Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
For me it blows my mind that some very basic features arent on this phone yet.

1. Calendar events on the lock screen
2. Being able to set the user agent for Safari
3. Being able to set a default application for certain files
4. Notification icons on the status bar

These are the 4 things that really bug me and why I jailbreak. What bugs you?

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
For me it blows my mind that some very basic features arent on this phone yet.

1. Calendar events on the lock screen
2. Being able to set the user agent for Safari
3. Being able to set a default application for certain files
4. Notification icons on the status bar

These are the 4 things that really bug me and why I jailbreak. What bugs you?

Attachments in email! I always find myself wanted to send an excel and PDF that I either received or I worked on, but having to go back to my laptop to complete it.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
The pull down menu from galaxy s2 which is probably patented so never mind :). Apples pull down menu is useless cause all it has is weather.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
-Quick access to settings (brightness, wifi, bluetooth). I put them in the notification center when jailbroken but it'd be fine if they put it in the multitasking bar instead
-Dynamic app icons like clock and weather. This is arguably more complicated though since developers will want the ability to make dynamic app icons and this could lead to a home page clusterfunk or have a big impact on battery life/data usage.

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
-Quick access to settings (brightness, wifi, bluetooth). I put them in the notification center when jailbroken but it'd be fine if they put it in the multitasking bar instead

I agree, multitasking bar for wifi and BT would be awesome. DnD mode would be great there too.

zeyank

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
Geowhaaa

I want a geo-fenced PIN lock. When I am at home, I don't have to enter a PIN to unlock my iPhone, when I leave the house I want it to enable the PIN lock in case it gets stolen. Pretty simple, no?

Garrett67

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Its only on my mind because it was brought up in this review.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3363238/iphone-5-review

There are also missed opportunities. Apple has opened social sharing options up to Twitter and Facebook, which is wonderful, but everyone else is out in the cold. Want to save a file to a Dropbox folder? Read an article later using Pocket? Post a picture to Tumblr right from the browser? Sorry, that's not possible. There may be some hacky bookmarklet to accomplish the task, but I can't imagine anyone believes that a kludgy line of JavaScript is the most elegant way to accomplish those tasks. And by the way, these are things I do every day on my phone, and things that I know lots of other people do. They may be fringe to Apple's target user, but they are a real part of the market at large. They are the part of the market pushing what smartphones are capable of and what they mean to users.

Apple also leaves developers empty-handed on widgets. It provides the minimally useful weather and stock widgets for the notification drawer, but isn't opening up that space to anyone else. And I must mention this — the fact that the weather icon continues to read 73 degrees and sunny when it is clearly possible to have icons update with at least some information (see the calendar icon) is now laughable at best, and sad at worst.

And what about actionable notifications? Notifications in Jelly Bean can be acted on without having to jump into an app, which is a fantastic addition to Android. I use them all the time. I would have loved to see Apple innovate in this area — especially considering the fact that iOS multitasking still doesn't represent an "always on" experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.