Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:57 AM   #1
BazookaJoeX9
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 stuck in headphone mode

This is my first iPhone and overall I'm really enjoying it. Though yesterday my phone went into "headphone mode." I have never used a pair of headphones with it yet.
I looked up the problem and tried plugging in headphones a couple of times. Turned Bluetooth on and off a few times. Blew into the headphone jack. Restarted the phone. Backed up the phone and factory reset it. Nothing. I don't see anything in the headphone jack like dust or lint.

Any else having this problem? Should I take it to the Apple store?
BazookaJoeX9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Adam2k90
macrumors newbie

Ring Apple support and see what they say
Adam2k90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:58 AM   #3
raremage
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaJoeX9 View Post
This is my first iPhone and overall I'm really enjoying it. Though yesterday my phone went into "headphone mode." I have never used a pair of headphones with it yet.
I looked up the problem and tried plugging in headphones a couple of times. Turned Bluetooth on and off a few times. Blew into the headphone jack. Restarted the phone. Backed up the phone and factory reset it. Nothing. I don't see anything in the headphone jack like dust or lint.

Any else having this problem? Should I take it to the Apple store?
This happened to me once on an older model. Try rebooting the phone and see if that fixes it (this fixed it for me). If it recurs you're probably looking at a trip to the Apple store.
raremage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:08 AM   #4
BazookaJoeX9
macrumors newbie

Looks like I'm heading to the Apple Store.

Would it be weird to expect something free like a iTunes gift card if they can't fix it? Closest one is 45 min to me.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:14 AM   #5
forza1976
macrumors member

When this happened to me on my iphone 4 I simply had to re-plug in the headphones and then unplug and all was good. Might try that.
forza1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:26 AM   #6
ethicka
macrumors newbie

My earpiece never worked when I got my iPhone last Friday. Went to the Apple Store yesterday and they gave me a replacement on the spot. Mine, at least, was faulty hardware.
ethicka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
BazookaJoeX9
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicka View Post
My earpiece never worked when I got my iPhone last Friday. Went to the Apple Store yesterday and they gave me a replacement on the spot. Mine, at least, was faulty hardware.
Was this an iPhone 5? I'm worried if I need a replacement the Apple store will be out.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:54 AM   #8
toekneeg
macrumors newbie

Blow out the headphone jack with some high air pressure. You may have gotten water in it and is still messed up. Blow it out and if that doesn't work go get a replacement.
toekneeg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:34 PM   #9
melterx12
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptboch521 View Post
Hi everyone

The page beatsuksales.com ......... http://www.beatsuksales.com/

IT IS RELIABLEImage

ALL ORIGINAL CLAIMED
AYUDENMEEEEEEEEEEEE
PLEASE
Thank you in advance and best wishes!!
crack is a powerful drug.
melterx12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Komodo-jb2
macrumors newbie

I have problems with my new iPhone 5 headphone jack as well, I am getting a lot of "clicks" like its not making good contact or the the jack is messed up also the controls on the headphones won't function, apple is replacing it with a new phone just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem
Komodo-jb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:48 AM   #11
mcintron79
macrumors newbie

New iphone 5 headphone jack issues too..

I just got my iphone in the mail yesterday and I turned it on. After setting it up and restoring from icloud I started to play with the phone. I noticed that I couldnt hear Suri --odd?
It took a while to realize that the phone was stuck in "headset mode" and I handn't even tried the new headphones that it came with. I went on a few forums to see if I could resolve the issue and tried all the tricks but had no luck. I am wondering now if maybe a handful of phones have this same problem?
Please let me know what apple tells you.

Thanks!
mcintron79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:31 PM   #12
zeebagpuss
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toekneeg View Post
Blow out the headphone jack with some high air pressure. You may have gotten water in it and is still messed up. Blow it out and if that doesn't work go get a replacement.
many thanx for that... I slipped in the snow whilst on my phone and dropped it in a pile of snow.. had this problem since i got home

thanks again
zeebagpuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:39 PM   #13
yellowphone
macrumors newbie

Toilet Dunk

Posting as yellow phone because I reached this forum when my iPhone 5 slipped off my belt in its leather case and into the toilet during 'zip up'.
VERY quick recovery, out of belt case and into towel. All electronics live but stuck in headphone mode. Came here, learned to try air blast but not enough.
Cure - a 1.5 inch by 2 inch piece of "Kleenex" rolled up between finger and thumb to approximate diameter of headphone jack.
Insert into jack and twirl. Repeated 3-4 times with fresh dry pieces of Kleenex.
Works fine now.
Also, rinsed case quickly in warm water, patted dry and put in 'frost-free' fridge for about 4 hours. OK now.
yellowphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:53 AM   #14
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowphone View Post
Posting as yellow phone because I reached this forum when my iPhone 5 slipped off my belt in its leather case and into the toilet during 'zip up'.
VERY quick recovery, out of belt case and into towel. All electronics live but stuck in headphone mode. Came here, learned to try air blast but not enough.
Cure - a 1.5 inch by 2 inch piece of "Kleenex" rolled up between finger and thumb to approximate diameter of headphone jack.
Insert into jack and twirl. Repeated 3-4 times with fresh dry pieces of Kleenex.
Works fine now.
Also, rinsed case quickly in warm water, patted dry and put in 'frost-free' fridge for about 4 hours. OK now.
Generally at least a few days in a bag of uncooked rice (with the phone powered off) would be a better idea for most.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2014, 03:29 PM   #15
robwilliams14
macrumors newbie

After noticing this problem this evening and not being able to concentrate on ANYTHING until I had done everything possible to fix it I stumbled upon a few sites that recommended the various methods discussed...

After trying these for about half an hour to no avail, a piece of lint/crap eventually came out after twizzling a piece of toilet paper in the audio plug for the 20th time!

I got lucky but it worked!
robwilliams14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone