumors 6502a

I have the issue as well. I have 18 Mbps WiFi and I'm getting right around 17 on a MacBook Pro, iPad 3, and iPhone 4S. I can't get the iPhone 5 above 10. It's not super slow but there is no reason why the iPhone 5 shouldn't get exactly what the other 3 devices get. It's frustrating. What are the odds of this being a software fix vs. a hardware fix? I DO NOT want to have the hassle of returning this phone. I just opened the box today for goodness sakes.
kobyh15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:07 PM   #388
hetrigger
macrumors member

Something is up on Speedtest tho. Am in L.A. And it connects to a server in Kansas City and says its 28 miles away lol!!![/QUOTE]

Look Toto...we are not in LA anymore! LOL
To err is Human, to really foul things up, you need a computer!
hetrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:07 PM   #389
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Did not work, same results... Half speed or less, compared to my other devices (iPhone 4 included).
DDustiNN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:31 PM   #390
chachawpi
macrumors member

Quote:
No need to be condescending. Just trying to help as it helped me. Also it does not speed up your wifi rather allows you to access the full speed of your wifi connection.
I'm not trying to be condescending, I just don't understand everyone thinking that tweaking this or that will fix a lemon. Return or refund - exercise your consumer rights.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:56 PM   #391
darthraige
macrumors Demi-God

Updated my Firmware on my Linksys WRT54G Router. My iPhone 5 now flies on the thing. No more WIFI issues here. Thank God.

16GB iPad Mini Retina
darthraige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:56 PM   #392
G51989
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhittington View Post
The problem with using sites like Speedtest.com for this testing is that it is highly dependent on the customer's ISP and access point(s) which have little to NOTHING to do with the iPhone 5.
Read the entire thing. He couldnt even download content off his own computer via wifi.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:14 PM   #393
rsasecure
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I just tried this and it worked for me. I will still approach Apple to see what they have to say. Essentially I was seeing 7MB down and 12MB up on WiFi. After updating the settings mentioned above I see 48MB down and 12MB up.
rsasecure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:08 PM   #394
Cobalt`
macrumors newbie

Just switched from my 5GHz connection to 2.4GHz definitely made things go a LOT faster than on 5GHz. On an AirPort Extreme.
Cobalt` is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:21 PM   #395
danilko1
macrumors 6502

Quote:

This did not work for me either.

So.... My 5's Wi-Fi worked pretty good out of the box, and over the weekend. Come today, it didn't work at work. I thought it was work. We have problems all the time. Then I get home, and it's not any better.

Sometimes there is a glint of activity, but not enough to update apps. I thought maybe it was my router. I reset the router, nothing.

Since it was working fine over the weekend, I feel like something broke overnight.

UPDATE: I noticed GPS was active. I killed all apps. Rebooted. Then not at first, but within 10 minutes, something healed and now it's running good again.

This is strange. I hope it's not a common thing. I hardly ever had to reboot my other iPhones.

Last edited by danilko1; Sep 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
danilko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:31 AM   #396
Deako
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilko1 View Post
This did not work for me either.

So.... My 5's Wi-Fi worked pretty good out of the box, and over the weekend. Come today, it didn't work at work. I thought it was work. We have problems all the time. Then I get home, and it's not any better.

Sometimes there is a glint of activity, but not enough to update apps. I thought maybe it was my router. I reset the router, nothing.

Since it was working fine over the weekend, I feel like something broke overnight.

UPDATE: I noticed GPS was active. I killed all apps. Rebooted. Then not at first, but within 10 minutes, something healed and now it's running good again.

This is strange. I hope it's not a common thing. I hardly ever had to reboot my other iPhones.
I keep having to reboot mine too, crawls to a stop eventually on any connection over wifi. Reset network settings also works for a short amount of time, but its more convenient to reboot the phone.

I hope its a software issue, as other than this my phone is faultless.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:30 AM   #397
Oppressed
macrumors 65816

For those of you who got a replacement iPhone 5 from an Apple store did this fix your issue?
Oppressed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:07 AM   #398
ZenErik
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ZenErik
My iPhone 5 was seemingly connected to WiFi, but the connection kept dropping on multiple networks. It never showed it being disconnected and switching back to LTE, but it would just hang for a while.

Not sure if this is software or hardware. A reboot fixed it for now, but the WiFi is still generally slower than LTE in a Speedtest.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:34 PM   #399
tyronekauff
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
My speeds are ok, but my iPhone drops connection and I have to re-enter my network password every time.

12.62 down 2.2 up
I had the same problem with mine. The tech at RS told me how to fix it. Go to settings/wifi select "other"/ type in your router's SSID-select security type- enter password- Done. Your iPone 5 will now remember your network. It worked for me 3 days ago and no problems since. Hope this works!
tyronekauff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:32 PM   #400
Abrown5905
macrumors newbie

Few things to know about wifi. Wireless speeds compared to wired speeds will be different. There is no speed difference between 2.4 and 5ghz 2.4 will work on b,g,and n 5 will only work on a and n there real difference is there's less interference on 5ghz. Generally different security protocols ie wpa wpa2 wep and variations of tkip and aes will give you different speeds also on your router there is a channel selection and generally router by default are set to auto. If your speeds are slow play around with the channels because something on your premise may be interfering. Routers should not have to be piggybacked off of eachother unless you have a big networks with alot of devices most n routers are backwards compatible with b and g.
Abrown5905 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion