Should I let my iPhone 5 battery drain the first time? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:21 PM   #1
Myiphone7
Banned

Should I let my iPhone 5 battery drain the first time?

This is the first time I am using my iPhone 5. Should I let battery drain completely?
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Iphone5preorder
macrumors 6502a

I did a bunch of research and figured out that nobody knows. Personally I'm letting it go to 1% then charging full.
Iphone5preorder is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:33 PM   #3
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphone5preorder View Post
I did a bunch of research and figured out that nobody knows.
Apple says its not needed so apparently they know.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:33 PM   #4
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502

Some people who are experts claim "let it die first" then another expert claims "don't, new lithium batteries are fine" me personally. I let it die, then charge it all the way up. But that's just me haha
AppleFan91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:35 PM   #5
ttexxan
macrumors member

I wanted to test battery life and I am letting my drain to 1 percent. As I type this at two percent with almost 8 hrs of usage and over 1 day standby. Figure that is pretty good
ttexxan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:44 PM   #6
AgentOrange
macrumors newbie

Good idea to calibrate

The iPhone 5 uses the same type of battery as past iPhones/other Macs (lithium ion/polymer). It's not a bad idea to calibrate the battery periodically.

Some links to help:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1289149

http://www.cultofmac.com/147994/gett...t-i-os-x-tips/
AgentOrange is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:52 PM   #7
jcastillo20059
macrumors member

It was an issue with only batteries but batteries these don't need that, but I always do it to every device that I own just a force of habbit, I usually do it the first 2 times then I let it go
jcastillo20059 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Draining Li-ion batteries too low can damage them. The occasional calibration isn't too bad, but draining it for the sake of "memory issues" is not valid where Li-ion batteries are concerned and in general is a bad practice.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:03 PM   #9
mobiletech
macrumors member

These LI-ion batteries come pre-conditioned from the fActory and they only need it the one time.
mobiletech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Ishimaru
macrumors 6502a

Yes! If my battery life is any indication, yes you should. Mine is 9% left with 10 hours, 10 minutes of usage, with 1 day, 3 hours of standby. Far better than I've ever gotten with the 4S.
Ishimaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:15 PM   #11
rufhausen
macrumors regular

I'm draining my battery down right now because I don't see any downside. I've been stuck at 1% for more than 15 minutes now while playing a video. This makes me think that some "calibration" is in order since now I don't think the 1% was accurate when began the video.
We'll see.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:17 PM   #12
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
This is the first time I am using my iPhone 5. Should I let battery drain completely?
Just use it till the end of the day and charge it while you sleep, repeat daily.

You will get a hundred different answers for this. Bets to just ignor and enjoy your phone.
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:18 PM   #13
jlake02
macrumors 6502a

Draining my new i5 to 0% three times in a row DRAMATICALLY improved the battery life.

However, now that I've cycled it 3 times I will only be doing so like once a month.

Nobody is sure whether the new phone cycles help the software calibrate to give you more accurate readings or if it actually helps the battery itself. Probably the former.

Either way, give it a shot. Worked well for me.

GL!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:18 PM   #14
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufhausen View Post
I'm draining my battery down right now because I don't see any downside. I've been stuck at 1% for more than 15 minutes now while playing a video. This makes me think that some "calibration" is in order since now I don't think the 1% was accurate when began the video.
We'll see.
My friend thought the same but even after running it down till it stopped, the phone did the same thing and ran for a LONG time after it got down to 1%.

It is just like your gas gage and you can still have plenty, even when it say Empty!
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:30 PM   #15
LyricalMenace
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlake02 View Post
Draining my new i5 to 0% three times in a row DRAMATICALLY improved the battery life.

However, now that I've cycled it 3 times I will only be doing so like once a month.

Nobody is sure whether the new phone cycles help the software calibrate to give you more accurate readings or if it actually helps the battery itself. Probably the former.

Either way, give it a shot. Worked well for me.

GL!
I had the same exact results. Every drain cycle my battery increased significantly.

Now I will charge as needed.
LyricalMenace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:32 PM   #16
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Never have followed any of that battery hocus pocus and have always had good battery life.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:44 PM   #17
kevroc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Never have followed any of that battery hocus pocus and have always had good battery life.
Some of us would like great battery life. If "good" is what you want than you probably don't have to bother with all that hocus pocus nonsense
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #18
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post
Some of us would like great battery life. If "good" is what you want than you probably don't have to bother with all that hocus pocus nonsense
ok..I have always had great battery life....been unplugged since 5:30 est and is at 80% right now.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:39 PM   #19
iamthekiller
macrumors 6502a

Draining the battery completely is an old caveman/fool's idea of how to condition a battery. It's not necessary with lithium ion, and it can actually have negative effects.

One would have done this with other devices with ni-cad batteries.
iamthekiller is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:09 PM   #20
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan91 View Post
Some people who are experts claim "let it die first" then another expert claims "don't, new lithium batteries are fine" me personally.
As always, consider the source. Sounds like you need to do a better job of vetting who is and isn't an expert.

And, as always:
http://www.apple.com/batteries
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:13 PM   #21
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Lithium batteries don't have any memory effect, so any calibration of the battery itself is not needed.
Apple suggest to let your device go to 0% once a month to calibrate the battery sensor.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:14 PM   #22
JCfromTB
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:28 PM   #23
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
As always, consider the source. Sounds like you need to do a better job of vetting who is and isn't an expert.

And, as always:
http://www.apple.com/batteries
Thanks for the coaching session. But again, others claim different. I wasn't saying who was right or who was wrong, i was saying what ive heard from so called "experts"
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:42 PM   #24
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan91 View Post
Thanks for the coaching session. But again, others claim different. I wasn't saying who was right or who was wrong, i was saying what ive heard from so called "experts"
Yeah, any "experts" that tell you Li-Ion batteries need discharging are flat out wrong. The only benefit of discharging is to allow the charging system to calibrate against the battery's effective life. I don't even think once a month is necessary as the battery life won't change that often (except perhaps during the first few cycles when it actually increases in life).
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:42 AM   #25
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Yeah, any "experts" that tell you Li-Ion batteries need discharging are flat out wrong. The only benefit of discharging is to allow the charging system to calibrate against the battery's effective life. I don't even think once a month is necessary as the battery life won't change that often (except perhaps during the first few cycles when it actually increases in life).
True. Yeah i dont disagree with you guys. I was being "helpful" in warning people of these so called "experts"

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone