Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:31 PM   #1
jroth21
macrumors member

Verizon hotspot incoming call

Okay I had a thread open saying $30 unlimited data hotspot for iPhone 5. Is there a way on Verizon to not get interrupted by an incoming call? Like turn calls off or have them block from coming in so you do not get interrupted?

I really did not think about this til someone posted this in my other thread but was wondering if there is a workaround. I know you cannot talk and surf at same time but is there away to shut calls off?

Thank You,

jroth21
jroth21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2
dornbosj
macrumors newbie

good question

I too am wondering this same thing. I'm happy to be on Verizon's network but need a workaround for the interruptions to a hotspot connection. Does turning the DND on an iPhone work for this? I've looked in 'My Verizon' and don't see any universal blocking features.
dornbosj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:37 PM   #3
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroth21 View Post
Okay I had a thread open saying $30 unlimited data hotspot for iPhone 5. Is there a way on Verizon to not get interrupted by an incoming call? Like turn calls off or have them block from coming in so you do not get interrupted?

I really did not think about this til someone posted this in my other thread but was wondering if there is a workaround. I know you cannot talk and surf at same time but is there away to shut calls off?

Thank You,

jroth21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dornbosj View Post
I too am wondering this same thing. I'm happy to be on Verizon's network but need a workaround for the interruptions to a hotspot connection. Does turning the DND on an iPhone work for this? I've looked in 'My Verizon' and don't see any universal blocking features.
Move to an android device that doesn't have the limitations of the iphone on CDMA. Many of the Android devices on Verizon can handle voice and data simultaneously.

Cheers,
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroth21 View Post

Thank You,

jroth21
Yes, there is.
Switch to AT&T or Tmobile
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:49 PM   #5
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes, there is.
Switch to AT&T or Tmobile
That works too!

Cheers,
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:53 PM   #6
dornbosj
macrumors newbie

iphone5 and verizon workaround

Thanks for your responses, but I'm looking for a way to block all calls on my verizon iphone5. I'm not interested in leaving verizon or my iphone 5.
dornbosj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornbosj View Post
Thanks for your responses, but I'm looking for a way to block all calls on my verizon iphone5. I'm not interested in leaving verizon or my iphone 5.
Honestly I don't think there is a way to do that.
Phone calls take priority on Verizon and Sprint and all data stops in order for the call to come in to the iphone.
That would drive me nuts if I was tethering and downloading something and the download keeps dropping every time someone decided to call.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:02 PM   #8
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Honestly I don't think there is a way to do that.
Phone calls take priority on Verizon and Sprint and all data stops in order for the call to come in to the iphone.
That would drive me nuts if I was tethering and downloading something and the download keeps dropping every time someone decided to call.
I've never seen a way to do that either. It a limitation of the CDMA versions of the iPhone which I hope is remedied in the next release.

Cheers,
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer06 View Post
I've never seen a way to do that either. It a limitation of the CDMA versions of the iPhone which I hope is remedied in the next release.

Cheers,
Aren't we all. Pretty sure they would have to change the antenna design so it might be delayed for iPhone 6. I'll try to keep optimistic though.
Diseal3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:56 PM   #10
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

Maybe try DND. I'm like 99% sure that it won't work.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:01 AM   #11
killerrobot
macrumors 68020

Well if it's the same people calling that always interrupt and if you never want to talk to them ever again, you can block 5 phone numbers through your account preferences on My Verizon.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:17 AM   #12
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Does VzW allow you to forward your calls via the network? You might try that - but you'd need a number to forward them to...

Edit: looks like they do, use *72 followed by the 10-digit phone number to activate.
smithrh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:12 AM   #13
panzer06
macrumors 68030

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that if you use GoogleVoice you can turn on their DND and all calls go to VM. These folks had the full GV / Sprint integration so I'm not sure how it would work on Verizon.

Cheers,
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:08 PM   #14
smithrh
macrumors 68000

The option I gave above should work - basically the network is told that any calls for your number should be forwarded to the specified number.

The iPhone isn't involved, the network intercepts the call and doesn't ring your phone.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 02:06 PM   #15
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
The option I gave above should work - basically the network is told that any calls for your number should be forwarded to the specified number.

The iPhone isn't involved, the network intercepts the call and doesn't ring your phone.
That option will work as long as the person has another number to fwd to. Many people do not. It would be nice if Verizon had a simple send all calls to VM feature.

Cheers,

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone