Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:03 PM   #1
sixxmum
macrumors 6502

Can an unlocked ATT iPhone 4 be used on Verizon?

I'm reading conflicting things. Some sites seem to be saying that an unlocked phone can be used on any network, others seem to say not. If not, what networks *can* an unlocked ATT iPhone be used on?
sixxmum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2
mbsaeger
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mbsaeger Send a message via Skype™ to mbsaeger
An unlocked iPhone 4 can be used on either CDMA carries or GSM carriers depending on which radio is in it.. The iPhone 4S (unlocked) can theoretically be used on any carrier as it has both radios.
mbsaeger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:10 PM   #3
rritterson
macrumors 6502

No.

Unlike the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 4 had two models, a GSM model and a CDMA model.

AT&T uses the GSM standard, and an unlocked AT&T phone will work on any GSM network worldwide, which includes T-Mobile and nearly every carrier worldwide except Sprint, Verizon, and one Japanese carrier.

The iPhone 4S has a dual GSM/CDMA chip in it, so one model works on all networks. However, if you activate it on Sprint or Verizon, you are stuck with that carrier in the USA. Sprint or Verizon will unlock the SIM slot for you to use international GSM carriers though, so you can travel and avoid expensive international roaming charges. AT&T 4S's don't have the CDMA side active, so an unlocked version still won't work with Verizon, though, like the iPhone 4, will work with just about any network worldwide.
rritterson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:15 PM   #4
sixxmum
macrumors 6502

Ok, got it. So any GSM network. Thank you!
sixxmum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Idefix
macrumors 6502

as far as I know, Apple only sells unlocked iPhones in the GSM version.

No unlocked iPhones come in cdma.
Idefix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:33 AM   #6
vpqmom
macrumors newbie

Question used on Verizon's U.S. network?

so can an unlocked Verizon iphone 4s be used in the U.S. on Verizon's network? I would like to use the iPhone as a cellphone and use wifi only, without getting a data plan. (we already pay enough in data fees for my husband and son! =-) I do NOT want their data share plan. )
vpqmom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpqmom View Post
so can an unlocked Verizon iphone 4s be used in the U.S. on Verizon's network? I would like to use the iPhone as a cellphone and use wifi only, without getting a data plan. (we already pay enough in data fees for my husband and son! =-) I do NOT want their data share plan. )
There's no such thing as an unlocked verizon 4S. All verizon 4S iphones are locked to verizon. If you get an iphone any iphone and try to activate it on verizon the data plan is mandatory. Even though you might not want it or need it they will make you pay for one or you wont be able to activate it on your verizon account.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Two problems:

1. The iPhone 4 came in CDMA-only and GSM-only variants. So even unlocked, an AT&T iPhone 4 won't work on any CDMA network.

2. Verizon will not, as a rule, activate a phone if its MEID is not in their inventory.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:20 PM   #9
toadc69
macrumors newbie

Muchos Gracias!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Two problems:

1. The iPhone 4 came in CDMA-only and GSM-only variants. So even unlocked, an AT&T iPhone 4 won't work on any CDMA network.
Thank you, will have to advise them to eBay that iPhone 4 or dump verizon.

toadc69 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone