Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:19 PM   #1
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

iPhone 5 Vibrate is inconsistent

I've got my iPhone 5 switched on silent with vibrate enabled. I noticed this happen a couple times today, as I had my phone laying flat on my desk. When someone calls, the first 2 vibrate "rings" seem stronger, and the rest of them are audibly and noticeably softer, but remain consistent. Does anyone else notice this? Or is my phone faulty?

Edit: Actually, the first vibrate is really strong. The second one sounds like its dying. The third and subsequent vibrates are softer but the same.
ritmomundo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:36 PM   #2
bhimpele
macrumors member

It would be nice if there was a way to adjust the strength of the vibrate. Mine is so strong that when it vibrates on my desk at work, it sounds like a helicopter.
bhimpele is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Anyone else willing to test their phone's vibrate and see if it has the same thing?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhimpele View Post
It would be nice if there was a way to adjust the strength of the vibrate. Mine is so strong that when it vibrates on my desk at work, it sounds like a helicopter.
Is it consistent though? Or does it sound like a helicopter flying away? Mine's not that loud to begin with, but the vibrate gets weaker after the first 1-2 seconds.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:02 PM   #4
LWP777
macrumors member

I've noticed that the vibration seems stronger on the IP5 than my 4s. I'm not a fan of that. I turned vibration off completely which sucks because I can't really hear my phone when it's in my pocket.
LWP777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:22 PM   #5
ChesneyHawkes
macrumors newbie

You can make your own custom vibration in settings, maybe that would help?
ChesneyHawkes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:23 PM   #6
ixodes
macrumors 601

The vibration feature on mine is working quite well. It's just fine with me.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:26 PM   #7
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesneyHawkes View Post
You can make your own custom vibration in settings, maybe that would help?
I tried making one, but it doesn't seem to help. It sounds like the battery is slowly dying (which its not). Imagine an electric toothbrush, and how it sounds when the battery is just about to die. That's what this vibrate sounds like.

Another thing- When I was playing with the ringtone settings, I also noticed that every time I played a ringtone sound (with vibrate enabled), there was a short but very loud buzz right at the start. It sounds like when you put your fingernail (or some object) into a very small plastic fan, and you get a high pitched buzzing sound. Thats what I'm reminded of. I'm now convinced 99.99999% sure this is not normal and I don't feel like waiting to see if it resolves on its own. I'll stop by the Apple Store tonight and get a replacement.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:22 PM   #8
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

I checked in the store today, and all 3 display models I played with had the same buzzing noise that I was so confident was a defect. looks like that is the case in all the phones. I still have the vibrate fading issue, but I'll have to wait til they get more in stock before getting a replacement.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9
MVallee
macrumors 6502a

I noticed this with my 5 as well. I always keep my phone on vibrate and with my 4 I could hear the vibrate from across the room. On the 5 its way softer and when it rings its like each vibrate starts out strong and trails off, starts strong and trails off (like a battery dying towards the end). I don't know if this is a defect or not. I don't want the vibrate motor to die but I don't really want to exchange it since it has no other issues (no chips, scratches, screen issues, nothing).
MVallee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:50 AM   #10
MediaPlex
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
I've got my iPhone 5 switched on silent with vibrate enabled. I noticed this happen a couple times today, as I had my phone laying flat on my desk. When someone calls, the first 2 vibrate "rings" seem stronger, and the rest of them are audibly and noticeably softer, but remain consistent. Does anyone else notice this? Or is my phone faulty?

Edit: Actually, the first vibrate is really strong. The second one sounds like its dying. The third and subsequent vibrates are softer but the same.
This just started happening to my iPhone 5. Purchased it in October 2012, symptoms that you describe began early April 2013. I have not updated IOS on my phone since the purchase - its running vanilla IOS as it was shipped to me.

I havent created or changed vibrations on the phone, using standard. So I cant understand this noticeable change. You describe it perfectly, sounds like its dying. Then suddenly its back, much more peppy than the dying vibrate. Happens when I get a text message AND when I use the silent/vibrate switch on the side.

ADDITIONAL: My phone is 95% on vibrate mode...

Last edited by MediaPlex; Apr 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
MediaPlex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:37 AM   #11
betch252
macrumors newbie

Solution

Hello,

It seems that the iPhone 5 is set to monitor it's own vibration and adjust it if it sense that it is making a noise.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...brate-function

Excellent idea and very cleverly done but it would also be nice to have the option to turn it off....
betch252 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:16 PM   #12
blue54321
macrumors newbie

i've replaced my iphone 5 two days ago because of the loud, cracking noise coming from the camera lens on the back of the phone. got yesterday replacement but i've noticed some weird vibration issue.
vibration is working as usual when I am not talking on the phone, but during the call, if I get any message, mail or notification, I get the soft vibration, like it is dying. Didn't had that on the first iphone 5. Also compared with my girlfriends i5.
also the volume up button is loose and makes cracking noise. it really disturbs.
so, i think there is nothing than call apple again..
blue54321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:29 PM   #13
maliu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by betch252 View Post
Hello,

It seems that the iPhone 5 is set to monitor it's own vibration and adjust it if it sense that it is making a noise.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...brate-function

Excellent idea and very cleverly done but it would also be nice to have the option to turn it off....
That article states that this feature is not available on any Apple headsets, so this is not a feature present in any current iPhone.
maliu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone