Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
OK, I have a 6th gen iPod nano that has developed an issue. The sleep/wake button seems to be "weaker" than it used to be. It's feels like as if the return spring for the button is weakening. The tactile feel of the button is basically gone.

The volume buttons still feel strong.

I've looked on line, and there are some reports where the button just stops working. I read one account where the button felt weaker, but eventually failed.

So I plan on taking it to an Apple Store to see what they'll do. It's still under the warranty (barely), but I don't want to lose my Nike+ data.

Do you think, if they swapped my nano, they'd let me connect it to a Mac to transfer my data from the old nano to a new one? Alternatively, would they send one in the mail with a pre-paid box for the old one? That way, I could do the data swap myself.

ft

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Update - the button finally broke. The nano still works otherwise. I have to use my Nike+ receiver to wake it up.

I've scheduled a Genius appointment for today to get a replacement. Hopefully they have blue ones left.

I'm bringing my laptop with me to back up my data before I give it to the genius. We'll see how successful I am in transferring the data onto the replacement.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just in case anyone cares, I got a new replacement nano under warranty. I had 11 days left on the warranty. Now I have a brand new nano ... awesome.

I was able to back up my Nike data and get it onto the new nano. No problems.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Congrats. It's always a good feeling when things work out. You got to keep your Nike+ data and you got a new nano.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Had the same problem with my nano this week. It was well out of the Apple one year but I had the Best Buy Geek Squad Black Tie protection plan (2 year). Best Buy said they would just replace it. They didn't have any in stock and after ten minuets of searching they found another store that had one in stock and lucky for me it was the same color. Only draw back is I had to drive 45 min to get it. But it was better imo then waiting because they told me if I wanted for the new stock to come in I would be getting the new version (7th gen) which I knew I didn't want at all. I wear my nano as a watch and have over $150 in watch bands. Well just glad I got this taken care of before it was to late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.