Top Right corner 24 8.66%
Top Left corner 24 8.66%
Bottom Right corner 24 8.66%
Bottom Left corner 35 12.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:13 PM   #101
mpaquette
macrumors regular

Just noticed this on mine last night, lower right corner. Phone is about a week old. Not sure if I'm going to take it to Apple or not.
mpaquette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:49 PM   #102
apptel
macrumors newbie

Mine is doing the exact same thing, center and lower left corner. Any luck with the heating or another "homefix"? Hate to send my phone away again (last time it was for a loose screen), and use my reaaaaalllyy old sony ericsson for a week again...
apptel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:24 PM   #103
Batchy123
macrumors newbie

My phone clicks in both corners near the home button. I ordered my IP5 on the website 699 version. I called the Trafford centre store (Manchester) and they said I could not swap the phone in a store I'd have to go back to the online store and send it back to them. Us this true?

Alternatively I can take it too a Genius Bar but she said its 2-3 weeks wait. Only got the phone yesterday after waiting 6 weeks and paying them 699. Quite frankly for that money I don't expect the phone to click in both corners.

Any advice will help?
Batchy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:32 PM   #104
mpaquette
macrumors regular

After a couple of days of clicking, mine mysteriously stopped clicking today. Weird.
mpaquette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:14 AM   #105
frozzbite
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaquette View Post
After a couple of days of clicking, mine mysteriously stopped clicking today. Weird.
the weather plays a part in my phone's clicking. colder days produces more obvious clicks
frozzbite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:36 AM   #106
cfcboy
macrumors regular

Mine would also click in the cold weather. took it to Genius Bar and to my annoyance it only did it once whilst in the store. Genius said this should'nt be happening and within 5 minutes I was walking out the store with a replcement.

Id advise anyone with this problem to take it to the Apple store for replacement
cfcboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:36 AM   #107
Batchy123
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfcboy View Post
Mine would also click in the cold weather. took it to Genius Bar and to my annoyance it only did it once whilst in the store. Genius said this should'nt be happening and within 5 minutes I was walking out the store with a replcement.

Id advise anyone with this problem to take it to the Apple store for replacement
Yeah but was it a recon or a brand new phone?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:20 PM   #108
cfcboy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchy123 View Post
Yeah but was it a recon or a brand new phone?
Brand New, I think... It was in perfect shape compared to my original
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:11 PM   #109
Batchy123
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfcboy View Post
Brand New, I think... It was in perfect shape compared to my original
which store did u take it back too?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:37 PM   #110
cfcboy
macrumors regular

One in the UK, Basingstoke
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:46 PM   #111
hawkeyefan80
macrumors newbie

Lower left corner here

I noticed on the 2nd or 3rd day after getting my iPhone 5 that when pressing on the lower left corner of the screen it would "click" and clearly there was give to it. Checked out the display models at VZW and they were rock solid so I had them check out my phone. Of course none in stock so they're shipping one out (5 business days). The manager pressed the corner of mine and it made a good clicking noise so they had no problem doing the replacement. I just hope there still aren't any refurbished iPhone 5's out there yet!!
hawkeyefan80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:24 PM   #112
Fudgey Memory
macrumors newbie

Angry My wife's too

And right away when I got it home. Guess I better get Apple Care for this phone.

I took it right back to Best Buy and they gave me another one that wasn't doing it.
Fudgey Memory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:36 PM   #113
UCF Sam
macrumors regular

Two days after release, I exchanged my original launch day iPhone because of this problem... The replacement just started doing this yesterday, top left corner.
UCF Sam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:40 PM   #114
stock28
macrumors member

Mine will click a tiny bit in both upper corners and there is a tiny bit of play. I am very OCD and at first was concerned it would get worse. After searching the web and seeing that the screen is not glued down but appears to be held down with clips, I'm not to worried any more about further problems with it. Also, since the touch sensor is now in the screen I doubt it would have any effect on that. I decided it wasn't worth trying to get it replaced when everything else is perfect and I have zero problems with anything including a pretty good battery life. Just affraid i may end up with more problems then it's worth to me. Just my thoughts and opinions.
stock28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:02 PM   #115
hawkeyefan80
macrumors newbie

Got my replacement on Monday and its solid as a rock. I was OCD about it and I kept pushing on it because I knew it was an issue. It may not make any difference, but Verizon felt it bad enough that they were more than willing to replace it. I'm happier now knowing that the screen is solid!!
hawkeyefan80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:01 AM   #116
Heresiarch
macrumors member

After one month mine got the clicking sound issue too, on the lower right bottom and upper left. For the former after pushing thus clicking it and wait for a few minutes, it'll become "loose" again and then I could push and click once more. For the latter it's consistently making a popping sound if I pinch that corner and then releasse. From the outside the phone otherwise looks perfect, no sticking out of the glass for example, but it's weird nonetheless.

