Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Korea's etnews.com [Google translation], fingerprint sensor firm AuthenTec has notified a number of its customers, including Samsung, HP, Dell, Lenovo, and Fujitsu, that it will cease offering its technology to those companies as of next year. Apple agreed to acquire AuthenTec in July, and AuthenTec's board is expected to approve the acquisition next month.

AuthenTec's current customers are said to be "in a state of panic" as they seek to secure alternative suppliers for the fingerprint recognition technology that has been seeing increasing adoption. But with AuthenTec holding a significant amount of intellectual property rights in the field, those companies may have difficulty finding adequate alternatives.

authentec_logo-500x126.jpg

Apple has not signaled its exact area of interest for AuthenTec's technology, but many observers have speculated that Apple is interested in incorporating it into its mobile devices for user recognition and other purposes.

The security of fingerprint scanning may also play into longer-term efforts at Apple for developing mobile payment solutions, although the company is said to be deliberately holding back on a public implementation as it explores the competitive landscape and potential. Rumors had suggested that Apple was looking at including near field communications (NFC) in the iPhone 5 in order to facilitate mobile payments integrated with the new Passbook app in iOS 6, but Apple elected not to pursue that technology with this round of iPhone hardware revisions.

Article Link: AuthenTec Said to Cut Off Non-Apple Fingerprint Sensor Customers in 2013

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Another cudgel to wield against Samsung. But hopefully they will actually use the technology themselves. Would love Fast User Switching multiuser on iPad.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
I can't wait for this!!! I'm having visions of never having to log in to an online account ever again :D!!!

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Whew! I quickly glanced at the post headline and mistook it for 'Authentec to cut off non-Apple fingers' and thought that's harsh, making them have to use a stylus!:rolleyes:
/
/

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Seems gimmicky. Just my personal opinion. Especially with apps like "Find My iPhone" that can shut off your device.

DanielMyst777

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
Annnnnd the Goliath that is Apple gobbles up another company again to "incorporate" their innovation with total disregard of the consequences of what it will do to the world.

They are winning again but Monopoly isn't just a game :apple:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Annnnnd the Goliath that is Apple gobbles up another company again to "incorporate" their innovation with total disregard of the consequences of what it will do to the world.

They are winning again but Monopoly isn't just a game :apple:
If this company holds most of the technology I have to wonder how long before an anti trust suit is filed.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
If history s any indicator... The future is not so bright. Remember the hype surrounding Apple acquiring Liquid Metal IP right? So far this has only produced SIM ejector. Then there were Placebase, Poly9, and C3 Technologies. Result? Apple Maps :p

And obviously HP and Samsung have nothing to worry about. Here is a list of companies producing fingerprint sensors:

Alps Electric
Atmel
Atrua
AU Optronics
Authentec
BMF
Casio
Casio + Alps
Cecrop, KSI, Sannaedle
Dakty (formerly Delsy)
Digital Persona
EgisTec (formerly LighTuning)
ElecVision
Ethentica
Fidelica
Fingerprint Cards
FlashScan3D
Fujitsu
Hitachi
Idex
IMEN
Infineon (Siemens)
LighTuning (now Egistec)
LiteOn
Melfas
Mitsumi
NEC
NTT
NanoIdent
Silicon Display Technology
Seiko Epson
Sharp
Sonavation
Sony
Symwave
TesTech / Integrated Biometrics
TST touchless
Ultrascan
Upek
Validity
Veridicom

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A finger print scanner on the iPad to switch user would be an awesome feature.

Or facial recognition.
Obviously with these things as secondary log in options.

"Hi Dagless, I'm at work, can you load up my account and send over those files"
"No sorry I don't have your face or fingerprints"

Bonfire22

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
I can see this being great. Build finger print scanning into the home button. This can be the primary way to unlock your phone to use it, backed up my a pin code if for some reason that it fails (due to a cut on your finger).

I'm guessing that this could make financial transactions much more secure.

Our phones would me more secure, without having to do anything different. Someone else picks up our phone, tries to use it and it won't wake up. We on the other hand simply press the home button wake it up and carry on as usual. Nice security without having to enter a pass-code in a secure pin number.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
What if I have a cut on my thumb/finger(s)? Will I be locked out? :eek:

This technology reads beneath the skin, not the skin itself, says it can read through callouses and more.

----------

Seems gimmicky. Just my personal opinion. Especially with apps like "Find My iPhone" that can shut off your device.

This isn't so much to prevent use of your phone as it is to enable use of other secured services from your phone such as payments and logins to sites like the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.