Should I let my iPhone 5 battery drain the first time? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:21 PM   #1
Myiphone7
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Should I let my iPhone 5 battery drain the first time?

This is the first time I am using my iPhone 5. Should I let battery drain completely?
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Iphone5preorder
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I did a bunch of research and figured out that nobody knows. Personally I'm letting it go to 1% then charging full.
Iphone5preorder is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:33 PM   #3
brand
macrumors 68040
 
brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphone5preorder View Post
I did a bunch of research and figured out that nobody knows.
Apple says its not needed so apparently they know.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:33 PM   #4
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indy, US
Some people who are experts claim "let it die first" then another expert claims "don't, new lithium batteries are fine" me personally. I let it die, then charge it all the way up. But that's just me haha
AppleFan91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:35 PM   #5
ttexxan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I wanted to test battery life and I am letting my drain to 1 percent. As I type this at two percent with almost 8 hrs of usage and over 1 day standby. Figure that is pretty good
ttexxan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:44 PM   #6
AgentOrange
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Good idea to calibrate

The iPhone 5 uses the same type of battery as past iPhones/other Macs (lithium ion/polymer). It's not a bad idea to calibrate the battery periodically.

Some links to help:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1289149

http://www.cultofmac.com/147994/gett...t-i-os-x-tips/
AgentOrange is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:52 PM   #7
jcastillo20059
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
It was an issue with only batteries but batteries these don't need that, but I always do it to every device that I own just a force of habbit, I usually do it the first 2 times then I let it go
jcastillo20059 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Draining Li-ion batteries too low can damage them. The occasional calibration isn't too bad, but draining it for the sake of "memory issues" is not valid where Li-ion batteries are concerned and in general is a bad practice.
__________________
Gecko Art | Facebook | flickr
Geckotek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:03 PM   #9
mobiletech
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
These LI-ion batteries come pre-conditioned from the fActory and they only need it the one time.
mobiletech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Ishimaru
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Yes! If my battery life is any indication, yes you should. Mine is 9% left with 10 hours, 10 minutes of usage, with 1 day, 3 hours of standby. Far better than I've ever gotten with the 4S.
Ishimaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:15 PM   #11
rufhausen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
I'm draining my battery down right now because I don't see any downside. I've been stuck at 1% for more than 15 minutes now while playing a video. This makes me think that some "calibration" is in order since now I don't think the 1% was accurate when began the video.
We'll see.
__________________
Mid-2011 27" 2.7Ghz iMac 16 GB | 32GB iPhone 5 | Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro (work)
twitter|flickr|thereluctantdeveloper.com
rufhausen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:17 PM   #12
HowardSmith
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
This is the first time I am using my iPhone 5. Should I let battery drain completely?
Just use it till the end of the day and charge it while you sleep, repeat daily.

You will get a hundred different answers for this. Bets to just ignor and enjoy your phone.
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:18 PM   #13
jlake02
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: L.A.
Draining my new i5 to 0% three times in a row DRAMATICALLY improved the battery life.

However, now that I've cycled it 3 times I will only be doing so like once a month.

Nobody is sure whether the new phone cycles help the software calibrate to give you more accurate readings or if it actually helps the battery itself. Probably the former.

Either way, give it a shot. Worked well for me.

GL!
__________________
iPhone 5; iPhone 4S; iPad 1,2,3; iPod Touch 4 x2, AppleTV
jlake02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:18 PM   #14
HowardSmith
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufhausen View Post
I'm draining my battery down right now because I don't see any downside. I've been stuck at 1% for more than 15 minutes now while playing a video. This makes me think that some "calibration" is in order since now I don't think the 1% was accurate when began the video.
We'll see.
My friend thought the same but even after running it down till it stopped, the phone did the same thing and ran for a LONG time after it got down to 1%.

It is just like your gas gage and you can still have plenty, even when it say Empty!
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:30 PM   #15
LyricalMenace
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlake02 View Post
Draining my new i5 to 0% three times in a row DRAMATICALLY improved the battery life.

However, now that I've cycled it 3 times I will only be doing so like once a month.

Nobody is sure whether the new phone cycles help the software calibrate to give you more accurate readings or if it actually helps the battery itself. Probably the former.

Either way, give it a shot. Worked well for me.

GL!
I had the same exact results. Every drain cycle my battery increased significantly.

Now I will charge as needed.
LyricalMenace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:32 PM   #16
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Never have followed any of that battery hocus pocus and have always had good battery life.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:44 PM   #17
kevroc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Never have followed any of that battery hocus pocus and have always had good battery life.
Some of us would like great battery life. If "good" is what you want than you probably don't have to bother with all that hocus pocus nonsense
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #18
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post
Some of us would like great battery life. If "good" is what you want than you probably don't have to bother with all that hocus pocus nonsense
ok..I have always had great battery life....been unplugged since 5:30 est and is at 80% right now.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:39 PM   #19
iamthekiller
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Draining the battery completely is an old caveman/fool's idea of how to condition a battery. It's not necessary with lithium ion, and it can actually have negative effects.

One would have done this with other devices with ni-cad batteries.
iamthekiller is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:09 PM   #20
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan91 View Post
Some people who are experts claim "let it die first" then another expert claims "don't, new lithium batteries are fine" me personally.
As always, consider the source. Sounds like you need to do a better job of vetting who is and isn't an expert.

And, as always:
http://www.apple.com/batteries
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:13 PM   #21
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000
 
LostSoul80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Lithium batteries don't have any memory effect, so any calibration of the battery itself is not needed.
Apple suggest to let your device go to 0% once a month to calibrate the battery sensor.
__________________
Automatic Fans: UltraFan
LostSoul80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:14 PM   #22
JCfromTB
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).
__________________
RIP -- Samsung Galaxy SII
iPhone 5 -- Black 64GB | 15" Macbook Pro | iPad I | TV
JCfromTB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:28 PM   #23
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indy, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
As always, consider the source. Sounds like you need to do a better job of vetting who is and isn't an expert.

And, as always:
http://www.apple.com/batteries
Thanks for the coaching session. But again, others claim different. I wasn't saying who was right or who was wrong, i was saying what ive heard from so called "experts"
AppleFan91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:42 PM   #24
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan91 View Post
Thanks for the coaching session. But again, others claim different. I wasn't saying who was right or who was wrong, i was saying what ive heard from so called "experts"
Yeah, any "experts" that tell you Li-Ion batteries need discharging are flat out wrong. The only benefit of discharging is to allow the charging system to calibrate against the battery's effective life. I don't even think once a month is necessary as the battery life won't change that often (except perhaps during the first few cycles when it actually increases in life).
__________________
Gecko Art | Facebook | flickr
Geckotek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:42 AM   #25
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indy, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Yeah, any "experts" that tell you Li-Ion batteries need discharging are flat out wrong. The only benefit of discharging is to allow the charging system to calibrate against the battery's effective life. I don't even think once a month is necessary as the battery life won't change that often (except perhaps during the first few cycles when it actually increases in life).
True. Yeah i dont disagree with you guys. I was being "helpful" in warning people of these so called "experts"
AppleFan91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Battery Drain 7.1 -> iPhone 5S SilentFisher iOS 7 3 Apr 17, 2014 07:13 PM
iPhone 5s Battery Drain on 3G jcphoenix iPhone 24 Feb 16, 2014 05:32 PM
How many time you reset the phone until the battery drain is fix? dragonjinse iOS 7 30 Sep 30, 2013 08:03 AM
iPhone 5 battery drain?? zach3294 iPhone 7 Apr 24, 2013 03:06 PM
i0S 6 battery drain, first time this has happened with my iPad davidinva iOS 6 0 Sep 22, 2012 07:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC