Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:05 AM   #1
KiiD
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
iPhone sales vs. S3 sales?

What were the weekend sales when the galaxy s3 first came out? I know iPhone topped 5 million units this weekend but I just wanted to compare them to the Galaxy's weekend sales. Anybody have a legitimate website that gives this information?
KiiD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:09 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Some idea:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/09/06...ce-may-launch/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...es-mark-early/
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:15 AM   #3
apierrec
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/24/apple_announces_iphone_5_sales_top_5m_on_first_weekend

5 million for iP5 *disappointingly low *

5 for 5
apierrec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Preed08
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Not as good as apples, but better than any other phone...
Preed08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiiD View Post
What were the weekend sales when the galaxy s3 first came out? I know iPhone topped 5 million units this weekend but I just wanted to compare them to the Galaxy's weekend sales. Anybody have a legitimate website that gives this information?
It took the S3 almost 2 months to sell 10 Million units. The iPhone 5 sold half of that (5 million) in one weekend. Keep in mind it still hasnt gone on sale in china which is the iPhones biggest market as well as other countries. Then there are those like me here in the USA that are waiting for the unlocked version to be released next month.
__________________
iPhone 5 (White 64GB) ; MBP 2.2Ghz i7 Quad-core,16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD; TV 3
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:34 AM   #6
apierrec
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
It took the S3 almost 2 months to sell 10 Million units. The iPhone 5 sold half of that (5 million) in one weekend. Keep in mind it still hasnt gone on sale in china which is the iPhones biggest market as well as other countries. Then there are those like me here in the USA that are waiting for the unlocked version to be released next month.
People like me who are screwed up or eagerly waiting for BB etc ... personally, so I could purchase it via my no interest rewards account *sigh BB's pre-order / iPhone launch sale system is a mess - never again at BB-I'll plan & save up, but it cash next time / preorder at Apple*
apierrec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:37 AM   #7
blackbirdz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Honestly, what's good about S3? The only good about it is because it "almost" looks like an iPhone. The phone itself is cheap plastic, no offense - but it's reality. And the UI is gloomy with neon color everywhere.
blackbirdz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:41 AM   #8
auero
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I love my iPhone so don't confuse me for a fandroid. I like both platforms equally.

It's not necessarily an equal comparison between the two phones. Samsung makes MANY phones in a year compared to Apple releasing one. The point is android users have a choice in screen size, style etc... While we have only one every year. Still very good numbers by apple.
auero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:41 AM   #9
appswipe
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Its always weird how Apple users are so obsessed with the success/failure of products that they would never buy.

Personally, Im a lot more interested in Black vs White sales than iPhone vs S3 because why should I care about a phone that I wasnt in the market to buy?
appswipe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Dolorian
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdz View Post
Honestly, what's good about S3? The only good about it is because it "almost" looks like an iPhone.
The S3 looks nothing like an iPhone.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:50 AM   #11
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
The S3 looks nothing like an iPhone.
Good catch of the troll there.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
The S3 looks nothing like an iPhone.
Only similarity between the two is that Samsung stole the home button.
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:59 AM   #13
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000
 
pgiguere1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Samsung doesn't release sales numbers, only shipped, so we won't really know.
pgiguere1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:03 AM   #14
raremage
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
Only similarity between the two is that Samsung stole the home button.
That's true, unless you count things like multiple virtual screens, a grid of icons, a dock that stays consistent across the screens, multi-touch, gestures, and on, and on...

I understand that the smartphone is an amalgamation of innovations that have been developed by multiple sources, but why deny there is similarity? There are many places where these devices cross over.
raremage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:06 AM   #15
physicsguy13
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Huntiingon Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by appswipe View Post
Its always weird how Apple users are so obsessed with the success/failure of products that they would never buy.

Personally, Im a lot more interested in Black vs White sales than iPhone vs S3 because why should I care about a phone that I wasnt in the market to buy?
I think the Samsung ads making fun of iPhone users while advertising the S3 and the Note probably have something to do with it. Personally, I don't really care how many phones either of them sell just that whatever phone I have works for me.
physicsguy13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:12 AM   #16
appswipe
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raremage View Post
That's true, unless you count things like multiple virtual screens, a grid of icons, a dock that stays consistent across the screens, multi-touch, gestures, and on, and on...

I understand that the smartphone is an amalgamation of innovations that have been developed by multiple sources, but why deny there is similarity? There are many places where these devices cross over.
But you didn't describe an iPhone. You described the generic template that has been develoed and evolved for years in products that came BEFORE the iPhone. Just because they are in the same class doesn't mean they are necessarily similar.

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to prove but whatever it is, it sounds pointless and bitter.
appswipe is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:13 AM   #17
KiiD
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Me personally like iPhones better than Andriods. I use to be a fandriod but every single time I bought one after excessive use of app download, streaming movies, data use it always started to lag n freeze up. Apple is much more simplistic and powerful at the same time. I also love that its the only one of its kind where u have all these other phones running Andriod doing the exact same thing. I also love that the iPhone has its own App Store n has more apps than the play store!
KiiD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:15 AM   #18
NewGuyHere
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I find it funny how you guys are always comparing phones, that shows that you're very insecure on how you feel apple is vs samsung and other phone companies. If you were so confident in apple being the Tyrant, then why worry about other sales?
__________________
iPhone 5 White 13" Early 2011 MBP 13" Nexus 7
NewGuyHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:16 AM   #19
apierrec
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Samsung doesn't release sales numbers, only shipped, so we won't really know.
Saw gazillion SIII plastics on display in B & M stores, they counted them as sold?

Was shocked to see some plasticky cell phones bigger than some people's face. lol
apierrec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:18 AM   #20
Dolorian
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by appswipe View Post
But you didn't describe an iPhone. You described the generic template that has been develoed and evolved for years in products that came BEFORE the iPhone. Just because they are in the same class doesn't mean they are necessarily similar.
Exactly.

Sure there are similarities, yes both Apple and Google have taken cues from each other when it comes to developing their respective OSes, but some of the Apple fans here act as if it is only Apple that innovates and comes up with new stuff and everyone else just copies. It goes both ways.

WIth regards to Samsung, I think it is fair to say that with the first Galaxy and to some extent the SII they were following too closely on Apple's footsteps. But I think that with the S3 (and the Note II) Samsung has finally come into it's own and has found it's own distinctive style. I sure hope they stick to it and refine it over the next iterations.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:22 AM   #21
KiiD
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
I want to know about both phones so I can state both of their weakness and strength when the opportunity presents itself.. When your like me you have nothing but iPhone haters who love Andriods simply cause they can't afford the iPhone or don't know how to use it after they have one. So all I hear Is negativity about my phone so I try to back it up. But don't get me wrong I love things that the s3 has like Picture in Picture I think that's an AMAZING feature. But to me I think iPhone(apple) is just more superior to other phones
KiiD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:23 AM   #22
apierrec
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Silly phones, what have you done to the humanity.
apierrec is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:23 AM   #23
mantan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: By Grabthar's Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuyHere View Post
I find it funny how you guys are always comparing phones, that shows that you're very insecure on how you feel apple is vs samsung and other phone companies. If you were so confident in apple being the Tyrant, then why worry about other sales?
And even more funny is how the people who LOVED those "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC commercials' get defensive about the S3 ads.

BTW, I don't own a Mac and LOVED those ads. I own an iPhone and LOVE the Samsung 'Launch Day' ads....they really did a nice job.
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:31 AM   #24
Dolorian
macrumors 65816
 
Dolorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
I own an iPhone and LOVE the Samsung 'Launch Day' ads....they really did a nice job.
I think the recent SIII ad is great and everyone I have shown it to that currently owns an iPhone has enjoyed it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by apierrec View Post
Saw gazillion SIII plastics on display in B & M stores, they counted them as sold?

Was shocked to see some plasticky cell phones bigger than some people's face. lol
Funny to see people bashing the SIII due to "plastic" and yet these same people were drooling over iMacs, MacBooks and other Apple devices that were also "plastic".

Both are polycarbonate and yet if Samsung or some other company uses the material it is "cheap" and "crap" but if Apple uses it, it is all good.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.5GHz
Google Nexus 7 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Dolorian is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:38 AM   #25
mjpearce023
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I bought the iPhone 5 but honestly I was hoping the sales would not be that good. I think Apple needs a bit of a wakeup call but they will probably be happy as long as they do more than the 4s. Overall I guess I am happy with the 5 but I think it had the potential to be more than it was. If the S3 had as good of a screen as the iPhone 5 or the HTC One X I would probably have one right now.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
I think the recent SIII ad is great and everyone I have shown it to that currently owns an iPhone has enjoyed it.
I think the ads are good overall and I got a chuckle the first time I saw it but I still don't get why Samsung would want to advertise how much more popular another phone is than the S3. I liked the S3 commercials better when they just showed off the phone instead of trying to go after Apple. It makes them look a little desperate.

Last edited by dejo; Sep 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.
mjpearce023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Analysts Predict Q2 2014 Decline in iPad Sales, Slight Increase in iPhone Sales MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 73 Apr 21, 2014 09:56 PM
iPhone Accounts for 77% of Smartphone Sales, 62% of All Postpaid Phone Sales at AT&T in 3Q 2012 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 69 Oct 25, 2012 02:57 PM
iPhone Represents 73% of Smartphone Sales, 55% of All Postpaid Phone Sales at AT&T in 2Q 2012 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 66 Jul 25, 2012 02:16 PM
Samsung sales Crushed Apple Iphone Sales (Suggested) bobenhaus Wasteland 25 Jul 18, 2012 07:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC