Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 coating report, mine is nearly scratch proof.

So I got an iPhone 5 with a rear camera defect and I'm set up to receive a warranty replacement. In the mean time I thought I'd investigate all the rumors of scratching the coating off the aluminium as my phone will be replaced with a perfectly new one anyways.

I've pretty much done everything possible to scratch the phone within reason:

- carried it in a pocket with a ring of sharp keys every day (which scratched my iPhone 4 in the first 2 days fyi)
- dropped it onto the floor a few times
- physically hit it against countertops
- dragged the side against a peice of plywood
- dragged the metal tip of a pen across the side
- played hockey with it on a wood floor
- dropped it 3 feet onto marble floors repeatedly
- thrown it across counters at every opportunity
- dragged a penny across the edge HARD

And my report is that there are no scratches or paint peeling off at all. Apple did a very good job.

I looked through a few threads and saw the pictures of the coating coming off. My theory is that if the coating does come off, it's a deffective phone. Several of the phones have shipped with partially applied coatings brand new, so if it does come off it's probably on a thin spot.

Just thought I'd contribute. Anyone else finding the coating especially durable?

Last edited by Radiating; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Radiating is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:29 PM   #2
IllIllIll
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post

- carried it in a pocket with a ring of sharp keys every day (which scratched my iPhone 4 in the first 2 days fyi)

And my report is that there are no scratches or paint peeling off at all. Apple did a very good job.

I looked through a few threads and saw the pictures of the coating coming off. My theory is that if the coating does come off, it's a deffective phone. Several of the phones have shipped with partially applied coatings brand new, so if it does come off it's probably on a thin spot.

Just thought I'd contribute. Anyone else finding the coating especially durable?
You're pretty hard on your mobile electronics. I'm honestly having trouble figuring out if you're serious or just trolling.
IllIllIll is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:32 PM   #3
dmccloud
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllIllIll View Post
You're pretty hard on your mobile electronics. I'm honestly having trouble figuring out if you're serious or just trolling.
I've seen a couple of people drag x-acto knives, keys, etc across the back of their black iPhone 5s and it's done nothing to the coating. It's anodized aluminum, so if applied properly it should be nearly indestructible.
dmccloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Funkymonk
macrumors 6502a

Good to hear. I got a white one that is in pristine condition but I've been paranoid as hell and super protective of it while waiting for my case to come in so reading this thread makes me feel a bit better.
Funkymonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:34 PM   #5
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

TM WAZZA is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:37 PM   #6
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

I totally ran a big diamond all over the back of my new iPhone and it didn't scratch at all!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Read the thread again. Jesus. The phone is being replaced under warranty. I wouldn't do this to a phone that I'm going to keep.

I'm actually trying to put it through a stress test to see if I can go without the screen protector and bumper combo I had to use on the 4/4S to keep them scratch free.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:41 PM   #8
IllIllIll
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccloud View Post
I've seen a couple of people drag x-acto knives, keys, etc across the back of their black iPhone 5s and it's done nothing to the coating. It's anodized aluminum, so if applied properly it should be nearly indestructible.
There are differing degrees of anodization. I have a bunch of Surefire flashlights that are Type III hard anodized aluminum. You can drive over them with a car without a problem. That doesn't mean the iPhone's anodized aluminum is the same type.

Regardless, I was referring to the fact that the OP claimed to be repeatedly dropping his iPhone onto a marble floor from 3 feet up and throwing it around.

----------

Quote:
Read the thread again. Jesus. The phone is being replaced under warranty. I wouldn't do this to a phone that I'm going to keep.

I'm actually trying to put it through a stress test to see if I can go without the screen protector and bumper combo I had to use on the 4/4S to keep them scratch free.
OK, calm down. I just found it somewhat illogical that you'd beat up a device that's slated for warranty replacement, especially when Apple might accuse you of abusing the device.
IllIllIll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:41 PM   #9
dmccloud
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
There are differing degrees of anodization. I have a bunch of Surefire flashlights that are Type III hard anodized aluminum. You can drive over them with a car without a problem. That doesn't mean the iPhone's anodized aluminum is the same type.

Regardless, I was referring to the fact that the OP claimed to be repeatedly dropping his iPhone onto a marble floor from 3 feet up and throwing it around.
I have no way of knowing if the OP is legit or not, which is why I was just recounting what I've seen either live on TWiT or live in person.
dmccloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a

This is reassuring and disappointing, all at the same time. I'm happy that some devices are properly anodized, but it seems like the amount of these pristine devices is proportionally quite low.

As they say though, the squeaky wheel gets the grease- it's difficult to quantify how many people have flawless outer coatings due the decreased likelihood of them actually reporting it.
Tubamajuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:44 PM   #11
TheDLade
macrumors member

The one's with the scuffs are defects, there's a video on YouTube about a Foxconn worker who said 90 out of 100 iPhones are defected atm. It's not supposed to scratch that easy.
TheDLade is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:57 PM   #12
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

OK, calm down. I just found it somewhat illogical that you'd beat up a device that's slated for warranty replacement, especially when Apple might accuse you of abusing the device.
The defect is already noted with the manager. Apple doesn't care if you turn in a scratched phone for warranty replacement and I confirmed this with the manager.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to break it beyond repair, but in the past I've accidentally droped my phone at least once a week from a small height and if it's going to go without protection I need to know it will last. All the electronics are solid state and the only risk is the screen cracking which won't happen from a short height. I'm not willing to risk really breaking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDLade View Post
The one's with the scuffs are defects, there's a video on YouTube about a Foxconn worker who said 90 out of 100 iPhones are defected atm. It's not supposed to scratch that easy.
Link? I've been a little worried about getting a deffective replacement, would like to see this.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:09 AM   #13
apierrec
Banned

Why did you do this?

thank you, if true (I kinda believed you)

Are you rich? You bought at least 2?

apierrec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:13 AM   #14
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
The defect is already noted with the manager. Apple doesn't care if you turn in a scratched phone for warranty replacement and I confirmed this with the manager.
I hope they don't care about shattered iPhones either, as you could've done that by dropping it 3 feet on marble floor or throwing it around.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:16 AM   #15
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
So I got an iPhone 5 with a rear camera defect and I'm set up to receive a warranty replacement. In the mean time I thought I'd investigate all the rumors of scratching the coating off the aluminium as my phone will be replaced with a perfectly new one anyways.

Show us with a video, anyone can make a post, video removes speculation...
entatlrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:20 AM   #16
markrivers
macrumors 6502a

the OP got a display/dummy iPhone 5.
That will explain the non-working camera and the rest of the stress test
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:24 AM   #17
JS82712
Banned

Quote:

Pics or it didn't happen.
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:34 AM   #18
TheDLade
macrumors member

Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to break it beyond repair, but in the past I've accidentally droped my phone at least once a week from a small height and if it's going to go without protection I need to know it will last. All the electronics are solid state and the only risk is the screen cracking which won't happen from a short height. I'm not willing to risk really breaking it.

Link? I've been a little worried about getting a deffective replacement, would like to see this.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13484647528042
TheDLade is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:56 AM   #19
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
x2

Call billshit on dropping it on a marble floor several times with no dents or damage. My wife bounced hers off the couch cushion onto a wood floor and it dented pretty good.

Video of all of the above or it didn't happen.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:59 AM   #20
b166er
macrumors 68020

I was swimming in my vault, like so much Scrooge McDuck, and my iPhone got a scratch
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:00 AM   #21
schizbomb
macrumors 6502

I dropped mine from about 5 feet on asphalt and it didn't nick or scratch

luckiest day of my life I was freaking out
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:16 AM   #22
AppleRocks2011
macrumors member

This is really good to know!

Hi there! I'm really glad that I came across this forum. When I bought my brand new iPhone 5 on Saturday, I was really concerned that the back if my iPhone would scratch.

I have not put a case on my phone. My view is that the phone was made to be used, and it should be used without restriction. However, that doesn't mean that I'm going to abuse it, in fact, quite the contrary! I'm going to do all I can to try and keep my phone safe, but again, it's made to be used.

I really hope that the back of the phone doesn't scratch, and by the looks of it, the aluminum back looks quite strong.
AppleRocks2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:19 AM   #23
therationalist
macrumors regular

therationalist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:22 AM   #24
iproductsuser
Banned

OP, can you post pics of the phone after this abuse?
iproductsuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:25 AM   #25
ARSC
macrumors 6502

If you say you did all that I believe you but post some pics.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone