Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released Apple TV Software Update 5.1 for 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TV models. The release has build number 10A406e. The biggest changes include support for Shared Photo Streams, the ability to send audio content from the Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs), and the ability to switch between multiple iTunes accounts.

NewImage39.png

Apple has updated the Apple TV Software Update webpage with full details:
Shared Photo Streams - Accept invitations for Shared Photo Streams, browse photos and comments, and receive notifications of new content.

AirPlay - Send audio content from Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs). Also includes the ability to require an onscreen code to use AirPlay with your Apple TV.

iTunes account switching - Save multiple iTunes accounts and switch quickly between them.

Trailers - Search movie trailers. In the United States, see show times for local theaters.

Screen savers - New Cascade, Shrinking Tiles, and Sliding Panels screen savers.

Main menu - Reorder icons on the second page by holding down the select button on the remote.

Subtitles - SDH support for the deaf and hard-of-hearing as well as improvements to viewing and selecting subtitles.

Network configuration - Support for setting up advanced network options using configuration profiles. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5437 for more information.

Stability and performance - Includes general performance and stability improvements.
The Apple TV can be updated directly on the unit by going to the Settings menu, then General, then selecting Update Software.

The last Apple TV update was released back in June.

Article Link: Apple Releases 5.1 Update for 2nd and 3rd Generation Apple TV

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Thumbs up for being allowed to switch iTunes accounts! Up to now our ATV had shut out my wife and daughter, who have their own accounts and music.

marioguarneros

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Can it be configured through a VPN now?

Does this mean that I can now somehow manage to connect my Apple TV to a VPN while getting wifi through my Airport Express?

That would be really cool.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Where is the NFL? I shut down Dish expecting the NFL network would come to the Apple TV. Now that the season is here, I will have to get dish again. Come on apple, you have the other sports, WE NEED THE NFL!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Very pleased to see account switching now! Thanks Apple!

And also glad to see more subtitle support. However, exactly what does this entail in the update? I know some iTunes movies I own have subtitles already and show fine as it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.