Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:58 PM   #101
mmhardky
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyoo View Post
I find it weird that no one talks about the unlocking services that you can get on eBay. I bought my iPhone 5 on contract with AT&T and just got it unlocked via eBay for less than $5. I was skeptical that this would work but it had so many purchases and I could easily file a dispute if it didn't work. Once I provided my IMEI and they unlocked it, all I had to do was restore my iPhone 5 and I got the "Congrats, your iPhone has been unlocked" screen.
Can anyone else confirm this? Does this really work?
mmhardky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:35 PM   #102
iPhonesandMacs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhardky View Post
Yes It works... And if it doesn't you get your money back
iPhonesandMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:44 PM   #103
bluemonkeyguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
You are wrong, if you look at the iP5 LTE matrix.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

You'll see VZW model share all three LTE bands in EU and Asia (850/1800/2100). The ATT model doesn't. And therefore, the VZW is a better phone for international use.

Now the tricky bit, find an off contract VZW iP5.
Sorry, I meant if you need LTE here in the US and have the unlocked verizon iP5 it wouldn't work.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:22 PM   #104
jekyoo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhardky View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-Apple-F...item2ec2bb7ff7
jekyoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:37 PM   #105
accounti
macrumors member

I have a question ! If I go on the apple store website and try to subscribe for a verizon contract (so I enter my information) and use the reserve and pick up system but then when I go to the store I ask to take it "device only" would it work ?

I'm from France and i'm going to New york ! So I can't take a contract and have to take a verizon iPhone !

Thanking you in advance
accounti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:27 PM   #106
Angellyca
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuGeN PoWeR View Post
It has a sim card slot as well. All you gotta do is insert the sim and you are ready to roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbtwo31984 View Post
Verizon phone works both on CDMA and GSM. It supports all the same GSM frequencies like the GSM-only phone in addition to supporting CDMA and LTE.
I'm new on the forum, from Italy, and know absolutely nothing about CDMA but I'm staying in Texas for a couple of months and I would like to buy an iPhone5 while here. Are you absolutely sure that the Verizon "device only" phone will work in Europe (Italy) with my italian GSM nanosim? And maybe also use the european LTE frequencies when they will start to be used there?
Thanks to everyone able to help me!
Angellyca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:55 PM   #107
MuGeN PoWeR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angellyca View Post
I'm new on the forum, from Italy, and know absolutely nothing about CDMA but I'm staying in Texas for a couple of months and I would like to buy an iPhone5 while here. Are you absolutely sure that the Verizon "device only" phone will work in Europe (Italy) with my italian GSM nanosim? And maybe also use the european LTE frequencies when they will start to be used there?
yes it will work as its already factory unlocked. yes the GSM slot is unlocked. CDMA wont work there. if you buy Verizon/AT&T device only it wil be unlocked!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:25 PM   #108
MuGeN PoWeR
macrumors 6502a

can somebody tell me is Sprint iPhone 5 device only factory unlocked?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:04 PM   #109
Angellyca
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuGeN PoWeR View Post
yes it will work as its already factory unlocked. yes the GSM slot is unlocked. CDMA wont work there. if you buy Verizon/AT&T device only it wil be unlocked!
Thanks
Angellyca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:09 PM   #110
MuGeN PoWeR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks
your welcome!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:20 AM   #111
mbmobile
macrumors member

Quote:
Si, tranquillo, funziona. Non so come potrÓ andare in caso debba essere sostituito con l'AppleCare.

Buon viaggio.
mbmobile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:52 AM   #112
Newbie MacUser
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
You cannot buy a phone at apple stores without a contract for now on the iphone 5
Actually you can. However it can be a temporarily costly maneuver. I used Apple's online reservation system to pay for and reserve on in store. I am technically still under contract with AT&T for my iphone 4S so I qualified for the early upgrade price of $449. So I walked into the store the next day and told them I wanted to purchase it at the full unsubsidized price. They said ok, but I would have to return it and then repurchase it at $649 + tax, and the original $449 + tax would probably stay on my card for about 3 business days. So basically my card had a little over $1200 charged on it when I walked out of the Apple store with a carrier unsubsidized iPhone 5 (AT&T version) because I wanted to keep taking advantage of my grandfathered Unlimited Data plan. The next day I did the online submission to request for an unlock at the following link: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/ And within a couple hours I got an email asking for me to fax in my receipt from the Apple store and a couple hours after that they sent me another email saying I was approved. The email also told me to just connect to itunes and then reset my iPhone and easy as that I had myself a 16GB White iPhone 5.

I'm totally loving it. Battery life is amazing, as I've had it for 1 week exactly now and have only charged the phone 3 times. I've been using the 4G LTE the most and also making calls and texting regularly.
Apple TV 3G (MD199LL/A)
Newbie MacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:13 AM   #113
Newbie MacUser
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhsjon View Post
Ok, so after what Ive read, I have two questions:

1. Does both the unlocked/device only Verizon and AT&T iPhone 5 models cost the same?

2. I live in Norway, will both Verizon and AT&T models work with a GSM carrier over here? I guess the question will be if both will work in Europe?

In this article http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410067,00.asp it says that AT&T will never work with 4G LTE outside of the US, so I guess I should go for the Verizon model so that I have a chance of getting the 4G LTE speed when that comes to Norway?

Thanks in advance for any help
Ok so this is a major question you will have to ask yourself. I know a lot of people on posting are saying get the Verizon A1429 model and use it with a GSM carrier. However I see one major drawback and it may be entirely a personal preference question. Yes the Verizon Model does support more of the native 4G LTE bands which means if you travel a lot or just live in a country outside the U.S. then you will probably want this model. However, the one caveat for me is that the Verizon model DOES NOT allow simultaneous voice and data use (ie. I can't be talking to family or friends while accessing an email or checking a website, or getting directions to get somewhere). Basically if you are a multitasking individual, that wants to be able to do more at the same time, then you may be better off sacrificing the holy grail of 4G LTE speeds for simultaneous voice and data use. To tell you the truth many countries outside the U.S./Europe/Australia don't have extensive 4G LTE coverage and by the time the get decent coverage the iPhone 6 will be out. Remember this isn't you're last iPhone and more than likely you will upgrade it yourself in 1.5 or 2 years at most (at which time the world will be better prepared to supply 4G LTE coverage). I hope this helps.
Apple TV 3G (MD199LL/A)

Last edited by Newbie MacUser; Oct 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Newbie MacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:01 AM   #114
batuyetisener
macrumors newbie

Ok, this is great I have found a topic like this. But I want to clarify something as I do not know the difference between GSM and CDMA.

I live in Turkey but I am in US of a few weeks. So you guys are telling me that I should buy the iPhone 5 Verizon model(device only) which comes already factory unlocked and I can use my phone with GSM carriers in my country without having any problem.

But I read that some guys were telling that verizon does not cover CDMA in europe which is a sentence i have no idea about.

So, basically, can I buy this thing, will it work or not?

thank you

-------------------

Problem solved very simply here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post16167001

Last edited by batuyetisener; Oct 29, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
batuyetisener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:27 AM   #115
Paulsukhu
macrumors newbie

Is it possible for me to walk into an Apple store in the US and buy an unlocked unsubsidized AT&T version iPhone 5 without an AT&T account? Based on what I'm reading, it will be locked until I restore it in iTunes, then I can use a SIM from another carrier. The question is...will they require me to sign up for AT&T service?

Just to contribute to the simultaneous voice/data question- LTE only supports simultaneous voice/data if the voice channel is VoLTE...and carriers are not quite there yet. All iPhone 5 versions only use LTE for data. If you are on a traditional GSM carrier, like AT&T, the device drops back to HSPA+ for simultaneous voice/data. If on a legacy CDMA carrier, like Verizon/Sprint, the device drops back to CDMA and won't do simultaneous voice data. (Apple did not want to add another radio just for CDMA carriers to this...like you can with CDMA and WiFi) That being said, the LTE handsets on the market today are just temporary bridge devices until the carriers move to VoLTE. I expect that the CDMA carriers will be the first to move to VoLTE, but who knows if Apple will support it in the iPhone 6. I bet Samsung will support it first as a differentiator. VoLTE tech is here today, but the carriers need to settle how to commercialize something that is more like Skype and less like a switched voice circuit. Just Google for "VoLTE" to learn more.

It will be a great day when we can buy a handset and use it on our carrier of choice based on price, network performance and customer service (like home ISPs) rather than bringing stuck with a carrier because our handset is locked to that carrier's network.
Paulsukhu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:04 PM   #116
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

I know the Verizon iphone can't do it while on Verizon LTE network. Can the Verizon iPhone 5 model while on a GSM network (i.e. AT&T), do data and voice simultaneously?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:47 PM   #117
matheusmantuano
macrumors newbie

iPhone off contract

Is truth that I can buy a iPhone 5 out of contract in AT&T and Verizon site and plug it in iTunes to unlock ? Has anyone confirmed that these phones are coming unlocked ? Thanks
matheusmantuano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:41 PM   #118
darthpibe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matheusmantuano View Post
Is truth that I can buy a iPhone 5 out of contract in AT&T and Verizon site and plug it in iTunes to unlock ? Has anyone confirmed that these phones are coming unlocked ? Thanks
Hi i want to know this too because im going to usa on november 26 and i want to buy an iphone factory unlocked, thanks for the response.
darthpibe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:43 PM   #119
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by matheusmantuano View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpibe View Post
Hi i want to know this too because im going to usa on november 26 and i want to buy an iphone factory unlocked, thanks for the response.
Yes.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:50 PM   #120
darthpibe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoMac View Post
Yes.
Thanks mate im so happy now.
darthpibe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:35 PM   #121
jshadow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem00se View Post
So if I buy a device only iPhone 5 AT&T model can I use it on T-Mobile?
Yes. As long as it is unlocked when you buy it or you unlock it using the IMEI unlocking services that you can get on eBay for under $8.

edit to add: using the IMEI unlocking services that you can get on eBay for under $8.

Last edited by jshadow; Oct 29, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
jshadow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:31 PM   #122
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

deleted

Last edited by WannaGoMac; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
WannaGoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:19 PM   #123
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Apple store says they don't sell Device Only anymore?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:39 PM   #124
cochon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoMac View Post
Apple store says they don't sell Device Only anymore?
Yes, correct
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:18 PM   #125
Dragunov
macrumors member

In nyc you cannot buy a iphone 5 off contract anywhere period. I've made numerous calls and numerous visits. Please stop telling people they can buy phones regularly
Dragunov is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone