Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gfasciana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I received my new iphone5 from Verizon from fed ex on Saturday, opened it up and it was bent and the volume buttons were jammed. I took it the apple store in summit mall (Akron Ohio) and they told me they would not replace it and accused me of damaging the phone myself. The "genius" at the apple store told me that a phone like mine would not have passed apples production inspection. Now I'm stuck with a broken iphone5 that I waited forever for.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Go back and throw a fit, or try another apple store. If that fails, return it to the Online store, get refunded and buy a new one.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
If that had happened to me I wouldn't join a forum. I'd call Verizon. They shipped the phone. If it was damaged in transit, they should take care of you.

Hopefully you purchased AppleCare+ with your new iPhone

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
1) pics please - normally everyone here takes ur word, but this is pretty outlandish.
2) seriously? Scuff gate, rainbow screen gate, LTE gate, bent gate, no charger gate, etc.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
There's already a similar tread on the forum, the phone was bent by the shipper. They called Apple CS who shipped out a new phone and a box to return the damaged phone.

gfasciana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Apple turned me down, so I went to the nearest verizon store, showed them the issue and they didnt have any in stock to replace but geared me towards the nearest store. The pic is what i just took to show you all how its lifted off of a flat surface. Also you can youtube bent iphone 5 to see another case of it.

Attachments

• bent iphone image.jpeg
    bent iphone image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5,572

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Were all the plastic stickers from the manufacturer still on it? It's pretty tough for the Genius to argue you did it if all stickers were still on it (of course it's possible you bent it straight out of the box, but you should be given the benefit of the doubt). If/when this gets cleared up I would write a formal complaint regarding this Apple store and the Apple genius in question.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
It does make you wonder, with the aluminum frame, if people are going to bend their phones by sitting down awkwardly or something. Time will tell I guess.

gfasciana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
The genius in the store seriously belittled me telling me that my phone would have never passed apples "inspection" process and that I physically bent this myself. I can guarantee you that as soon as I take care of the situation Apple will hear about the customer service team at this specific location.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The genius in the store seriously belittled me telling me that my phone would have never passed apples "inspection" process and that I physically bent this myself. I can guarantee you that as soon as I take care of the situation Apple will hear about the customer service team at this specific location.

So you never answered my question though... did you remove the screen covers that all of these phones ship with?

Gage

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I'm pretty sure I saw a pic of another bent iPhone 5 in another thread. I think the poster said they got it that way from FedEx or UPS like another box was put on top if it.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY

This baffles me. Apple claims that its harder to get a job with them than to get into Harvard. Someone I know went through 5 interviews before he was hired. I attended 2 hiring seminars with them and was not hired, but this guy gets to have a job there? I've been struggling to find long term work for quite some time. SMH. :(

gfasciana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Not my video! I am trying to get apple care on the phone now to see if they can replace it and to report the issue.

The phone came in brand new with all the stickers on it yes.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I'm pretty sure I saw a pic of another bent iPhone 5 in another thread. I think the poster said they got it that way from FedEx or UPS like another box was put on top if it.
It's odd that someone would sign for a box that must have been crushed, deformed, or otherwise damaged. In order to bend the phone during shipment, outward signs would be readily apparent.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Maybe you damage it instead like the Apple Store told you :D how we know we can even trust you that you didn't break it.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Why would he purposely break a phone he has been waiting impatiently for months?

How is anyone going to bend a phone like that anyway without snapping the glass and causing the paint to chip off?

Maybe you damage it instead like the Apple Store told you :D how we know we can even trust you that you didn't break it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.