My home button on the otherhand has always been loose for about 3 weeks. The slightest pressure and then release it will make a click sound. And if I pull in the lighting adapter and slightly make it "push" the inside of the home button then the noise goes away. Apparently there's something loose in the home button.
Heresiarch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:08 AM   #117
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Damn it. Mine is doing this crap now too. Out of nowhere, the middle and upper middle part of the screen pop/clicks. I didn't drop it, or anything like that.

its been doing it for a couple days now. I was kind of hoping it would go away on its own. Seems to be getting worse. Most are quiet pops. But then randomly it will be a loud pop that sounds like you cracked your knuckles.

So much for my joy in finally getting an iPhone that was problem free.

Every single iphone i've owned has had some kind of defect that needed replacing, except the very first.

GAH!
aphexacid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:44 PM   #118
syd430

Another one here. Top right corner. In addition to a pop sound and obvious give when pushing in that area, you can see it slightly lifted when viewing from the side.

No plans to return at this stage as I'm almost certain the replacement with have some sort of worse problem.

Already on my third. And my thinking is that if it switches on and is functional then it's good enough. You can't expect anymore in terms of QC with apple.

Last edited by syd430; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:34 PM   #119
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

I just picked up my iPhone 5 and felt this (top right)

It's not really making any noise.

If it gets any worse, I'll go to the Genius Bar
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:46 PM   #120
ixodes
macrumors 601

We have several iPhone 5 models at work that do this. It seems to be a normal characteristic of this phone.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:31 PM   #121
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

The top of my iPhone 5 does this, but you have to push on it. Who is going to push on their screen? Seeing how so many others have this, I'll pass it off as normal, as mine phone is fine. Rather not exchange it (again) and get a real problem.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:57 AM   #122
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Mine only does when I push kinda hard near the top. But it's definitely an air bubble, cuz I can more or less "squeeze" and flatten everything by rolling my fingers up. That takes care of it for a while.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:10 AM   #123
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

My first iPhone 5 was clicking, so I took it to the Apple Store. They replaced it no questions asked. The only problem was I am pretty sure I got a refurbished iPhone because it now clicks way worse than my first one. Going back again tonight to get it replaced. Hope I get lucky and get a good one, but doubting that...

Sad when we try to live with obvious flaws because the fear that the new replacement from Apple could be worse. Amazing how things have changed.
Zac7 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:23 AM   #124
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if I would have better luck getting a new iPhone versus a warranty replacement/refurbished at a Verizon service center or do they replace iPhones with the white refurbished boxes?

Last edited by Zac7; Dec 5, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Zac7 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:14 AM   #125
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac7 View Post
Anyone know if I would have better luck getting a new iPhone versus a warranty replacement/refurbished at a Verizon service center or do they replace iPhones with the white refurbished boxes?
Refurbs have a brand new casing and battery, as opposed to your current phone which has a used casing and battery.

Couple that with the fact that most other OEMs for phones, laptops, TV's etc will ask you to actually hand your item in so they can repair it over a couple of weeks, I'd say you're getting a pretty good deal.

Your current phone is used. Why do you deserve a brand new phone just because it requires repair?

If your BMW developed a fault 9 months in are you going to go back to BMW and ask them to give you a brand new car off the showroom?

Just go and get a refurb and be grateful that Apple arn't making you hand it in for a 2-4 week repair like every other OEM.

Again, the refurbs are in some aspects newer than your current phone. I've gone through 2 refurbs for iphone 4 and another 2 for my iphone 5. Each one was identical to brand new, it's impossible to tell the difference.

Also refurbs are not inferior in quality or have higher fault rates. They they are made to the exact same standard as a new phone. If you got 2 bad refurbs in a row then the same could of happened when getting 2 new phones.

Honestly, look at my post history, I complain about every a lot aspects about iPhones. Complaining about getting a refurb is a bit much though and I see it all the time here.

Last edited by syd430; Dec 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
  1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone