Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:14 AM   #51
indyzzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMA dojo View Post
how'd you get a "device only" pre-order???
Because he is BSing, thats why . Either that or he was dreaming when he wrote that and he probably just woke up.
indyzzzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:09 PM   #52
Nickolaubr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyzzzz View Post
Because he is BSing, thats why . Either that or he was dreaming when he wrote that and he probably just woke up.
If you're a legitimate ATT or VZ user and is not eligible for an upgrade, apple allows you to buy a full price unit.
Nickolaubr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:29 PM   #53
qckslvrsiete
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMA dojo View Post
is this something you know yourself or have read? I'm looking for someone's first hand experience on this (or link to it).

Verizon models of previous generations weren't automatically factory unlocked, so seeing that "Congrats" screen is reassurance to me that it truly is factory unlocked... and not just a temporary thing either that can be later revoked.
I bought a 16gb iPhone 5 from VZW re-seller (Target), on a 2-year contract for $199. I accepted the carrier settings update to Verizon13.1 to fix the wifi/cellular data bug. I was scared that update may have broken the unlock, but had no way to check it.

My co-worker just got his iPhone 5 on AT&T. I asked him if I could pop his nano-sim into my Verizon iPhone 5 just to see if this thing truly came to me unlocked. Two minutes later, my Verizon iPhone 5 was showing full coverage on AT&T "4G" (HSPA+), albeit with my co-workers phone number tied to it.

I popped my Verizon LTE SIM card back into my phone, happy I had confirmed the unlock.

Never got a screen in iTunes. The phone was unlocked out of the box.
qckslvrsiete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:58 PM   #54
ANMA dojo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolaubr View Post
If you're a legitimate ATT or VZ user and is not eligible for an upgrade, apple allows you to buy a full price unit.
that works, but only to an extent -- I know cuz I took advantage of that too for a while. I was hoping you knew of a different way to reserve full-priced iphone 5 online

my line (with 4S) wasn't eligible for early upgrade until Oct 8th... but instead the online reserve system would allow me to purchase iphone 5 at FULL PRICE without extending my contract (as you suggest here). I did this 3 times no problem -- each one was confirmed "factory unlocked". This worked really well actually..... until I reached my early upgrade date :/

on Oct 8th, since I was suddenly eligible to upgrade my line, I no longer had the option to pay full price for an iphone 5 online. I needed more iphones so I went ahead and bought another phone using that early upgrade. the problem is, now when I try to repeat the same trick as before, I get this message:
Quote:
We are unable to upgrade this account.

We are sorry, but this account cannot be upgraded at this time.
looks like this gig is up once you become eligible
ANMA dojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:58 PM   #55
Bonilla
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: México.
Send a message via MSN to Bonilla Send a message via Skype™ to Bonilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosQG View Post
Same question for all the smart people here; I want to buy an unlocked iPhone 5 next week in the US to use in Mexico. Which model should I get?

Thanks!

If you are with Telcel, you must buy a GSM model
Iusacell go for Verizon model.
__________________
13" Macbook Air 1.8Ghz Intel Core i7 | New iPad 32GB Wifi | iPod nano | iPod touch 16GB | iPhone 4S 32GB |
Follow me on Twitter
Bonilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:41 PM   #56
risket
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Can iphone 5 verizon use with t-mobile carrier ?
risket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:07 AM   #57
indyzzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolaubr View Post
If you're a legitimate ATT or VZ user and is not eligible for an upgrade, apple allows you to buy a full price unit.
Read the original post. The guy said he pre-ordered on the 14th (a full price unit). As far as I remember, that was NOT possible on the 14th (preorder)

Here is the original post I was referring to as BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixybengal
We have two 64gb white ATT " device only " from APPLE. Preordered on the 14th, Delivered on Oct 1. Both units are flawless, no dents; no scuffs.
indyzzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:51 PM   #58
stunn3r
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Its been 20 days since i5's launch. I guess everyone would know what I am going to ask:

I am no previous customer of any carrier in US. I am just here for a month. I want GSM model. what should I do. I am in Washington.

1.) go to apple store and ask for a "device-only" . Is it possible in Washington ?

2.) Go to AT&T store ask for off-contract? will you get this in washington? I know that restore it with itunes, you'll get it unlocked.
I could order it from AT&T site by selecting "no-commitment" option, but from there it is necessary for you to choose atleast a month's plan. I dont wanna waste that money on months plan.

3.) Same as AT&T but I am not sure verizon give GSM or not.

So my concern is, I just want a "device-only" or an off-contract GSM - iphone 5 , will it possible in washington with in $649 + taxes ?? I dont want to pay extra bucks for a month plan. THat would be of no use.
stunn3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:22 PM   #59
vbtwo31984
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunn3r View Post
Its been 20 days since i5's launch. I guess everyone would know what I am going to ask:

I am no previous customer of any carrier in US. I am just here for a month. I want GSM model. what should I do. I am in Washington.

1.) go to apple store and ask for a "device-only" . Is it possible in Washington ?

2.) Go to AT&T store ask for off-contract? will you get this in washington? I know that restore it with itunes, you'll get it unlocked.
I could order it from AT&T site by selecting "no-commitment" option, but from there it is necessary for you to choose atleast a month's plan. I dont wanna waste that money on months plan.

3.) Same as AT&T but I am not sure verizon give GSM or not.

So my concern is, I just want a "device-only" or an off-contract GSM - iphone 5 , will it possible in washington with in $649 + taxes ?? I dont want to pay extra bucks for a month plan. THat would be of no use.
If you find it in an Apple Store without reserving online (you must choose a plan with a contract online), you should be able to get it as a device only.

If you don't care about LTE, it should not matter if you get AT&T or Verizon model as they both support the same 3G GSM bands.

AT&T version only supports LTE on AT&T in the US and also in Canada.
Verizon version only supports LTE on Verizon in the US, and also in Japan and some carriers in Europe.

All Verizon models are unlocked for GSM (even if bought with contract), and AT&T models are unlocked if you buy them contract-free from Apple.

Carrier stores would most likely not sell you a phone without a plan, even if you pay full price without a contract, so you'll have to buy it and then call them and cancel your plan (you'll probably have to pay first month and activation fee). Also, if you buy it from AT&T, then it should be locked even if you pay full price and you'd have to contact AT&T to unlock it (or buy a cheap unlock on eBay).
vbtwo31984 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:37 PM   #60
PeterTran
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbtwo31984 View Post
If you find it in an Apple Store without reserving online (you must choose a plan with a contract online), you should be able to get it as a device only.

If you don't care about LTE, it should not matter if you get AT&T or Verizon model as they both support the same 3G GSM bands.

AT&T version only supports LTE on AT&T in the US and also in Canada.
Verizon version only supports LTE on Verizon in the US, and also in Japan and some carriers in Europe.

All Verizon models are unlocked for GSM (even if bought with contract), and AT&T models are unlocked if you buy them contract-free from Apple.

Carrier stores would most likely not sell you a phone without a plan, even if you pay full price without a contract, so you'll have to buy it and then call them and cancel your plan (you'll probably have to pay first month and activation fee). Also, if you buy it from AT&T, then it should be locked even if you pay full price and you'd have to contact AT&T to unlock it (or buy a cheap unlock on eBay).
He knows what he is talking about ^
PeterTran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:20 PM   #61
ANMA dojo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunn3r View Post
I am no previous customer of any carrier in US. I am just here for a month. I want GSM model. what should I do. I am in Washington.

1.) go to apple store and ask for a "device-only" . Is it possible in Washington ?

2.) Go to AT&T store ask for off-contract? will you get this in washington? I know that restore it with itunes, you'll get it unlocked.
I could order it from AT&T site by selecting "no-commitment" option, but from there it is necessary for you to choose atleast a month's plan. I dont wanna waste that money on months plan.
yes, the only issue is figuring out how find one in store to buy D:
ANMA dojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:43 AM   #62
nanchen242
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Ive been calling the 5 major apple stores here in nyc and they all refuse to sell it to me w.o a contract? Why wont they sell it to me full price w.o a contract? Their techinically making more money out of it. Some say its b.c of resellers
nanchen242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:26 PM   #63
PeterTran
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanchen242 View Post
Ive been calling the 5 major apple stores here in nyc and they all refuse to sell it to me w.o a contract? Why wont they sell it to me full price w.o a contract? Their techinically making more money out of it. Some say its b.c of resellers
Wow...i am glad i dont live in nyc...i live in socal and we dont have many or any iphone 5's in stock but i rather not see them than see tham but i cant buy them
PeterTran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:37 PM   #64
futbollisti
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbtwo31984 View Post
If you find it in an Apple Store without reserving online (you must choose a plan with a contract online), you should be able to get it as a device only.

If you don't care about LTE, it should not matter if you get AT&T or Verizon model as they both support the same 3G GSM bands.

AT&T version only supports LTE on AT&T in the US and also in Canada.
Verizon version only supports LTE on Verizon in the US, and also in Japan and some carriers in Europe.

All Verizon models are unlocked for GSM (even if bought with contract), and AT&T models are unlocked if you buy them contract-free from Apple.

Carrier stores would most likely not sell you a phone without a plan, even if you pay full price without a contract, so you'll have to buy it and then call them and cancel your plan (you'll probably have to pay first month and activation fee). Also, if you buy it from AT&T, then it should be locked even if you pay full price and you'd have to contact AT&T to unlock it (or buy a cheap unlock on eBay).
I read all the posts here and something does not add up.
In europe we use GSM not CDMA so how is possible that you guys advise us (europeans, i am in the netherlands right now) to purchase the Verizon version while that is a CDMA version???
I do not see it working in europe...
what am i not considering?
futbollisti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:02 PM   #65
MuGeN PoWeR
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbollisti View Post
I read all the posts here and something does not add up.
In europe we use GSM not CDMA so how is possible that you guys advise us (europeans, i am in the netherlands right now) to purchase the Verizon version while that is a CDMA version???
I do not see it working in europe...
what am i not considering?
It has a sim card slot as well. All you gotta do is insert the sim and you are ready to roll.
MuGeN PoWeR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:22 PM   #66
iPhonesandMacs
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
You cannot buy a phone at apple stores without a contract for now on the iphone 5
Yes you can, me and a close friend bought 18 on launch day and sold them all on eBay... Limit is 2 per person, but he had some friends with us... We weren't even sprint Verizon or AT&T customers... We bought all 18 iPhones AT&T version, and they were all unlocked out of the box...
iPhonesandMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:28 PM   #67
PeterTran
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhonesandMacs View Post
Yes you can, me and a close friend bought 18 on launch day and sold them all on eBay... Limit is 2 per person, but he had some friends with us... We weren't even sprint Verizon or AT&T customers... We bought all 18 iPhones AT&T version, and they were all unlocked out of the box...
so you were the ones who depleted the att iphone 5 stocks )_T
PeterTran is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:42 PM   #68
iPhonesandMacs
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTran View Post
so you were the ones who depleted the att iphone 5 stocks )_T
LoL just at one store lol yes
iPhonesandMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:11 PM   #69
ixybengal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyzzzz View Post
Read the original post. The guy said he pre-ordered on the 14th (a full price unit). As far as I remember, that was NOT possible on the 14th (preorder)

Here is the original post I was referring to as BS.
That's funny. Just because you couldn't get Apple to sell you iphone 5 full price and you called BS. I have attached my invoice receipt from Apple.
Apple store actually put in the order for me on the 14th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Oct 11, 16 06 51.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	368754  
ixybengal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:35 PM   #70
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I was in an Apple Store yesterday and they were going to sell me either an AT&T or Verizon iPhone 5 at full price for use on T-Mobile. I decided to wait for the factory unlocked version to be available.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:09 PM   #71
nanchen242
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx3x View Post
I was in an Apple Store yesterday and they were going to sell me either an AT&T or Verizon iPhone 5 at full price for use on T-Mobile. I decided to wait for the factory unlocked version to be available.
lucky you, here in nyc they have a policy to not sell iphone 5's w.o a contract at all.
nanchen242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:10 PM   #72
PeterTran
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx3x View Post
I was in an Apple Store yesterday and they were going to sell me either an AT&T or Verizon iPhone 5 at full price for use on T-Mobile. I decided to wait for the factory unlocked version to be available.
the att one is factory unlocked at full price.... which store was this btw?
PeterTran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:25 PM   #73
indyzzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixybengal View Post
That's funny. Just because you couldn't get Apple to sell you iphone 5 full price and you called BS. I have attached my invoice receipt from Apple.
Apple store actually put in the order for me on the 14th.
In that case, i stand corrected. But I was referring to the ONLINE pre-order process, not in-store. Congrats on finding a workaround.
indyzzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:42 AM   #74
ixybengal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyzzzz View Post
In that case, i stand corrected. But I was referring to the ONLINE pre-order process, not in-store. Congrats on finding a workaround.
You just have to keep trying. Seems like there are people that are able to purchased the phone full price at certain store or maybe with certain sale's staff. From what I have read, it seems you can also by-pass contract price online and purchase as full price. Which I didn't try so don't quote me on it.
ixybengal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:38 AM   #75
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTran View Post
the att one is factory unlocked at full price.... which store was this btw?
Crabtree Valley Mall.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC