Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
I removed my optical drive, and added a Samsung 830 SSD to my iMac. My iMac is the model before there was two SATA connectors on the logic board, so that is why I swapped out my optical drive. I was wondering if there would be a difference if overall performance if I swapped out the HD for the SSD, rather than the optical drive?

cyrways

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
I removed my optical drive, and added a Samsung 830 SSD to my iMac. My iMac is the model before there was two SATA connectors on the logic board, so that is why I swapped out my optical drive. I was wondering if there would be a difference if overall performance if I swapped out the HD for the SSD, rather than the optical drive?

I remember hearing somewhere that the dvd port is sata two and the others are sata 3, but i only knew this about the 2011 and i'm not sure if it's true. The model/year of your imac might help too though so specific information can be provided.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
I remember hearing somewhere that the dvd port is sata two and the others are sata 3, but i only knew this about the 2011 and i'm not sure if it's true. The model/year of your imac might help too though so specific information can be provided.

Its an early 2010 model.

cyrways

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
Its an early 2010 model.

According to my research, your model only has sata rev 2.0, so you are limited to 3 Gbit/s I believe. But you can always go under the "about this mac" and system report and see the negotiated link speed with your SSD to be sure of your speeds since it's already connected.

Bendrix

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
Looks like the 2010 iMacs have only SATA 2: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1181806/

You won't be getting full performance out of your SSD, as the poster above said. If you want, you could get a PCIe SATA 3 card for your SSD. And if you don't use your optical drive, you could have an HDD and SSD in your machine.

Or just have one SSD going at SATA 2 speed coupled with just an HDD or ODD. I would go with SSD and HDD.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Looks like the 2010 iMacs have only SATA 2: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1181806/

You won't be getting full performance out of your SSD, as the poster above said. If you want, you could get a PCIe SATA 3 card for your SSD. And if you don't use your optical drive, you could have an HDD and SSD in your machine.

Or just have one SSD going at SATA 2 speed coupled with just an HDD or ODD. I would go with SSD and HDD.

I have the SSD/HDD combo currently, with the iMacs original HDD used mostly for iTunes and iPhoto, and ML running off the SSD, which replaced the optical drive. I was just wondering if the two were reversed, would there be any difference.

I noticed Im not getting the full power of the SSD, because when I ran Blackmagic, I would only get about 250 mb/s. It still runs fast though. I get boot ups in less than 13 seconds, and programs open quick, I just get a few glitches sometimes, and I wondering if it had to do with the SSD in the optical drives spot. If my iMac is running for a while, I get a slight delay when using Mission Control. Or when I right click something, and go to open with, the list of options to open with is delayed.

Bendrix

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
I have the SSD/HDD combo currently, with the iMacs original HDD used mostly for iTunes and iPhoto, and ML running off the SSD, which replaced the optical drive. I was just wondering if the two were reversed, would there be any difference.

I noticed Im not getting the full power of the SSD, because when I ran Blackmagic, I would only get about 250 mb/s. It still runs fast though. I get boot ups in less than 13 seconds, and programs open quick, I just get a few glitches sometimes, and I wondering if it had to do with the SSD in the optical drives spot. If my iMac is running for a while, I get a slight delay when using Mission Control. Or when I right click something, and go to open with, the list of options to open with is delayed.

The difference in SATA speeds is probably pretty negligible. I don't think it matters that you're using the one that was originally occupied by the ODD. If it ain't broke, I wouldn't go opening up your iMac again just to switch your connections.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
No difference

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.